2 Pages V  < 1 2  
I Have A Pod 2.0...should I Get An Amp As Well?
Fran
Jun 16 2008, 03:55 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I believe normal or hi-fi speakers are made to listen to music CDs/DVDs etc, while monitors are specific for recording, giving a pure instrument sound without colouring it at all.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 16 2008, 04:48 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Good description Fran - studio monitors ideally deliver a flat neutral sound. All speakers and cabinets have some colouration but the purpose of studio monitors is to try to reproduce the recorded track as authentically as possible so that you can then determine how much, if any, eq'ing etc you need to add/subtract along with providing as close as possible an accurate picture of stereo image, depth and timing.

Hi-fi speakers, on the other hand, are there to sound appealing to your personal tonal preference and so may enhance particular frequencies and subtract others. Hi-fi buffs often refer to studio monitors as 'sterile' and 'fatiguing' whereas, arguably, a more precise description would be 'accurate' - and unmercifully so. Essentially a studio monitor is not there to flatter your mix but display it accurately - warts and all - so that you can decide what to do regarding mixing and mastering.

Much the same is true for hi-fi vs studio amplification btw, hi-fi buffs will deliberately preference a particular combination of pre/power amp with a given set of speakers because it provides a certain 'sound'. In studios many people choose to get active monitors rather than a passive speaker/power amp combination to avoid any possible problem with getting the 'wrong' combo.

Hi-fi monitors additionally differ from studio monitors in that the latter will often have TRS 1/4inch and/or XLR ins whilst the former will probably take some sort of phono. (My main Tannoy studio monitors take a digital s-pdif and an XLR - my hi-fi Sonus Fabers however take a bridged pair of 1/8th phono.) That is, monitors usually use balanced 'pro' type connections and hi-fi uses 'consumer' type.

Final bit - and have a look at Andrew's blog for more on this - studio monitors ultimately can only perform to the best of their abilities if properly located. This often involves proper positioning and using frequency traps. Some (usually the more expensive) monitors will have dip switches that allow you to attenuate or gain particular frequencies as a means to account for un-even room response.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 16 2008, 07:06 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Wow Tony, that is what I call a detailed answer! It's great having you guys in the forums, I learn so much each day wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:06 PM