2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Are You Interested?, HOW TO START A BAND
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 22 2020, 08:39 PM
Instructor
Hi guys! How are you?

As some of you may know, my band Cirse broke up the last year and now I have a new band called Ramen. I was thinking that I can share with you many details about my experiences with Cirse, and now with Ramen regarding composition, arranging, production, recording, playing live, dealing with bandmates, recording video clips, live sessions, marketing, press, social networks, youtube, spotify, and lots of things more.

With Cirse, we've released 4 studio albums, one live with an Orchestra and 2 Eps, wetoured all along Argentina, México, Paraguay, and Uruguay, and we played with bands like Metallica, Paramore, Duran Duran, Bring Me The Horizon, Incubus, Dave Mathews band and many other ones.

We are living a new beginning now. Ramen is the same band but with a different singer so in some senses we are starting again but with much more experiences and knowledge.

Attached Image
Martin Magliano (Drummer) - Sebastián Leopardi (Bass Player) and me. That day we decided to continue together and start a new band.

Attached Image
Ramen during our last youtube livestream.

EDIT:

I've just started with some posts based on this one:

Band Experiences (Specific questions done here)

Songwriting

Producing & Composing Via Zoom

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Sep 3 2020, 02:32 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2020, 08:43 PM
GMC:er
I'm sure everyone would be interested to hear about the journey of the band from idea to opening for Metallica smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2020, 02:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 22 2020, 04:43 PM) *
I'm sure everyone would be interested to hear about the journey of the band from idea to opening for Metallica smile.gif

Nice! Let's see what GMCers say about it! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 23 2020, 03:23 PM
Definitely!
So many many musicians just quit when their band, especially a band that's been around a long time breaks up. What's it like to re-group? What's going to stay the same? What's going to be different?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 23 2020, 04:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'd be very interested buddy, Duran Duran Hall from my area, they had a residency at a club in Birmingham called "The Rum Runner" one of the Taylor brothers used to live by a friend of mine.

I'd like to hear about how you got the gig with Metallica and Duran Duran, how you come up with your arrangements/compositions etc

Also the trials and tribulations of being in Cirse as much as you can without causing hassle obviously wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jul 23 2020, 07:01 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I am super interested in this, as my band have been together for 6 months now (terrible year to start, right?), and I feel like we are not getting momentum. Both because of obvious reason, and maybe some not so obvious ones.

I`ve been in bands before, but that`s so long ago, social media wasn`t a thing besides myspace and barely Facebook (and I`m only 29 tongue.gif ).

Things I`m curious about (just my stream of consciousness, not necessarily all questions needed to be answered):

Songwriting: Do you all write, or is someone a designated writer? If designated writer(s): How do you tackle if someone doesn`t like a part in a song? How much must the dislike be to change it?

Practices: How to practice smart as a band. Any creative insights to how band practice can/should be structured?

Social media for dummies: Do`s and don`ts. Have you put a lot of effort into something that didn`t really pay off at all?

Can probably list much more later, as this thread (or wherever you post) grows!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 23 2020, 09:06 PM
Some very good questions. It could be a sort of course/class in what to do /not do when getting a music project off the ground.

Todd

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jul 23 2020, 02:01 PM) *
I am super interested in this, as my band have been together for 6 months now (terrible year to start, right?), and I feel like we are not getting momentum. Both because of obvious reason, and maybe some not so obvious ones.

I`ve been in bands before, but that`s so long ago, social media wasn`t a thing besides myspace and barely Facebook (and I`m only 29 tongue.gif ).

Things I`m curious about (just my stream of consciousness, not necessarily all questions needed to be answered):

Songwriting: Do you all write, or is someone a designated writer? If designated writer(s): How do you tackle if someone doesn`t like a part in a song? How much must the dislike be to change it?

Practices: How to practice smart as a band. Any creative insights to how band practice can/should be structured?

Social media for dummies: Do`s and don`ts. Have you put a lot of effort into something that didn`t really pay off at all?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 24 2020, 03:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 23 2020, 11:23 AM) *
Definitely!
So many many musicians just quit when their band, especially a band that's been around a long time breaks up. What's it like to re-group? What's going to stay the same? What's going to be different?

Interesting topic! Many things keep the same, but many changes. I'm writing down all these ideas.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 23 2020, 12:50 PM) *
I'd be very interested buddy, Duran Duran Hall from my area, they had a residency at a club in Birmingham called "The Rum Runner" one of the Taylor brothers used to live by a friend of mine.

I'd like to hear about how you got the gig with Metallica and Duran Duran, how you come up with your arrangements/compositions etc

Also the trials and tribulations of being in Cirse as much as you can without causing hassle obviously wink.gif

Cheers

Nice! We did two concerts with Duran Duran. Amazing experience! Thanks for the ideas Phil, I'll get into this as well! smile.gif

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jul 23 2020, 03:01 PM) *

Interesting ones! I think that I'll start different thread to cover different topics. Feel free to share more questions here!

Yes, it's a tricky year, but maybe not that bad for a new band since touring is not the main thing when you are starting. The secret is to find the way to keep making music.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 23 2020, 05:06 PM) *
Some very good questions. It could be a sort of course/class in what to do /not do when getting a music project off the ground.

Todd

yeah!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jul 25 2020, 01:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
I always enjoy listening to stories or advice from other people; I can learn from their mistakes or mishaps, and they might save me a lot of time and energy smile.gif

How about you make videos once in a while on different sections (finding band mates, finding time and place for band practice, finding a manager, do you need a manager?, and so on)?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 25 2020, 08:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Jul 25 2020, 09:44 AM) *
I always enjoy listening to stories or advice from other people; I can learn from their mistakes or mishaps, and they might save me a lot of time and energy smile.gif

How about you make videos once in a while on different sections (finding band mates, finding time and place for band practice, finding a manager, do you need a manager?, and so on)?

Great ones!! We have lots of experience with Managers, and we didn't have one during the last 3 years! biggrin.gif

I'll cover it as well!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 26 2020, 04:17 AM
Love to hear about that as well! Maybe a series of posts in a thread and some time after each for questions? I'm sure big chunks of it should end up in the wiki.

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 25 2020, 03:20 PM) *
Great ones!! We have lots of experience with Managers, and we didn't have one during the last 3 years! biggrin.gif

I'll cover it as well!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 28 2020, 12:24 PM
Learning Roadie
Have the Cirse fans automatically become Ramen fans? Has there been any negativity from Cirse fans comparing the singers?

Have you any different goals for Ramen, than you had for Cirse?

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 29 2020, 12:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 26 2020, 12:17 AM) *
Love to hear about that as well! Maybe a series of posts in a thread and some time after each for questions? I'm sure big chunks of it should end up in the wiki.

Todd

I was planning to start thread for each topic, and maybe have a thread at my personal board with links to each pne. What do you think?

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 28 2020, 08:24 AM) *
Have the Cirse fans automatically become Ramen fans? Has there been any negativity from Cirse fans comparing the singers?

Have you any different goals for Ramen, than you had for Cirse?

This are very cool questions mate! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 29 2020, 03:43 PM
This will be very interesting! Especially with your experiences in a more 'modern' era of the industry as compared to my own experiences from the late 80's/early 90's!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 29 2020, 04:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 29 2020, 11:43 AM) *
This will be very interesting! Especially with your experiences in a more 'modern' era of the industry as compared to my own experiences from the late 80's/early 90's!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

hehehe yeah! I've started my career in the late 90s so I had to adapt to many changes through the years.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 29 2020, 08:00 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 29 2020, 04:19 PM) *
hehehe yeah! I've started my career in the late 90s so I had to adapt to many changes through the years.

Exactly!! Plus you had the Internet to start with!!
It was a very limited resource for us, we were still relying n Landline Phones and Letters!! If our Record Company wanted to see us they'd send a letter to confirm and Time and Date!! As for trying to organise playing Gigs abroad, that was almost impossible!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 30 2020, 02:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 29 2020, 04:00 PM) *
Exactly!! Plus you had the Internet to start with!!
It was a very limited resource for us, we were still relying n Landline Phones and Letters!! If our Record Company wanted to see us they'd send a letter to confirm and Time and Date!! As for trying to organise playing Gigs abroad, that was almost impossible!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

yeah! We had emails available with our first band. I remember sending emails to every metal label from Europe and USA. Some of them answered and I've sent our band's first album (physical shipping).

One of them really liked the band and songs, but they criticized the production. They were right, I was 18 years old, and I had no much idea of audio and mixing (I was starting my sound studies at the University) The sound was not professional... sad.gif

If you are curious, this was my band during those days:

Oh that mix!! ohmy.gif haha... but I love the songs. There is a 23 minutes long song... we played it live only once.. it was amazing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 30 2020, 06:20 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm not a big fan of prog but some of the tracks I liked, I could hear hints of Iron Maiden and Magnum in there. I have only skimmed through it though.

I bet you were chuffed to bring that out at 18 smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
MrVegas
Jul 31 2020, 03:02 AM
Learning Tone Master
I would like to read about Gabriels, and everyones experience in a band. I would like to know how your bands started and why they ended. How did you find musicians to fill spots you need? How do you and the rest of the band members make sure you set times for writing and practicing, and what your expectations of every member?
During this lockdown I have been doing a lot of guitar practicing (I've learned 6 or so lessons on this site, all from Gabriel and Diego, and some of my fave songs. I practice all these lessons and songs everyday ill upload eventually).
I have been thinking of responding to some ads, and trying to find people to play with. I wonder what I need to know going in. ill play anything just to play with others. Should I ask what I should learn before I jam with them ect.....
I'd like to here your guys good storys of you finding people you were comfortable playing with, your nightmare storys on stage, and bad experiences of meeting strangers to find people to play with. I have stranger phobia, I feel awkward hitting up adds to find people to jam with.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 31 2020, 03:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 30 2020, 02:20 PM) *
I'm not a big fan of prog but some of the tracks I liked, I could hear hints of Iron Maiden and Magnum in there. I have only skimmed through it though.

I bet you were chuffed to bring that out at 18 smile.gif

yes! Maiden was an influence! Fates Warning, Queensryche and some Power Metal bands were also big influences during those days.

QUOTE (MrVegas @ Jul 30 2020, 11:02 PM) *
I would like to read about Gabriels, and everyones experience in a band. I would like to know how your bands started and why they ended. How did you find musicians to fill spots you need? How do you and the rest of the band members make sure you set times for writing and practicing, and what your expectations of every member?
During this lockdown I have been doing a lot of guitar practicing (I've learned 6 or so lessons on this site, all from Gabriel and Diego, and some of my fave songs. I practice all these lessons and songs everyday ill upload eventually).
I have been thinking of responding to some ads, and trying to find people to play with. I wonder what I need to know going in. ill play anything just to play with others. Should I ask what I should learn before I jam with them ect.....
I'd like to here your guys good storys of you finding people you were comfortable playing with, your nightmare storys on stage, and bad experiences of meeting strangers to find people to play with. I have stranger phobia, I feel awkward hitting up adds to find people to jam with.

Awesome!! There are lots of great ideas here! I also think that it's a great idea to hear everybody's experiences about this topics. I'll always incentive everybody to share his experiences about the topic covered. It's a great idea! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:10 PM