2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Music And Social Life
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 17 2011, 02:50 PM
Instructor
I was thinking that in the late years I have restrained my circle of friends and people I am seeing so much, that I almost feel monk'ish smile.gif not that I have a problem with that, but I was wondering - can you guys communicate easily and get along with people that don't have anything in common with our common passion? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 17 2011, 03:53 PM
Instructor
Yes I can get along easily with anyone (providing they are actually a nice person, of course) but if we don't have anything at all in common then I doubt I would cultivate a friendship relationship with them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 17 2011, 04:19 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 17 2011, 08:53 AM) *
Yes I can get along easily with anyone (providing they are actually a nice person, of course) but if we don't have anything at all in common then I doubt I would cultivate a friendship relationship with them.

Ben said it. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Nov 17 2011, 06:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
I guess if someone did not care about music, sports, travelling, comedy tv, action movies, science, healthcare...
then I would have a hard time making conversation, I guess I wouldn't really try that hard.

The last couple of years I've seen one person like this quite a few times because of common friends/relatives.
And all we did was like this: 1. quick remark, 2. haha. No real conversation.

This post has been edited by Ulrik: Nov 17 2011, 07:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Nov 17 2011, 07:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have no friends other than my family. I consider my band-mates acquaintances at best in that I don't hang out with them outside of band practice. My best friends are my wife, my kids and my guitar, in that order.

When I go to open mic, I have lots of great acquaintances that I love to talk to and hang out with after I'm done playing, but that relationship pretty much stops at the door because I work full time, have a family that gets to see me about 2 or 3 hours a night due to my work situation, and I practice the rest of the time. There really is no room for ongoing friendships outside of that for me, which I suppose is one reason I enjoy posting on this forum - I get real human contact, kind of!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 17 2011, 07:49 PM
Instructor
Good topic! In the past I became more and more closed with people that doesn't share the same interests... nowadays I'm becoming more open to different people, people with different interests than me but with passion and love for something... I can feel how much I can learn and how much energy I can receive from this type of people...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 17 2011, 07:56 PM
Instructor
Well, the nature of the job keeps us in the circle of musicians, but I like to sit down with any type of crowd, providing they are OK people. I respect any type of profession, being a professional babysiter or superstar singer. The trouble starts when people thing they are more "important" then others because they are in the music business, or listen to certain music, such a shame.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 17 2011, 08:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 17 2011, 06:56 PM) *
Well, the nature of the job keeps us in the circle of musicians, but I like to sit down with any type of crowd, providing they are OK people. I respect any type of profession, being a professional babysiter or superstar singer. The trouble starts when people thing they are more "important" then others because they are in the music business, or listen to certain music, such a shame.

Ain't that just nasty? sad.gif I see things in the same way, I can relate to passionate people regardless of their activity!

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Nov 17 2011, 06:31 PM) *
I have no friends other than my family. I consider my band-mates acquaintances at best in that I don't hang out with them outside of band practice. My best friends are my wife, my kids and my guitar, in that order.

When I go to open mic, I have lots of great acquaintances that I love to talk to and hang out with after I'm done playing, but that relationship pretty much stops at the door because I work full time, have a family that gets to see me about 2 or 3 hours a night due to my work situation, and I practice the rest of the time. There really is no room for ongoing friendships outside of that for me, which I suppose is one reason I enjoy posting on this forum - I get real human contact, kind of!! biggrin.gif

Glad that you're feeling like this about GMC and that we can communicate and provide a good environment for ya! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 17 2011, 11:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Nov 17 2011, 03:31 PM) *

I also enjoy GMC community a lot! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2011, 12:35 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 17 2011, 08:50 AM) *
I was thinking that in the late years I have restrained my circle of friends and people I am seeing so much, that I almost feel monk'ish smile.gif not that I have a problem with that, but I was wondering - can you guys communicate easily and get along with people that don't have anything in common with our common passion? smile.gif

It certainly almost happens without even realizing it that your circle of friends tends to solidify over time and lean toward folks with whom you have common ground.

It's good to break out of that now and then, and meet new folks smile.gif That's another great thing about GMC, new folks are always joining up and bringing new blood in to the mix.

+Quote Post
Frederik
Nov 18 2011, 01:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Feel it, I have few people that triggers my attention, they have to be on a certain intellectual level, or be very passioned

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 18 2011, 03:23 AM
Learning Tone Master
what mean you?, social life cool.gif

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Nov 18 2011, 03:24 AM

+Quote Post
Blister
Nov 18 2011, 05:07 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 17 2011, 09:23 PM) *
what mean you?, social life cool.gif

Well said! biggrin.gif I'm assuming maybe you mean where's the time for a social life.

I'm a lot like SirJams although I'm not in a band & certainly not ready for open mic night! ohmy.gif I have started working with our church youth band (I'm NOT a youth but they needed a guitarist). I have very little free time.

My wife says if anyone doesn't like me there must be something wrong with them cause she never knew anyone who "disliked" me. (This January, we will have been married twenty-five years.) I feel I can get along well with just about anyone.

There really is no room for ongoing friendships outside of that for me, which I suppose is one reason I enjoy posting on this forum - I get real human contact, kind of!!

Again, I agree with SirJams. The GMC community has been great for me. It's there anytime, whether it be early morning or past midnight, to catch up with those who post in the forum. There is always something interesting. I love bragging to my friends & coworkers about my friends from around the world & they are usually impressed.

I found this quote:
Surround yourself with people who take their work seriously, but not themselves, those who work hard and play hard.” Colin Powell

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 18 2011, 08:29 AM
Instructor
I really don't care if another person is into music or not, at all. In fact sometimes I find it interesting to talk with someone who doesn't even think about music.

But in the past it used to be different, I had my metalhead period where I thought everyone who didn't listen to metal was an idiot hahahah biggrin.gif looong time ago

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 18 2011, 09:31 AM
Instructor
[quote name='Blister' date='Nov 18 2011, 04:0 (This January, we will have been married twenty-five years.)

[/quote]

Hey, way to go !! smile.gif Early congratulations to you both biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 18 2011, 11:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Nov 18 2011, 07:29 AM) *
I really don't care if another person is into music or not, at all. In fact sometimes I find it interesting to talk with someone who doesn't even think about music.

But in the past it used to be different, I had my metalhead period where I thought everyone who didn't listen to metal was an idiot hahahah biggrin.gif looong time ago

Unfortunately, the number of ignorant and stupid people is abnormal in my land, so, I kinda bump into them way to often sad.gif they don't have to listen to metal, but still, if they look at you like you're coming from Mars, just because you don't like going to clubs and dancing to silly house music...then, Houston, I do believe we have a problem! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
rhoads
Nov 18 2011, 12:26 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 18 2011, 10:01 AM) *
Unfortunately, the number of ignorant and stupid people is abnormal in my land, so, I kinda bump into them way to often sad.gif they don't have to listen to metal, but still, if they look at you like you're coming from Mars, just because you don't like going to clubs and dancing to silly house music...then, Houston, I do believe we have a problem! laugh.gif

Yes Houston, we really have a problem here.

Let me give you my input on all this.
A don't have many friends. People that I can really call friends. But a lot of buddies lets say. Being in a small town we kinda know each other.
Anyway since I don't have a full time job anymore I have more time to go out and also I feel more interested in people. I feel a change in me, for example, I am starting to like lots of people that I couldn't stand before, regardless their into the music business or not and try to know them better.
For example Cosmin, I don't find Marius Moga so annoying as before smile.gif)). Really smile.gif

And to be honest I feel the need to get to know new people and maybe become friends, although this is becoming more and more difficult.

When I had my full time job I barely had time to go out one a week because all my free time was for guitar. I was feeling like in a cave and lost a lot of contacts and so on. You know the story. This was one of the main reasons I decided to quit working for a while and dedicate my time to practice. Wanted to have a social life also, otherwise I really don't think you have anything to sing about smile.gif

I wonder how it is going to be when I have to start working again. In case I don't became famous in the mean time smile.gif)

I feel also a.. let say good.. connection with the people where, especially with the instructors that give me feedback on the REC takes and I want to take this opportunity to thank everybody because it helped me A LOT. Hopefully we get to meat each other someday.

And I'm looking forward to meeting you Cosmin at the Mozart Rocks concert smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Frederik
Nov 18 2011, 01:27 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Maybe its a bout settling in the appropriate social layer

+Quote Post
zoom
Nov 18 2011, 01:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Generally I get along with most people but it helps if they like music or sport. I like meeting new people. Generally my wife and I socialize with people with kids the same age as ours.
I enjoy gmc because every bodies passionate about guitar which is great.
I wouldn't mind getting into a band but not sure I'm good enough to try out.
smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 18 2011, 02:29 PM
Instructor
While we are on the topic, I must say that as people change, so does their social life. For the part of the life where I didn't have a girlfriend, I was all about partying, meeting different people (mostly single girls biggrin.gif ), and now it's all about hanging out in good company, not being crazy (in a bad way cool.gif ), and just having good quality time with people in general. Not care about that much loud music (except on rehearsals biggrin.gif ), and do appreciate moments with my woman at home a lot. That is very valuable to me now (the most valuable thing). I hope a kid will come soon too, that would be awesome smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:33 AM