Hendrix Strat, What do you think?
AK Rich
Nov 14 2015, 06:01 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Anyone had the chance to check out the Hendrix Strat? How I would love to take one for a test drive! wub.gif

http://www.fender.com/alter-your-axis

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
bleez
Nov 14 2015, 06:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
not played it but I think it looks great. I find strats a bit awkward to play but man, I was tempted to buy one when I saw them.
They look awesome with the reverse headstock smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 14 2015, 06:27 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Yeah it looks awesome doesn't it? I am very curious to hear how those pickups affect the tone and dynamics and feel of the guitar.
Not a bad price compared to other signature strat models too. I wonder if I can get one with a light scallop and super jumbo frets. smile.gif
Kind of like a Jimi/Yngwie hybrid.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 14 2015, 08:49 PM
GMC:er
Although I don't own a fender, this is why I like them as a company. Something as simple as a strat and they somehow make it interesting smile.gif

Reverse headstock changes the tone a bit specially if the nut isn't locked, some don't prefer it because of this. But that alternate angle bride single should definitly balance things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 15 2015, 05:10 PM
The main difference is that you will be constantly requested to Play Jimi Hendrix songs every time you take that thing out wink.gif

I had a girlfriend that was a lefty and she had a Strat strung upside down. When I was over there I would play it. Since I'm a righty it was all backwards for me (ala JH). It sounded 'pretty much' the same as a normal Strat but it did feel a little different. String tension due to the length and break angle behind the nut probably has something to do with it.
*That's some of the reasons why Jazzmasters, Jaguars and (reverse) Firebirds are so unique.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 17 2015, 08:06 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 15 2015, 08:10 AM) *
The main difference is that you will be constantly requested to Play Jimi Hendrix songs every time you take that thing out wink.gif

I had a girlfriend that was a lefty and she had a Strat strung upside down. When I was over there I would play it. Since I'm a righty it was all backwards for me (ala JH). It sounded 'pretty much' the same as a normal Strat but it did feel a little different. String tension due to the length and break angle behind the nut probably has something to do with it.
*That's some of the reasons why Jazzmasters, Jaguars and (reverse) Firebirds are so unique.

laugh.gif Good point about being asked to play JH tunes. That's ok though, we can do that. smile.gif
This is what Fender says about the reverse headstock.

"Mirroring Hendrix's penchant for playing right-handed guitars flipped over, the reverse ’70s-style headstock on this guitar alters the relative length of the strings—creating a unique playing feel while adding more snap to the treble strings."

I have an old Kramer with a reverse headstock and while there is a slight difference in feel, it is pretty subtle to me.
The reverse angle bridge pickup however is something that makes this model of Strat unique even if only visually.

Although I probably won't rush out and buy one, I think the uniqueness of this Strat may make it a collectable in the future.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 17 2015, 09:31 PM
I'm hopefully getting my hands on one of these in my friends Shop this coming weekend!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 17 2015, 09:58 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Nov 17 2015, 12:31 PM) *
I'm hopefully getting my hands on one of these in my friends Shop this coming weekend!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Sweet! Be sure to give us the scoop if you get the chance to check one out! smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 4 2016, 03:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Nov 17 2015, 09:31 PM) *
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

did you get a shot? smile.gif

these seem to get more than their share of hate! Ive been watching a lot of demo vids and the comments.... huh.gif some folks seem so angry and offended, like fender have personally insulted them with this monstrosity of evil! Im starting to think I should be embarrassed for wanting one! I must be a noob mellow.gif
I dont get the big deal. Its not like its meant to be a replica. Although I think they should have flipped the fender logo on the headstock, that would have been a cool touch, but not a dealbreaker.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 4 2016, 04:16 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 4 2016, 03:52 PM) *
did you get a shot? smile.gif

these seem to get more than their share of hate! Ive been watching a lot of demo vids and the comments.... huh.gif some folks seem so angry and offended, like fender have personally insulted them with this monstrosity of evil! Im starting to think I should be embarrassed for wanting one! I must be a noob mellow.gif
I dont get the big deal. Its not like its meant to be a replica. Although I think they should have flipped the fender logo on the headstock, that would have been a cool touch, but not a dealbreaker.

Cor blimey Guv'nor, I'd forgotten this Thread! Probably because I didn't get my hands on one that following weekend! I did, however, have the opportunity earlier this year. It was the Olympic White version, not that colours makes any difference to playability!
A quick synopsis of my experience (see what I did there??? wink.gif ) is that it was a very playable, classically voiced Strat. The reverse Headstock gives you more scope at bending the lower strings whilst the top strings can have a bit more bite/attack depending on how hard you dig in whilst playing. Great for some really hard SRV Shuffle type stuff!
As for these people that claim them to be a 'monstrosity' etc, I bet not one of them has even played one! As you say, it isn't meant to be a replica/Signature model so slamming it for looks alone is an incredibly infantile stand point (just my own view on the matter!!)
I'd have one in a shot if I was looking for another Strat whilst still wanting something a little different to everyone else!!
smile.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Sep 4 2016, 04:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 4 2016, 05:26 PM
I'm a 'hard-core' Fender guy and I think they're super cool. There's one on my 'long' list. *Flipped logo is a really good idea!

One of the hallmarks of 'Fender' is to be iconoclastic. Witness the Telecaster in 1950.
Guy's have been doing quasi Hendrix mods on Strats since 1967: finding and putting a lefty neck on a right-handed strat, reversing the pkups, etc. Really nothing new.

Being a 'traditionalist' Fender guy is actually a bit of an oxymoron. Leo would be disappointed wink.gif

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 4 2016, 05:26 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 4 2016, 08:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 4 2016, 04:16 PM) *
A quick synopsis of my experience (see what I did there??? wink.gif

biggrin.gif HA! I doff my cap to you sir smile.gif
do you think the tuners could be replaced with fenders locking tuners?
The description says "Can be retro-fitted to most US and Mexico made Stratocaster® and Telecaster® models. Will not fit American Vintage Series (US). " The hendrix strat has 'vintage style' tuners but its not a US vintage series... so maybe they would fit.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 4 2016, 05:26 PM) *
I'm a 'hard-core' Fender guy and I think they're super cool. There's one on my 'long' list. *Flipped logo is a really good idea!

Well.... If its good enough for this guy ^^^ cool.gif

Its going to be a long week and Im already itching to get through to try one. It sucks not having a big guitar shop close.
Im still intending to try the classic series telecaster as well but part of me is kinda hoping I dont like it rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: Sep 4 2016, 08:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 5 2016, 04:00 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 4 2016, 08:39 PM) *
biggrin.gif HA! I doff my cap to you sir smile.gif
do you think the tuners could be replaced with fenders locking tuners?
The description says "Can be retro-fitted to most US and Mexico made Stratocaster® and Telecaster® models. Will not fit American Vintage Series (US). " The hendrix strat has 'vintage style' tuners but its not a US vintage series... so maybe they would fit.

You'd have to re-drill the holes as the bushes on the Vintage Tuners are 8mm and they need to be 10mm for the sleeves of the locking ones. Presuming that the Fender ones are the same as most other Locking Tuners. Not a hard job but I'd recommend doing it on a Pillar Drill rather than with a hand held one!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 5 2016, 05:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 5 2016, 04:00 PM) *
You'd have to re-drill the holes as the bushes on the Vintage Tuners are 8mm and they need to be 10mm for the sleeves of the locking ones. Presuming that the Fender ones are the same as most other Locking Tuners. Not a hard job but I'd recommend doing it on a Pillar Drill rather than with a hand held one!
smile.gif

Yikes!
thanks for the info, that sounds like an 'outsourcing' job to me wink.gif
I watched a vid where a dude was upgrading his strat and he used these locking tuners, they look awesome cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 5 2016, 06:32 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 5 2016, 05:15 PM) *
Yikes!
thanks for the info, that sounds like an 'outsourcing' job to me wink.gif
I watched a vid where a dude was upgrading his strat and he used these locking tuners, they look awesome cool.gif

If you do decide to get one of these, send me the Neck and Tuners and I'll gladly fit them for you!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 6 2016, 08:12 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 5 2016, 06:32 PM) *
If you do decide to get one of these, send me the Neck and Tuners and I'll gladly fit them for you!!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif if only you lived closer, dude. I'd have a couple of techie stuff for you to fix on my LP as well cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 6 2016, 03:55 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 6 2016, 08:12 AM) *
biggrin.gif if only you lived closer, dude. I'd have a couple of techie stuff for you to fix on my LP as well cool.gif

Yeah, if only!! smile.gif
Anyway, the offer is there if you want it and no extortionate fees will be charged either!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 6 2016, 10:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 6 2016, 03:55 PM) *
Yeah, if only!! smile.gif
Anyway, the offer is there if you want it and no extortionate fees will be charged either!

thank you sir. I shall bear it in mind smile.gif

*is it the weekend yet? rolleyes.gif
I can hear guitar guitar calling me! they really should have thought of a better name for a guitar shop dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 7 2016, 03:54 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 6 2016, 10:19 PM) *
thank you sir. I shall bear it in mind smile.gif

*is it the weekend yet? rolleyes.gif
I can hear guitar guitar calling me! they really should have thought of a better name for a guitar shop dry.gif

Oh, and if you go the Tele route and want that 'Flipped Control Plate' Mod the same offer applies!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 7 2016, 04:21 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 7 2016, 07:54 AM) *
Oh, and if you go the Tele route and want that 'Flipped Control Plate' Mod the same offer applies!
biggrin.gif

Right about now I wish I lived in London.
My guitar tech of 25+ years moved to New Mexico, about 1256 kms to the east of me. He was living about 3 km up the road.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:31 AM