2 Pages V  < 1 2  
What Is A Good Overdrive Pedal For Metal Leads?
Roythebattousai
Oct 19 2008, 05:40 PM
GMC:er
I love my Tube Screamer so much.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
♫♫♫ Gotta love music. ♫♫♫
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 19 2008, 06:04 PM
I will look into that one, but would a overdrive pedal sound good over a distortion pedal? Are they allowed to be on at the same time?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Oct 19 2008, 06:08 PM
it will be VERY fuzzy, and create A LOT of feedback problems.

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 19 2008, 06:13 PM
hmm, that's not good, is there any solution to this problem?

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 19 2008, 06:33 PM
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Oct 19 2008, 10:08 PM) *
it will be VERY fuzzy, and create A LOT of feedback problems.

thats only if you turn everything up on the OD all the way. Although I like the feedback and fuzz my OD pedal produce, it can also be turned down to be just a standard boost that's quiet and give your sound a nice beefier tone.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 19 2008, 06:51 PM
So with the proper eq, I can have both a distortion and an overdrive pedal on at once?

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 19 2008, 07:30 PM
Yes, of course. I use it all the time.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 19 2008, 07:34 PM
awesome, thanks

by the way, is this the metal muff you are using?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmon...526-i1165447.gc

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Oct 19 2008, 07:38 PM
if you configure the the pedals' EQs right, yeah. You could have your distortion pedal set to teh br00talz, but instead of using your OD to add more gain to the signal, you can turn the gain on the OD down, and have the Level (or whatever) turned up to boost the signal, or make it louder without the extra fuzz and feedback from adding more gain.

if you check out the EHX Metal Muff, like Vince mentioned, you'll find that it might be a distortion pedal, (a dang good one, too) but it has something called a Top Boost, which adds more treble to your sound, so you can play leads while cutting through the mix at the same time. Its kinda like 2 pedals in 1. So i second that you check out the Metal Muff smile.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 19 2008, 07:41 PM
thats my baby! Be sure to try both out first. What sounds good to me may not be good to you smile.gif

QUOTE (Fullmetal_Tmd @ Oct 19 2008, 11:38 PM) *
if you configure the the pedals' EQs right, yeah. You could have your distortion pedal set to teh br00talz, but instead of using your OD to add more gain to the signal, you can turn the gain on the OD down, and have the Level (or whatever) turned up to boost the signal, or make it louder without the extra fuzz and feedback from adding more gain.

if you check out the EHX Metal Muff, like Vince mentioned, you'll find that it might be a distortion pedal, (a dang good one, too) but it has something called a Top Boost, which adds more treble to your sound, so you can play leads while cutting through the mix at the same time. Its kinda like 2 pedals in 1. So i second that you check out the Metal Muff smile.gif

I dont like the top boost though. I hate over the top treble. That's why I stick to my OD pedal to cut through the mix no problem while still retaining a nice beefy over driven tone that the top boost doesnt deliver smile.gif. Its by all means a great pedal so don't hesitate.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 19 2008, 07:46 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Keeley modded Ibanez Tubescreamer, perfect smile.gif

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 19 2008, 07:47 PM
Cool, I'll be sure to check out some pedals cause its my 15th bday soon and I'll be able to get like 2 or 3

Thanks for all the help : )

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 19 2008, 07:57 PM
Good luck on the search of your tone smile.gif

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Oct 22 2008, 12:06 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Ibanez Tubescreamer, the absolut classic!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Oct 26 2008, 01:33 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (VinceG @ Oct 19 2008, 06:40 PM) *
I dont like the sound of Boss Metalzone. Its too restrictive or too digital. Even though its a Metal distortion, it has that trebbly awful sound. If I were you, I'd try the Metalmuff. Its the only pedal I use for Metal.

I didn`t quite like the original Metal muff, too many knobs:P
But the pocket metal muff was awesome!
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/gui...muff/index.html
Had a very nice and tight metal distortion, even when i tuned to C. Sounded badass. And it`S cheap, only 900 NOK in Norway. And Norway is a pretty expensive country, most pedals are 1000+

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:23 AM