> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Leo89priest's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
May 3 2019, 04:43 AM
Instructor
Hi LEO89PRIEST! Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army, my mentoring program. Here I will guide you with your guitar practice, creating routines, practice plans, giving feedback of your playing always based on your guitar goals and musical tastes.

Before we start I would like to know a bit more about you.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LEO89PRIEST
May 4 2019, 01:57 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 3 2019, 03:43 AM) *
Hi LEO89PRIEST! Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army, my mentoring program. Here I will guide you with your guitar practice, creating routines, practice plans, giving feedback of your playing always based on your guitar goals and musical tastes.

Before we start I would like to know a bit more about you.

- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?

Hello Gabriel,

Wow this army thing sounds awesome biggrin.gif

Here are my answers to your questions:

A: I've been playing guitar for about 10 years.

A: John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Michael Romeo, Kiko Loureiro, Joe Satriani, Van Halen, Andy Timmons, David Gilmour.
Dream Theater, Symphony X, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Queen, Rata Blanca, Kraken, Pink Floyd, Queen.

A: I want to be able to play flawlessly and consistently any musical piece. At first I really want to master the basics: vibrato, hammer-ons, pull-offs, legato, bendings, slides... I'm not that bad in then but for instance I really want to play in time, clean and in tune. Then, I want to go with techniques like tapping, sweep picking, sweep tapping, etc... I know a bit of tapping but I don't feel totally comfortable with it.

A: I want to record at least one album with own music, to live that experience of going to a studio and record something created by me must be something awesome to live... Also, maybe play with a band, at least small concerts.
I want to be able to properly use different tunings like Eb, or D... I'm very used to standard tuning only.
I want to be a youtuber, not sure which content to offer but in the meantime I want it to be a guitar covers channel.
Then, my dream is to make music my lifestyle so I want music to be my job, but a cool job that I can actually enjoy smile.gif

A: About 1 hour a day.

A: No.

A: Strong points: legato (pulls and hammers), riffing, rhythm, sometimes I guess feeling is a strong point.
Weak points: body position (my back sometimes hurts), advanced techniques, out of tune bendings, weak vibrato, fast playing (despite I consider good at riffing I have low resistance or stamina), use of whammy bar, my pinky finger mellow.gif

A: Modes (Aeolian, Locrian, Ionian, etc.), pentatonic scale, major and minor scales, notes in the guitar (but I have difficulties identifying them quickly I have to stop and double check which note it is), intervals, triads, chords structures (for instance: 1st, 3rd, 5th grade for a basic chord) and some advanced chords formation... however, despite I know how to use a scale to create chords I have difficulties finding basic chords on the guitar, like with the chords maps...

A: Sure, I'm sending you 4 video files:
- Iron Maiden - The trooper (solo)
- Dream Theater - The bigger picture (solo)
- Own solo I wrote for a song.
- Little blues improvisation.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  The_trooper.mp4 ( 2.64MB ) Number of downloads: 80
Attached File  The_bigger_picture.mp4 ( 6.07MB ) Number of downloads: 95
Attached File  Own_solo.mp4 ( 8.15MB ) Number of downloads: 104
Attached File  Blues_improvisation.mp4 ( 7.76MB ) Number of downloads: 102

+Quote Post
LEO89PRIEST
May 4 2019, 03:08 PM
QUOTE (LEO89PRIEST @ May 4 2019, 12:57 AM) *
Hello Gabriel,

Wow this army thing sounds awesome biggrin.gif

Here are my answers to your questions:

A: I've been playing guitar for about 10 years.

A: John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Michael Romeo, Kiko Loureiro, Joe Satriani, Van Halen, Andy Timmons, David Gilmour.
Dream Theater, Symphony X, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Queen, Rata Blanca, Kraken, Pink Floyd, Queen.

A: I want to be able to play flawlessly and consistently any musical piece. At first I really want to master the basics: vibrato, hammer-ons, pull-offs, legato, bendings, slides... I'm not that bad in then but for instance I really want to play in time, clean and in tune. Then, I want to go with techniques like tapping, sweep picking, sweep tapping, etc... I know a bit of tapping but I don't feel totally comfortable with it.

A: I want to record at least one album with own music, to live that experience of going to a studio and record something created by me must be something awesome to live... Also, maybe play with a band, at least small concerts.
I want to be able to properly use different tunings like Eb, or D... I'm very used to standard tuning only.
I want to be a youtuber, not sure which content to offer but in the meantime I want it to be a guitar covers channel.
Then, my dream is to make music my lifestyle so I want music to be my job, but a cool job that I can actually enjoy smile.gif

A: About 1 hour a day.

A: No.

A: Strong points: legato (pulls and hammers), riffing, rhythm, sometimes I guess feeling is a strong point.
Weak points: body position (my back sometimes hurts), advanced techniques, out of tune bendings, weak vibrato, fast playing (despite I consider good at riffing I have low resistance or stamina), use of whammy bar, my pinky finger mellow.gif

A: Modes (Aeolian, Locrian, Ionian, etc.), pentatonic scale, major and minor scales, notes in the guitar (but I have difficulties identifying them quickly I have to stop and double check which note it is), intervals, triads, chords structures (for instance: 1st, 3rd, 5th grade for a basic chord) and some advanced chords formation... however, despite I know how to use a scale to create chords I have difficulties finding basic chords on the guitar, like with the chords maps...

A: Sure, I'm sending you 4 video files:
- Iron Maiden - The trooper (solo)
- Dream Theater - The bigger picture (solo)
- Own solo I wrote for a song.
- Little blues improvisation.

Hi Gabriel,

I forgot to mention something important and is that I want to be able to play different music genres, not only rock or metal, but also jazz, funk, blues and some latin genres like salsa. I want to be as versatile as I can.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2019, 06:10 AM
Instructor
Hi mate!! Thanks for all this info and videos! Now I know a lot more about you.

I think that it's time start working. You said that you have 1 hour for practice. I think that you could divide your diary sessions in 3 blocks:

- Technique Practice (GMC lessons + Exercises) - 20 minutes
- Improvisation (Working on a new concept each week) - 20 minutes
- Making music (Free jamming, working on GMC collabs) - 20 minutes

What do you think? Have you been exploring our lessons? Which are your favorites?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
LEO89PRIEST
May 6 2019, 05:33 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 6 2019, 05:10 AM) *
Hi mate!! Thanks for all this info and videos! Now I know a lot more about you.

I think that it's time start working. You said that you have 1 hour for practice. I think that you could divide your diary sessions in 3 blocks:

What do you think? Have you been exploring our lessons? Which are your favorites?

Hi Gabriel,

Thank you for your suggestions! I have a couple of questions:

1. For my technique practice you mentioned to go to the GMC lessons. When I go there I see a whole world of lessons, which is great, but at the same time is like I don't know where to start ohmy.gif . Should I search by level? What would you recommend me? I want to start working on lessons and posting my takes on REC.
2. Regarding improvisation, by "concepts" you mean: scales, techniques, chords, intervals... etc? Is there a place where I can look at those concepts or could you please guide me through the theory concepts I should learn?

Thanks again!

Angel.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 7 2019, 02:22 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! I can guide you here with all those things. We can choose here the right things to work each week and build routines based on those topics that I've listed.

You can find everything about theory HERE. There you can find the important topics.

Regarding lessons, you can choose style and level. You can go to "Guitar Lessons" tap and then you can choose style and level.

Attached Image

Other way to search is to write something in the SEARCH at the top right of the page. That opens a page where you can use Advanced Search options.

Attached Image

This is my suggestion for the first week:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/neocla..._for_beginners/

Improvisation Course // Module 1: Major Scales

1. Major Scale (Shapes, sequences & arpeggios)

Working on the current collab is a good idea for this moment. I also would like to suggest you to get into Kristofer's Jam School series and off course, watch and play along with this live streams.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/jam+school/

What do you think? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
LEO89PRIEST
May 8 2019, 02:10 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 7 2019, 01:22 PM) *
Hi mate! I can guide you here with all those things. We can choose here the right things to work each week and build routines based on those topics that I've listed.

You can find everything about theory HERE. There you can find the important topics.

Regarding lessons, you can choose style and level. You can go to "Guitar Lessons" tap and then you can choose style and level.

Attached Image

Other way to search is to write something in the SEARCH at the top right of the page. That opens a page where you can use Advanced Search options.

Attached Image

Working on the current collab is a good idea for this moment. I also would like to suggest you to get into Kristofer's Jam School series and off course, watch and play along with this live streams.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/jam+school/

What do you think? smile.gif

Hi Gabriel

Wow thank you so much. That's a lot of incredible material. I started yesterday and loved all lessons. I'll let you know my progress.

Note: I don't what happened but since yesterday, whenever I click a link to a lesson which opens on a new tab or window I am inmediately logged off from the page and I have to enter all the log in information once again. The problem is that, after entering that information I get redirected to the main page, and when I go to the lesson I am logged off once again, and the loop goes on that way, so my access to the lessons is limited to the "guest" user permissions, so I can't see the whole material.

Should I tell Kris or someone else about this issue?

Thanks!

Angel.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 8 2019, 03:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (LEO89PRIEST @ May 8 2019, 10:10 AM) *
Hi Gabriel

Wow thank you so much. That's a lot of incredible material. I started yesterday and loved all lessons. I'll let you know my progress.

Note: I don't what happened but since yesterday, whenever I click a link to a lesson which opens on a new tab or window I am inmediately logged off from the page and I have to enter all the log in information once again. The problem is that, after entering that information I get redirected to the main page, and when I go to the lesson I am logged off once again, and the loop goes on that way, so my access to the lessons is limited to the "guest" user permissions, so I can't see the whole material.

Thanks!

Angel.

Hi Angel, I'll ask Kris about this. Don't worry, we'll find a solution.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 8 2019, 08:04 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (LEO89PRIEST @ May 8 2019, 03:10 PM) *
Hi Gabriel

Thanks!

Angel.

Hi Angel,

This sounds like a corrupt session cookie. Try logging in from a different browser and if it the problem is gone, then go back to your preferred browser and erase the cookies for www.guitarmasterclass.net only (instructions)

Let me know what happens!

--------------------

+Quote Post
LEO89PRIEST
May 11 2019, 08:01 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 8 2019, 07:04 PM) *
Hi Angel,

This sounds like a corrupt session cookie. Try logging in from a different browser and if it the problem is gone, then go back to your preferred browser and erase the cookies for www.guitarmasterclass.net only (instructions)

Let me know what happens!

Hi Kris and Gabriel,

Yes, it looks like it was a session cookie issue. Thanks for your help! Everything is working fine now smile.gif

Angel.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 12 2019, 03:38 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (LEO89PRIEST @ May 11 2019, 09:01 PM) *
Hi Kris and Gabriel,

Yes, it looks like it was a session cookie issue. Thanks for your help! Everything is working fine now smile.gif

Angel.

Great, thanks for confirming mate 👊

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 13 2019, 01:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (LEO89PRIEST @ May 11 2019, 04:01 PM) *
Hi Kris and Gabriel,

Angel.

Great! Thanks for the update Angel! How is your practice going?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
LEO89PRIEST
May 13 2019, 08:50 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 13 2019, 12:59 PM) *
Great! Thanks for the update Angel! How is your practice going?

Hi Gabriel,

I've been working in these 2 lessons:

Also, I've been working on Todd Simpson's Shred Bootcamp. I'm about to start lesson 3.

The Bens' legato exercise had been a challenge for me, but the good thing about it is that whenever I finish the 20-30 minutes of this practice I feel like my fingers work really great and are faster and more precise than usual. Should I post a REC take on Bens' video whenever I feel the exercise is ready? Do you check REC takes even when they belong to an old lesson like the one from Ben?

I will work on this today: 1. Major Scale (Shapes, sequences & arpeggios)

Thanks for your help Gabriel. A really great material you sent me!! smile.gif

Angel.

+Quote Post
LEO89PRIEST
May 14 2019, 02:54 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 7 2019, 01:22 PM) *

Hi Gabriel!

I was working on the "IMPROVISATION COURSE - FROM ZERO TO HERO ", more specifically on the "Module 1: Major Scales -
WEEK#1 - Caged System:"
, it looks very interesting and useful. I was learning the shapes, scales and sequences, however, I think something is missing... at the end of the thread I can see a backing track in G major, so I guess I have to apply the different scales by doing an improvisation on G major. The problem is that I'm not sure on how to apply them, it's sounding like a scale exercise and not to "musical".

When I click on the Vchat link it looks like the page is down sad.gif I think that video is the place where I can see how to actually apply those concepts. Could you please double check the link or let me know if I misunderstood something?

Thanks again!

Angel.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2019, 03:12 AM
Instructor
Hi Angel!

The link was to see my live Vchat but that's not available anymore. However, you can ask and request here everything you need to understand each of the modules from the Improvisation Course.

The first goal here is to learn the shapes, sequences and arpeggios. You have to be able to visualise them, and to play them over the backing track following the chords. At first it will sound like an exercise, because it's an exercise. But the second goal and the most important is obviously to make music with this.

Are you already able to play Scale shapes, sequences, and triads (following the chords) over the backing track?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
LEO89PRIEST
May 14 2019, 03:22 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 14 2019, 02:12 AM) *
Hi Angel!

The link was to see my live Vchat but that's not available anymore. However, you can ask and request here everything you need to understand each of the modules from the Improvisation Course.

The first goal here is to learn the shapes, sequences and arpeggios. You have to be able to visualise them, and to play them over the backing track following the chords. At first it will sound like an exercise, because it's an exercise. But the second goal and the most important is obviously to make music with this.

Are you already able to play Scale shapes, sequences, and triads (following the chords) over the backing track?

Hi Gabriel!

Thanks for clearing it out for me. I am currently learning the shapes, sequences and triads. My only question so far is this: what is the reason why you chose the G major key, is there a particular reason for it? Why not to choose C major which only has natural and not accidental notes (sharp, flats)? Does the CAGED system born on the G major scale? I hope I'm being clear here.

Thanks again! smile.gif

Angel.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2019, 04:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (LEO89PRIEST @ May 14 2019, 11:22 AM) *
Hi Gabriel!

Thanks for clearing it out for me. I am currently learning the shapes, sequences and triads. My only question so far is this: what is the reason why you chose the G major key, is there a particular reason for it? Why not to choose C major which only has natural and not accidental notes (sharp, flats)? Does the CAGED system born on the G major scale? I hope I'm being clear here.

Thanks again! smile.gif

Angel.

That's a great question Angel!! There is not a real reason why I'm sharing this in G. This is based on the CAGED System, and one of the most important thing is to practice these shapes in all keys. I'm using G as an example, it could be C, C# and any other key. You only need to get familiar with the shapes and you'll be able to transpose this to any key.

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
LEO89PRIEST
May 29 2019, 01:12 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 14 2019, 03:50 PM) *
That's a great question Angel!! There is not a real reason why I'm sharing this in G. This is based on the CAGED System, and one of the most important thing is to practice these shapes in all keys. I'm using G as an example, it could be C, C# and any other key. You only need to get familiar with the shapes and you'll be able to transpose this to any key.

Does it make sense?

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for your answer! Yes, it totally makes sense... I was thinking of my available time lately and I realize that I have to be more realistic with it, so I'm updating my free time schedule for you:
- Monday and Tuesday: About an hour each day.
- Wednesday and Thursday: Not available time.
- Friday: About 30 minutes.
- Weekend (Saturday and Sunday): About 2 hours each day

Also, related to this time, I have to tell you that my city, Bogota, has a terrible transportation system so I spend sometimes more than 4 hours on a bus from work to home (2 hours in the morning and another 2 hours on the afternoon) and most of the time, when practice time comes, I'm really tired and the practice session does not have the quality I would like it to have. I'm moving to a place closer to my job, but in the meantime is there any advice you can share with me? Is there maybe a food (natural) that can give me some energy for my practice time? Has this ever happened to you? I mean, this is a little bit frustrating to be honest.

Regarding the technique practice (bends land of legatto and neoclassical for beginners) and improvisation (major scale: shapes, sequences and arpeggios) how do I know when and I'm ready to go to the next level? Should I send you a youtube take for you to see my progress? I mean, I don't want to rush in my learning, just wanted to know how to determine I'm ready to try something harder.

Thanks again Gabriel! smile.gif

Angel.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 29 2019, 03:13 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

It's good to be realist with your practice time. I understand what you say about transportation, it's very similar here in Argentina and other Latin american countries. I've been in Mexico this year, and it's a big problem as well.

Some ideas that come to mind is to use this time if it's possible. How is your journey? Is it possible to read or do some kind of fingers practice? Can you watch Youtube videos?

- If you can read, I would get some harmony and theory books.
- If you can do some fingers training, I would get something like this: http://www.shredneck.com/
- If you can watch Youtube videos, there is a lot to watch there about guitar playing and theory. I can recommend some vids.

Regarding your progress.. yes! Share vids here so I can monitor your progress and I can give you feedback and suggest new lessons to continue moving forward.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
LEO89PRIEST
May 29 2019, 05:09 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 29 2019, 02:13 PM) *
Hi mate!

It's good to be realist with your practice time. I understand what you say about transportation, it's very similar here in Argentina and other Latin american countries. I've been in Mexico this year, and it's a big problem as well.

Some ideas that come to mind is to use this time if it's possible. How is your journey? Is it possible to read or do some kind of fingers practice? Can you watch Youtube videos?

- If you can read, I would get some harmony and theory books.
- If you can do some fingers training, I would get something like this: http://www.shredneck.com/
- If you can watch Youtube videos, there is a lot to watch there about guitar playing and theory. I can recommend some vids.

Regarding your progress.. yes! Share vids here so I can monitor your progress and I can give you feedback and suggest new lessons to continue moving forward.

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for your answer! Yes, I could read during lunch time, is there any specific book you can recommend me? Maybe in spanish if possible, otherwise in english. That shredneck looks pretty interesting, I will check if I can buy one smile.gif
I am subscribed to some guitar lessons youtube channels, lately I've watched some videos from "LoreMaryluGT" and "David Wallimann". Could you recommend me some? Sometimes it happens that there such amount of videos out there that I'm not sure what to watch or what to focus in.

Thanks again Gabriel!

Angel.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:03 AM