Line 6 POD 2.0
psychoguitarist_...
Sep 6 2006, 03:12 PM
GMC:er
From: Bangalore, Karnataka, India, Asia (in case u don't know where India is)
Can anybody tell me if the Line 6 POD 2.0 is worth buying?????
I've played for about 6 months now and i really need something good to practise on.............. Any help????? :?: :?: :?:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
chipk1
Sep 6 2006, 08:39 PM
I have been researching the same question. Talked to a local music store yesterday about it and the told me that a few music teachers had ordered them there and sold them on ebay shortly after trying them. They said they didn't like them and are now using zoom G2 for classes? But I was told here that Line 6 is much better??? I really need the straight up and up because I will have to drive about 35 miles each way to the nearest dealer to purchase one! I like the G2 but I would like more effects without spending several hundred $$ if possible.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 7 2006, 08:41 AM
GMC Founder
Pro: Easy to use and dial in decent amplifier tones, killer rock/metal rhythm guitar recording

Con: Effects (chorus, reverb, delay) not fantastic sounding (go for something from BOSS if you want better effects).

Hope it helps,

+Quote Post
psychoguitarist_...
Sep 8 2006, 11:34 AM
From: Bangalore, Karnataka, India, Asia (in case u don't know where India is)
Do i need an amplifier to use POD 2.0 or can i use my headphones?????? :?: :?: :?: :?:

+Quote Post
Tank
Sep 8 2006, 11:59 AM
GMC Veteran
QUOTE (psychoguitarist_619)
Do i need an amplifier to use POD 2.0 or can i use my headphones??????   :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

Pod's have a headphone socket, so you can noodle away to your hearts content, without parents (or in my case the wife and kids) complaining smile.gif

/T

+Quote Post
brendonward1
Sep 18 2006, 03:31 AM
i have the pod 2.0 and also the boss gt-8

and i will pick the pod over the gt-8 anyday of the week its tht simple the pod just sounds so bloody good

--------------------
(__/)
(O.O)
(> <)
copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

+Quote Post
Shred Cat
Oct 3 2006, 10:46 PM
Sorry to bring this topic back up, but would it sound good on a solid state amp?

I have a Marshall MG and it sucks big time.........

+Quote Post
Fender23strat
Dec 10 2006, 10:43 PM
I just bought the line 6 guitar port system and I like it alright but i just have a question. Is it possible to use it to record my own music on the computer? or what would I have to do to do that?

+Quote Post
bricktop
Dec 10 2006, 10:58 PM
well I have the line6 toneport ux2 which is good for vocals and guitar, electric or acoustic, even has phantom power for conderser mics. I've got two test recordings up at putfile.com/johntkline if you want to hear an electric piece and an acoustic. I just learned how to record so they came out ok, but it will give you some idea of what it's capable of...

john

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
Dec 10 2006, 11:41 PM
Sorry for sounding like a noob but wat exactly is the pod. Do you plug it into your amp and it givs you different amp models and effects or something like that? I guess the question im asking is do you plug it into your amp?

This post has been edited by Mark Schiewe: Dec 10 2006, 11:42 PM

--------------------
Just remember, the last name is pronounced she-we

IPB Image My baby :)

+Quote Post
Fender23strat
Dec 11 2006, 01:04 AM
QUOTE (bricktop @ Dec 10 2006, 03:58 PM) *
well I have the line6 toneport ux2 which is good for vocals and guitar, electric or acoustic, even has phantom power for conderser mics. I've got two test recordings up at putfile.com/johntkline if you want to hear an electric piece and an acoustic. I just learned how to record so they came out ok, but it will give you some idea of what it's capable of...

john

Okay so the recordings are alright but I don't know how you record with it. How do you do it?

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Dec 11 2006, 10:59 AM
QUOTE (Mark Schiewe @ Dec 11 2006, 12:41 AM) *
Sorry for sounding like a noob but wat exactly is the pod. Do you plug it into your amp and it givs you different amp models and effects or something like that? I guess the question im asking is do you plug it into your amp?

Good question.

I remember when I wondered what a lot of "stuff" did - and everything I read included the word POD and I did not have a clue what one was...

Basically a POD is an amp Modelling device that is designed to shape the tone or sound of your guitar for recording purposes primarily.
So, if you are recording your guitar you dont need to have to mic up your amps/speakers etc, the POD is a device that goes in between guitar and recording device (mixer/computer etc). You can set just about anything on the POD from the distance of mics from the amps to the room size, to which type of sound or effect you want to put in etc etc etc and all you need is the guitar and the POD, no amps or mics or effects - the Pod takes care of all that stuff - you just plug the guitar in one end - the computer into the other and the pod can be adjusted to send just about any sound or effect to the recording device. Before Pods came along - you would have to have all the effects/mics/amps etc plugged in and be something of a sound engineer - now even an idiot like me can do it.

The best thing about the POD is that it emulates the sounds of many famous amps and effects. As I am sure you will know - all amps give out different sounds, and many amps nowdays have modelling effects so the amp you have, possibly, emulates the sound of other amps at the switch of a button..the Pod does the same thing and also adds lots of cool effects that would traditionally have come from pedals.

POD for recording - essential

The Pod is primarily for recording or listening through headphones but that is not all - you can put it through an amp also. The problem with that is that as we have already mentioned - guitar amps have a "tone" or sound of their own and so if you dial in a sound in a POD and put it through a guitar amp - then the sound is going to be changed by the guitar amp to something different and so its difficult to get accurate settings through a guitar amp.

POD & guitar amp - not recommended.

The solution is to get an amp that is a flat response amp, one that does not alter the sound. Normally this would not be the best buy for a guitarist as you only get a clean sound out of the amp and they dont have much in the way of effects built in so are pretty limiting for a guitarist but if you put a POD between the guitar and the amp - then what comes out of a flat response amp is the tone you dial in - pretty much like recording. Flat response amps are also typically cheaper than guitar amps.
To find a flat response amp - look at Keyboard or "multi use" amps - these do not shape tone in any way so are ideal - another good feature is that many of them have 3 or more inputs so you can actually play a guitar, a keyboard, a bass and a mic all through just a single amp - stick your POD between guitar and amp and the amp puts out sound you dial into the pod on the channel your using and stays clean on the others - pretty cool eh?

POD & Flat response KB amp - fabulous.

Hope that helps.

ps I have a POD XTLive which is like a Pod on steroids - has lots of built in Pedal effects and stuff - and the best thing is you can download tones from the internet and dowload straight into the pod so in seconds you are playing the guitar sound you searched for and there are millions of them!! - no playing with dials or knobs any more - just search your favourite song or artist = dowload the tone and off you go - and you can save 132 of them on the POD and any you want on your computer

This post has been edited by fretdancer: Dec 11 2006, 11:08 AM

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 11 2006, 11:17 AM
GMC Founder
fretdancer: interesting and informative post! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
n0x
Dec 13 2006, 12:11 AM
fretdancer: I agree with kris, very nice post.. However, I must correct you on one thing. I also own a POD XTL, and according to my knowledge, you do not have to own a flat response amp. Lots of amps out there that contain an FXloop also have an input at the back that is labeled "FX Return" and what that basically does is it bypasses the FXloop within the amp, letting it use only the poweramp section of the amp itself.. Meaning, that the POD XTL is the only Preamp that is used - u can get the pure POD XTL sound out of ur guitar amp :].

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Dec 13 2006, 06:06 PM
QUOTE (n0x @ Dec 13 2006, 01:11 AM) *
fretdancer: I agree with kris, very nice post.. However, I must correct you on one thing. I also own a POD XTL, and according to my knowledge, you do not have to own a flat response amp. Lots of amps out there that contain an FXloop also have an input at the back that is labeled "FX Return" and what that basically does is it bypasses the FXloop within the amp, letting it use only the poweramp section of the amp itself.. Meaning, that the POD XTL is the only Preamp that is used - u can get the pure POD XTL sound out of ur guitar amp :].

Of course you dont need to use a flat response amp - its just that guitar amps are designed to colour the tone of your guitar - that is a good thing normally because a guitar through a flat response amp (withouth a Pod or similar product) sounds awfull. Similarly, Amplifying voice or a CD player through a guitar amp even at very clean settings never sounds very good - the frequency and speaker shapes are designed to make guitars sound good but sound bad at amplifying other instruments and mics etc. This is one reason Guitar amps only have one Input. Whereas keyboard/multiamps and other flat response amps have several inputs, as several things sound good through them such as keyboards, mics, mic'd drums - even bass guitars. Its just the way they are designed.
You are correct that you can effectively bypass the effects in many amps such as yours but that does not make it a flat response amp, it simply means you are bypassing the effects and modelling that is built into it. Underneath, generally speaking, it will still be a guitar designed amp and as such will or should colour the tone to a greater or lesser extent.
Therefore, what comes out of a guitar designed amp via a Pod and a FR amp through a Pod will be different things. That is not to say that one is right and one is wrong but if you were to set up the Pod for recording and then play that through a FR amp - it will sound pretty much the same whereas through a guitar amp you will almost certainly have to make changes to the POD tone output to compensate for the tone changes via the amp.
All I am saying is that a Flat response amp is the ideal partner to the Pod and to explain what a Pod is doing and how. Traditionally, tone has come from the amp and different types of sound are associated with different amps. With a Pod the amp is no longer as important and can be used simply to "amplify" the sound not to "colour" the sound (as the Pod is doing that) and so this is why a FR amp would be preferable when using a POD to shape the tone.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
n0x
Dec 14 2006, 01:51 AM
ah, yeh true.. I shouldnt have said "correct" - my bad smile.gif. Ya I get where u're getting at.. I aint know much about Amp mechanism and such... since I've plugged in through the FX Return, shaping the tone through the amp is impossible, all the knobs, volume features, etc don't do anything so I pretty much control even amp volume from the pod itself. The only thing that works on the amp is the on/off button so I figured that this is equal to flat response. I gues not.. Ima have to get me one of those though tongue.gif. Cheers for the advice smile.gif I learn from u daily, hehe.

This post has been edited by n0x: Dec 14 2006, 01:52 AM

+Quote Post
Mo Pizzle
Dec 16 2006, 11:39 PM
Hi Im new here. I just joined 3 days ago. So far im really enjoying the lessons. Anyways..I have a Zoom GFX-1 I use with headphones attached, and it really sounds great. The delay isnt that great, but everything else about it sounds great. I agree with Kristopher that the Boss effects are the best but if you are on a budget the Zoom GFX-1 is a great tool to have. You can pick one up for about 60 bucks new off of ebay. Mine was 70 new from SameDayMusic.com.

Hope this helps

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 17 2006, 10:17 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Mo Pizzle @ Dec 17 2006, 01:39 AM) *
Hi Im new here. I just joined 3 days ago. So far im really enjoying the lessons. Anyways..I have a Zoom GFX-1 I use with headphones attached, and it really sounds great. The delay isnt that great, but everything else about it sounds great. I agree with Kristopher that the Boss effects are the best but if you are on a budget the Zoom GFX-1 is a great tool to have. You can pick one up for about 60 bucks new off of ebay. Mine was 70 new from SameDayMusic.com.

Hope this helps

Yes the zoom multi effect have really got good over the years - I remember the first ones were horrible - but nowadays you get lots for your bucs. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Papakautis
Dec 24 2008, 11:46 PM
Hello guys, I've got a Toneport GX and some spare money... would you recommend me to get a POD? I must admit that I'm not 100% content with the sound I get from the Gearbox program I got with the Toneport... but then I don't know that much about recording
I would appriciate any help and information about the differences smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Stratocaster
Line6 Spider II 75w
Picked the guitar up in June 2007

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 25 2008, 04:16 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Papakautis @ Dec 24 2008, 11:46 PM) *
Hello guys, I've got a Toneport GX and some spare money... would you recommend me to get a POD? I must admit that I'm not 100% content with the sound I get from the Gearbox program I got with the Toneport... but then I don't know that much about recording
I would appriciate any help and information about the differences smile.gif

Well as far as I know (and I own a Toneport GX & a POD X3) the sounds you get are the same, as both devices share the same amp models, effects and extra model packs. So if you are unhappy with the sound delivered by toneport chances are you won't like POD soun either.

Toneports are pretty much like PODs, but they can't opperate on their own, they need Gearbox to run. PODs on the other hand can run alone or through Gearbox.

I must say I'm quite happy with Line-6 tones. Best out there imho.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:49 PM