Humidifier And Guitars
matt r
Feb 3 2010, 09:14 PM
GMC:er
Hey everyone

I recently bought a humidifier for my apartment, I am concerned that the rapid change in humidity will warp the neck on my guitar. Its unfinished goncalo alves with ebony. I know some people prefer to humidify rooms with instruments. Any ideas?

Thanks
-Matt

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 3 2010, 11:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
I can't say that I have any ideas, but I can tell you this:

I left my old favorite guitar in our rehearsal room over a couple of nights just standing there, not in case etc. When I picked it up later the intonation of the guitar was totally wacked and have been ever since. :/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 4 2010, 12:41 AM
Instructor
I'm not really sure, what humidifier did you get? I hope it's not industrial sized one smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Feb 4 2010, 02:58 AM
Instructor
Well, you should control the level of humidity that doesn't affect wood, that way your guitar neck shouldn't get warped smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
matt r
Feb 4 2010, 06:25 AM
GMC:er
Yea. Its not that big, the cheapest one i could get turned out to be in the shape of a penguin, actually has penguin eyes and a nose on the water tank ahaha. For whatever reason it just pours out steam, cant really adjust it. I think i'll just leave it in the case for now so it can get slowly acclimated to the new humidity. i can see how leaving a guitar in a rehearsal room could whack out the intonation. this neck i have now has a dual action truss rod which is supposed to cancel out the severity of seasonal changes with regards to the intonation and bow. Although the G string is impossible to intonate properly. hope it works spent like 500 dollars on it, I'm just concerned because its unfinished. It might absorb the moisture more readily then a finished neck. can't let my baby get hurt!

btw i was checkin out that RHCP sound tutorial, totally sweet.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 17 2010, 03:56 PM
Instructor
buy one of those little small white packages that come with some electronic appliances to prevent humidity damage...and put it inside the guitar case

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
sted
Feb 17 2010, 05:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
Wood is an organic material and will react to any extreme environmental changes, especially untreated, best thing you can do is to always store it in a decent case, unless you live in the kalahari or the arctic this should stop any problems.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:19 AM