Recording Newbie
inertia
Jun 27 2008, 10:47 PM
GMC:er
Hi everybody,

I want to start recording my playing but am somewhat unsure where to start. I have a pod xt live and a pretty powerful PC, I'm also very comfortable with computers, but I have zero idea about recording software. I have been looking online and there is too much information, I find myself looking at software that looks more like it's meant to make trance music than rock music.

I plan on buying some good software I just don't know what software does what. I was thinking of cubase, addictive drums and a bass vst, I have seen these recommended on the forum a fair bit, but likely I will start with Reaper before I start spending real money.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what I need and some good info to learn what does what, ie mixers and all the other fancy interfaces?

I'm sorry about the generalized questions I am just very confused :?

thx

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 27 2008, 10:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
tonymiro made a couple tutorials on Reaper. Have a look at those for startes.

A neccessity is drums, like Addictive drums or EZdrummer then you can get started. A small keyboard and a plugin for bass is handy too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 27 2008, 11:04 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Reaper will do everything you need for the forseeable future, so I suggest you spend the extra money on plugins!

I would suggest:

Drums - EZDrummer + a couple of expansions (I think EZD has a better sound than Addictive) - I have just ordered SUperior 2.0, seems incredibly good from the demo video, the next level up from EZD

Bass Plugin - Spectrasonics Trilogy is excellent

Then depending on what you want to do, Native Instruments make some excellent Synths - Massive is cool

If you want strings and such, Garritan Personal Orchestra is a reasonable low end orchestral plugin

And a decent reverb plugin would be good, Wizooverb or SIR (Although Reaper has a couple of decent reverbs already)

Good thing about Reaper is it comes bundled with a lot of stuff for free - if you find you use compressors a lot, pony up for a decent one, if you don't, don't bother - the jury is out on whether or not spending huge amounts on software is worth the money, although in some cases it clearly is, more so for VSTis than effects.

With those basics in place you should be able to tackle quite a few projects!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 27 2008, 11:53 PM
Instructor
Andrew pretty much summed it all up. Reaper EZD (better sound than addictive) and Trilogy are a good way to start.

Also if I may add.. if you don't have MIDI keyboard now, Steinberg Virtual Bassist can do the job nicely for some generic grooves. It also has some nice sounds and effects for bass too, although Trilogy has a lot more quality sound, it doesn't comes bundled with grooves and effect.

For pads, Steinberg has built in Cubase synth VST's that are quite usable for starters - embracer and monologue.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 28 2008, 03:18 AM
Singing Instructor
I would go with Trilogy and addictive drums,bout EZ and addictive sound great,but it is the matter of choice at the end.Try to hear what sound do you preffer and then choose,also don't forget BFD,witch is an great vst instrument.Siggum did a review on the BFD.So you can look it up.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 28 2008, 02:56 PM
Instructor
Nemanja also has a good point, he is working extensively with Addictive drums and produced some great results. It is all a matter of personal preference in the end and trying both is a good way to start.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 29 2008, 12:49 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Andrew summed it up very well..Go with the Reaper for recording and than build up VSTs when you need to do other instruments..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
inertia
Jul 1 2008, 02:04 AM
GMC:er
Thanks for the responses everyone smile.gif
I have ezdrummer and reaper now, plan on trying out a couple of bass vsts and maybe demo some before I buy one, the trilogy one looks pretty cool.
Has anyone tried some of the other guitar modeling software such as guitar rig or amplitude? Is it really necessary at all given I have the POD with gearbox?

thx

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 3 2008, 12:42 AM
Instructor
It is not necessary, but I think Guitar Rig has a lot better features. Sound quality is somewhat better, but nothing spectacular (for the price).

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:38 AM