I Need Lessons In Guitar Gear!, For those who have no clue as to what to look for in gear
The Danchez
Dec 16 2009, 02:31 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

My name's Dan and I just recently joined GMC sometime yesterday. I've been playing guitar for a little over 3 years now, and only now am I really starting to pick up the pace in developing as a musician. I have a question to all you gear heads out there, because when it comes down to this subject in the guitar world, I am completely lost! sad.gif

I've heard a lot of people talking about specific details in an amplifier or pedal that I can't hardly even begin to properly understand. Reason being that, there are a bunch of words, lingo, and concepts being thrown about that make it impossible for me to pick up and decipher the message. So this pretty much is my cry for help on this matter. I don't know how to go about becoming better at this. I'm sorry if this seems pretty ambiguous in scope, but anything on this topic would help me out.

I mean I get the details about distortion pedals and whatnot, but compressors, for example, I don't get at all. I don't know what it "does" per say, if you catch my drift. I love guitar for the fact that it's probably one of the very few instruments that you, the player, can add so many colors to in regards to its sound. But what good is having all those colors and not knowing how to use them properly??? So with that said, is there any wisdom that you guys can impart to me? It would be greatly appreciated smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 16 2009, 02:36 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I`m getting to understand a bit myself, but still struggling with the exact same problem on computer hardware. For what a pedal does to your sound, I recommand to check out proguitarshops youtube channel. They give demos of hundres of pedals where you can pick up a lot;)

Also hanging around the forum gives you kinda experience on the subject

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 16 2009, 02:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
Talk to musicians, ask in stores and read wikipedia^^

And post some direct questions here, your post is pretty vague!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Dec 16 2009, 02:54 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 16 2009, 04:52 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Just post all your questions here in the boards! smile.gif

As for compressor pedals, a fast way to describe them is that they increase the sustain. That means notes ring for a longer period of time.

Just ask all the specific things that you don't understand and I'm sure someone here will know the answer smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Keep_Rocking
Dec 16 2009, 05:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Dan,
First of all, welcome to GMC mate.

You're not by yourself now. I'm sure people can help you here.
As mhskeide said, just make a search of "compressor" on the GMC forums and you can find something like that:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=7886
(the search in on right top of the site in your browser).

But you can be sure the internet is one of the best sources of information! wink.gif

See you.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 16 2009, 06:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
I really think that the vast knowledge of our members here in all different areas like guitars, effects, amps, recording, computers etc. it's really among the greatest found on the internet. If someone here can't answer Your questions, probably no one cant.... smile.gif So just go ahead and shoot in the forums (and search in the WIKI). All people here will be happy to help !!!!

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Dec 16 2009, 06:55 PM
I'm with you to some degree... but there is a ton of info here. I might post some on the Gear Forum so keep your eyes open, and read the forums. There is a ton of info here, and just ask the forums where the conversations are happening. You will get a ton of info! cool.gif

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
sted
Dec 16 2009, 08:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 16 2009, 05:01 PM) *
I really think that the vast knowledge of our members here in all different areas like guitars, effects, amps, recording, computers etc. it's really among the greatest found on the internet. If someone here can't answer Your questions, probably no one cant.... smile.gif So just go ahead and shoot in the forums (and search in the WIKI). All people here will be happy to help !!!!

//Staffay

+1 on this! dont be afraid to ask, Mr Staffy here is certainly high up on my list of gear heads for sure!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 16 2009, 10:37 PM
Instructor
What ever you want to know you can ask freely here.

Compression is basically loudness equalization of audio signal. By compressing a signal you are making quiet parts more louder, and louder parts more quiet.
Guitar with clean signal for example is mainly a percussive instrument. It makes a big peak and then fade out when you pick the string. This dropping in volume can be diminished by increasing compression. This way the notes will sound more balanced in volume, and should increase the sustain a bit, making everything sound smoother and fuller.
If you hit the snare drum, you will hear the initial hi energy peak and then a sharp decline of volume. By adding some compression, you will enhance and balance out the whole snare shot, so that the subtle details in the decline part get a bit louder and the initial impact becomes a bit more controlled.
Adding too much compression is not a good thing, so if you apply some, try to use it as little as possible to achieve the natural characteristics of a signal and preserve dynamics.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
The Danchez
Dec 17 2009, 02:24 PM
Wow guys, I can't say how grateful I am for all the info being poured out here. Thanks a bunch to all you guys! And Ivan, thanks for that detailed breakdown and example of a drum snare on compression. That also helped me in getting a better picture of a compressor as well.

Since you guys said I can put out any questions...well here's my first one smile.gif

Tube amps! Well, more specifically, the tubes themselves: EL34 and 6L6 tubes. What's their story all about? I've heard a lot of people talk about them when it comes to tube amps, and they into some deep, down to the core of the product stuff and I can never follow. Can anybody give me a breakdown on that? It would be greatly appreciated and thanks again guys for all the help.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 17 2009, 02:36 PM
Hi Dan and welcome to GMC!
In answer to your question about Tubes...

Try reading THIS ARTICLE from our WIKI and see if it helps a little!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
The Danchez
Dec 18 2009, 03:08 PM
Nice! That really helped out alot Jones. Thanks alot! smile.gif

My next question has to do with guitar pickups. Single-coiled and Humbuckers. I need a crash course on those and what they both do. People have told me in the past about them, but I didn't quite grasp the concept. Anybody care to share wisdom on this? Thanks again guys.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 18 2009, 03:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (dsanc89 @ Dec 18 2009, 03:08 PM) *
Nice! That really helped out alot Jones. Thanks alot! smile.gif

My next question has to do with guitar pickups. Single-coiled and Humbuckers. I need a crash course on those and what they both do. People have told me in the past about them, but I didn't quite grasp the concept. Anybody care to share wisdom on this? Thanks again guys.

Our member KaznieNL did some awesome Wiki articles on the matter:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...mbucker_pickups
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...gle_coil_pickup

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 19 2009, 02:56 AM
Instructor
A compressor simply makes your signal more even. Dampening the peaks (High volume parts) and increasing the volume in quiet parts. But this is done in miliseconds so speaking in "real" sound terms they just make every note sound in the same volume and hence your interpretation comes out more "presentalble" but for instance Billy Sheehan, the bassist for Mr.Big and Steve Vai says that the volume should come from your fingers and not a processor. Sometimes compressor is only used to give a certain colour to a tone, check out the intro for "this love" by Pantera. That guitar has chorus AND compressor.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
jdriver
Dec 19 2009, 07:53 AM
Another thing you can do is if you listen to a lesson and you like the sound, ask the instructor what he was using. The student lessons are just as awesome as the regular instructors.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:15 AM