2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Which Guitar Would You Say Is "better"?
Praetorian
Jul 3 2008, 04:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I currently play a '06 Fender Strat Showmaster (made in Korea) with S-S-S Seymour Duncan pickups that I am quite happy with. I found a guy selling a '04 Fender Mexican Strat with stock pickups for very cheap. I was thinking about getting it, but was wondering which guitar I should keep? I wanted a second guitar, but I wanted a dual humbucker metal guitar. So, I was going to sell one of the strats. Are they very similar? Is one obviously better than the other?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 3 2008, 06:13 PM
Instructor
wow slow down, don't rush it mate and play wisely. If you are happy with you current guitar just keep it for now. You risk a lot with a new strat replacement.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 3 2008, 06:26 PM
GMC:er
I'd say the one you like best is the best.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 3 2008, 06:31 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 3 2008, 01:13 PM) *
wow slow down, don't rush it mate and play wisely. If you are happy with you current guitar just keep it for now. You risk a lot with a new strat replacement.

Yeah...that's what I was thinking. I really do like my Showmaster...it plays very nicely for me. It is the first Fender I have owned and I guess I was just wondering if the Mexican ones are considered a better guitar than the Korean ones. I guess it's a silly question though since I have no complaints about my current one! I have the chance to get the Mexican one for almost nothing...maybe I could just re-sell it!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Jul 3 2008, 06:48 PM

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 3 2008, 07:09 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Korean or Mexican, I don't think there's much of a difference. Stick with the one you like cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 3 2008, 07:54 PM
Instructor
I agree with MickeM. Re-sell that mexican strat to earn some money for new metal axe is the best way to go.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 3 2008, 08:02 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 3 2008, 08:54 PM) *
I agree with MickeM. Re-sell that mexican strat to earn some money for new metal axe is the best way to go.

Yeah, maybe one with two humbuckers. Then you'll have a wide variaty in guitars and possible sounds already.

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 3 2008, 08:04 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 3 2008, 03:02 PM) *
Yeah, maybe one with two humbuckers. Then you'll have a wide variaty in guitars and possible sounds already.

That is what I was originally looking for...then I came across this '04 strat that I don't think has ever been played! I am not one to pass on an opportunity so I may just pick it up to sell for an ESP...or an Ibanez or Jackson. Haven't made up my mind, but dual humbuckers is definitely what I am looking for!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 3 2008, 08:08 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jul 3 2008, 09:04 PM) *
That is what I was originally looking for...then I came across this '04 strat that I don't think has ever been played!

A never-been-played guitar isn't neccessary better than one that's been played on. Could aswell be the opposite, you never know.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 3 2008, 09:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jul 3 2008, 09:04 PM) *
then I came across this '04 strat that I don't think has ever been played! I am not one to pass on an opportunity so I may just pick it up to sell for an ESP...

Be careful tho, mexican strat 4 years old is not exactly an oportunity, specially if it has some flaws. Check out why the price is so low..

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 3 2008, 09:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
korean made fanders are a bit better and pricier than mexican models so stay with you showmaster and get a metal axe!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 3 2008, 10:54 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 3 2008, 04:23 PM) *
Be careful tho, mexican strat 4 years old is not exactly an oportunity, specially if it has some flaws. Check out why the price is so low..

Thanks for all the advice guys...I'll check it out and let you know!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 4 2008, 12:39 AM
Here is the guitar...brand new, never been played '04 Mexi strat.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Xose Pineda
Jul 4 2008, 01:16 AM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jul 4 2008, 01:39 AM) *
Here is the guitar...brand new, never been played '04 Mexi strat.

Seems ok, I think the deal depends on the price of course. But, as one mate said above, the best is the one you like more...

Cheers!

--------------------

xosepineda

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 4 2008, 01:36 AM
QUOTE (Xose Pineda @ Jul 3 2008, 08:16 PM) *
Seems ok, I think the deal depends on the price of course. But, as one mate said above, the best is the one you like more...

Cheers!

I agree. From what I have seen trying to research '04 Mexi strats, they seem to go for around $300 in good used condition. Does this sound right? The guy wants to trade me a 14 year old mountain bike that I have in my garage for it. I haven't ridden the thing in 9 years, so I figure why not?!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 4 2008, 02:02 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Try the guitar before you decide, check that it doesn't buzz on the frets and the action is reasonably low, and that the neck is in good shape. Ask him why he wants to sell it so bad. Seems strange that he is trading a guitar for an old bike unless the bike is good!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 4 2008, 03:59 AM
QUOTE (Fran @ Jul 3 2008, 09:02 PM) *
Try the guitar before you decide, check that it doesn't buzz on the frets and the action is reasonably low, and that the neck is in good shape. Ask him why he wants to sell it so bad. Seems strange that he is trading a guitar for an old bike unless the bike is good!

It was a killer bike back in the day. It still is a great bike, but old technology drops in value extremely fast in the biking world. To be honest, I would look to sell it for about the same that the guitar is worth...it just isn't worth that much to me anymore since I never use it. I would never even know it was out of my garage...but I sure would notice a new guitar! He is selling it because he bought it on a whim in '04 and never got into learning. He said it has been sitting in his closet ever since.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 4 2008, 10:34 AM
I'd risk it for a cheap Am strat.

If you're satisfied already, I'd tell you to keep it unless something obviously better occurs!

best of luck mate

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 4 2008, 01:09 PM
Instructor
Well, if you don't really use the bike I think you can take the Mexican Strat then. At least with it you can play, and that is always a good thing. Also you can sell it maybe for more 400$ if it is brand new. Check out the frets, they should be all equal and no worn out places whatsoever. Also check for scratches on the entire guitar in detail. Check the bridge, and fret buzzing on all the strings and all the frets. Also check the necks curvature to see if it is maybe to curved. It looks like a nice guitar, you can definitely resell it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 4 2008, 02:14 PM
Lets go fishing!
try not to be too caught up in where a guitar is made, the model, or the brand! I have made this mistake with gear in the past, its really about what suits you the best. I would'nt part with your showmaster wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:39 PM