2 Pages V   1 2 >  
String Gauge Advice For B Tuning
Ben Higgins
Jun 24 2012, 04:55 PM
Instructor
Hey Dudes, I wrote a riff that require that I tune down to B standard if I want to get the full effect. What sort of gauge of strings should I be looking at ?

Bearing in mind, I'd still like to be able to play lead with it too. In standard tuning I use light strings, 9 - 42 so what would be the equivalent set to suit me for tuning to B standard ?

Cheers ! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jun 24 2012, 05:14 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 24 2012, 06:55 PM) *
Hey Dudes, I wrote a riff that require that I tune down to B standard if I want to get the full effect. What sort of gauge of strings should I be looking at ?

Bearing in mind, I'd still like to be able to play lead with it too. In standard tuning I use light strings, 9 - 42 so what would be the equivalent set to suit me for tuning to B standard ?

Cheers ! biggrin.gif

I had to look from google how low B is but I'll recommend some hybrid strings. Normal in up and extra thick in bottom.
But I think that there is someone who's thrilled that you're going to the "dark side" of the looooow tuning wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 24 2012, 05:41 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I prefer tension with lower tunings, keeps the note clearer. I'd recommend a .64 to .70 for the low B. Maybe a setup like this:

Low to High:

B - (.64)
E - (.52)
A - (.36)
D - (.26)
F# - (.13)
B - (.10)

Thats still pretty light I think for the higher strings, too light actually for me but its all preference depending on how tight you want the tension.

I also recommend LaBella strings because they have great, crisp tone, and make string sets specifically for Drop tunings on a six string.

http://www.bigcitystrings.com/extended.htm

You can also buy whatever set you want, and replace your low B with an individually made "7th string", which are geared for specific gauges on seven strings but can easily be applied. You can get a stock size up to .81

http://www.bigcitystrings.com/7string.htm

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 24 2012, 06:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Jun 24 2012, 05:14 PM) *
But I think that there is someone who's thrilled that you're going to the "dark side" of the looooow tuning wink.gif

It's intended for some new ideas I've started work on but they probably won't see the light of day for a number of years due to it being a 4th album.. after the 3 I've already written wink.gif

Although there's no reason why the B tuning can't feature elsewhere in the meantime smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 24 2012, 06:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Great advice from Uncreator here. I use 14-68 for Standard Bb and it's plenty tight for me. I can still do some leads, but people who are used to thin strings with lots of "play" in them will not like this setup. I'm still not as free with my leads.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 24 2012, 06:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 24 2012, 05:41 PM) *
I prefer tension with lower tunings, keeps the note clearer. I'd recommend a .64 to .70 for the low B. Maybe a setup like this:

Low to High:

B - (.64)
E - (.52)
A - (.36)
D - (.26)
F# - (.13)
B - (.10)

Thats still pretty light I think for the higher strings, too light actually for me but its all preference depending on how tight you want the tension.

I also recommend LaBella strings because they have great, crisp tone, and make string sets specifically for Drop tunings on a six string.

http://www.bigcitystrings.com/extended.htm

You can also buy whatever set you want, and replace your low B with an individually made "7th string", which are geared for specific gauges on seven strings but can easily be applied. You can get a stock size up to .81

http://www.bigcitystrings.com/7string.htm

Yeah I think the tension is good for the clarity, definitely.. 10 probably is still too light. How do you guys buy a pack of strings for this ? Do you buy them individually or do you have a 'go to' pack that you get ? smile.gif

Thanks for the advice !

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 24 2012, 06:39 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 24 2012, 12:20 PM) *
Yeah I think the tension is good for the clarity, definitely.. 10 probably is still too light. How do you guys buy a pack of strings for this ? Do you buy them individually or do you have a 'go to' pack that you get ? smile.gif

Thanks for the advice !

Well I try to find a set that comes to close to what I need. I used to pick out my strings from an 8-string set. What about these strings?

DR Extra Heavy Tite
11 14 18 28w 38w 50w

- or -

D'Addario Drop C XL
12 16 20 34w 46w 60w

This post has been edited by thefireball: Jun 24 2012, 06:42 PM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 24 2012, 06:40 PM
The first link has various sets of complete strings in them. Under the "Drop Six" category. Varying from 10-64 to 13-70

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 24 2012, 06:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 24 2012, 06:39 PM) *
Well I try to find a set that comes to close to what I need. I used to pick out my strings from an 8-string set. What about these strings?

Black Diamond Medium
11 14 18 28w 38w 50w

I've found these, they might be good. Not sure if the .60 gauge would be heavy enough for a low B ? I'm not experienced in the low tunings at all laugh.gif

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/95...r_strings_12_60

Alternatively, I could just get a 7 string somehow and do it that way ?? Not that I can afford one now but that way I'd get to keep my high notes... I don't know why I didn't think of that..

(Because you're a dufus, Ben)

Oh yeah, that's why ! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jun 24 2012, 06:42 PM

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 24 2012, 06:47 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 24 2012, 12:42 PM) *
I've found these, they might be good. Not sure if the .60 gauge would be heavy enough for a low B ? I'm not experienced in the low tunings at all laugh.gif

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/95...r_strings_12_60

Alternatively, I could just get a 7 string somehow and do it that way ?? Not that I can afford one now but that way I'd get to keep my high notes... I don't know why I didn't think of that..

(Because you're a dufus, Ben)

Oh yeah, that's why ! tongue.gif

Yeah, I would say the link you gave is plenty for them too. I edited my post, btw, while you were replying I guess. biggrin.gif

This is precisely why I want a 7 String too. Plus they sound so much better for what i want to do than a 6 string sound.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 24 2012, 08:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
You could just get a seven string set where the higher six strings are the gauge you like, then just install the the lower six strings. That way it will be just like having a six string that you're used to, minus the high E plus a low B.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 26 2012, 03:06 PM
Instructor
How about some Baritone 12-68 strings? smile.gif They would make a perfect match for the B, Ben! Can you tell me more about your de-tuning experience? I'm curious biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 26 2012, 03:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 26 2012, 03:06 PM) *
How about some Baritone 12-68 strings? smile.gif They would make a perfect match for the B, Ben! Can you tell me more about your de-tuning experience? I'm curious biggrin.gif

That sounds good smile.gif

I haven't tuned down to B yet.. the lowest I've gone is C# with some regular gauge strings and they're floppy as anything ! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 26 2012, 11:42 PM
Thats nothing, I know some people who go to D and C standard....and I mean that as an octave below normal D and C standard, and on a guitar laugh.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 26 2012, 11:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 26 2012, 05:42 PM) *
Thats nothing, I know some people who go to D and C standard....and I mean that as an octave below normal D and C standard, and on a guitar laugh.gif

Holy smokes!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 27 2012, 08:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 26 2012, 11:42 PM) *

Is that even possible ??? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 27 2012, 01:23 PM
Instructor
Yes biggrin.gif using elevator cables as strings biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 27 2012, 01:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 27 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Yes biggrin.gif using elevator cables as strings biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

I think you would need those wires that run up the sides of the Golden Gate Bridge ! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 27 2012, 02:18 PM
Instructor
biggrin.gif how come I haven't thought of that? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 27 2012, 09:34 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 27 2012, 03:44 AM) *
Is that even possible ??? ohmy.gif

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3782113/Circle%20K...ngs%20CHURG.mp3

Not mine, this one done on a 28" baritone I believe, with a .95 or .110 for the low D (Octave lowered D that is)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:40 AM