Drummers -.-
Enucleation
Aug 11 2008, 02:37 AM
GMC:er
So me and a friend decided we'd get a band going, I've been in one for a while but a second band could be fun no?

Anyway I had the original idea and we had a lineup but that didn't work so whatever. Anyway we tried again, and things are good I'm on Lead guitar and vocals and the previously mentioned friend is on bass (fretless bass I might add which could add a whole new dimension) the rhythm guitar player lined up shouldn't be a problem... but the dang drummer.

I don't want to mean to the guy cause the poor dude is trying the best he can but, every time I see him he's telling me about all these great double bass things he can do, and how he really likes doing blast beats. So I figure he can drum for us, the first jam rolls around and I have an entire song written incorporating double bass and blast beats. So I play some of the guitar pro file and everyone's diggin' it so I start teaching the bassist the parts, and explain to the drummer what I want to do.

We never got past the first verse, or even cleanly through the first verse... huh.gif The double bass was so sloppy and I don't know for sure if I ever got him to understand what half-time feel is. Eventually we just said forget it, and started a new song entirely.

On the bright side, I'm rather pleased with what we came up with, sort of High on Fire sounding but I think simple rolls are about the extent of his drumming abilities...to be honest I think, just by messing around with the drummer of my other band I could do a better job...

*sigh* not only is it gonna be hard to find a decent drummer but this guy almost idolizes me, and yes I know that sounds cocky but he does and booting him out might be quite a task.

Not asking for help so much as just talking ..tongue.gif

Edit: But will definitly accept advice (i didn't mean to sound like ajerk in that closing statement.)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Enucleation: Aug 11 2008, 02:58 AM

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 11 2008, 02:42 AM
Singing Instructor
If he has a bit talent,you should stick with him.It is harder to find good people around youo in a band than a great drummer.And trust me,that is very important to haw,he will learn in time.smile.gif
Good luck with your band.smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Aug 11 2008, 03:52 AM
QUOTE (Nemanja Filipovic @ Aug 10 2008, 08:42 PM) *
If he has a bit talent,you should stick with him.It is harder to find good people around youo in a band than a great drummer.And trust me,that is very important to haw,he will learn in time.smile.gif
Good luck with your band.smile.gif

I suppose you are right. Thanks.

--------------------
Gear
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
Line 6 Spider Valve
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Pizzoaro
Aug 11 2008, 04:37 AM
Three words... Good luck!

--------------------
"Never give up!"

My Youtube

Check out pictures of my band here ---> Bandpictures! Remember to leave a comment!

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Aug 11 2008, 04:39 AM
QUOTE (Pizzoaro @ Aug 10 2008, 10:37 PM) *
Three words... Good luck!

Wait...what? tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
Line 6 Spider Valve
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Aug 11 2008, 05:24 AM
Get a new drummer. This guy sounds like the average "yeah I'm so good and I know everything about my instrument"-person that doesn't practice at all because he thinks he's perfect. You should not work with these persons and depend on them. I'm serious. Get a new drummer, if he's like that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 11 2008, 06:02 AM
Learning Roadie
Determine now whether he is lacking good rhythmic skills, or if he's just not as technically proficient as you guys right now. If it's the latter keep him, he'll get better. If he's the kind of drummer that always does the same beat though.. drop him tongue.gif

Having a good drummer is one of the biggest blessings we as guitar players can have. One of my best friends is a very good self taught drummer... whenever we jam, he "gets" what I'm trying to do. He makes my stuff better because he really accentuates the rhythm of it, he brings it down low when called for and he knows when to wrap up his drum solos tongue.gif Really, I'm not religious or anything, but its a blessing tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 11 2008, 06:22 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Give him a while longer. Practicing at home and playing in a band are two different things, if he can manage those skilled things at home he might need some time to settle to be able to in a live situation, incase being in a band is a new thing to him.

If he doesn't improve in weeks/months time I too think you may concider a new drummer.

What does your bass player say? Since bass and drums work closely together, does he have a feeling it work?

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 11 2008, 07:10 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Just give him a while and see if he gets better..
If he does, cool smile.gif If he don't, then you're gonna have to have a talk with him sad.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 11 2008, 08:18 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
and on a side note, playing with friends - no matter how good they are - is worth something too.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 11 2008, 09:18 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I would also give this guy a chance, see if he works hard, if he does, he will improve.
And @ Pizzoaro: 3 words??? lemme count... hmmm... lemme count again... lol

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 11 2008, 09:57 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 11 2008, 09:18 AM) *
and on a side note, playing with friends - no matter how good they are - is worth something too.

This is so true, playing with friends no matter their skill is always great smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Aug 11 2008, 10:30 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I feel for ya a bit here mate, we are on our 3rd drummer this year and about to try out a 4th guy, the first couple where pretty much next to useless, unable to keep time, slowing down during the songs etc

The guy we have at the moment struggles, he is the best of a bad bunch which is why we have tried to continue with him in the vein hope that he`ll up his game and improve, his biggest downfall is NOT learning the songs so we are forever going over parts in songs.

The guy we are about to try out is someone that I know and lost touch with but luckily bumped into in the locals shops, an x pro drummer that is looking for an extra band to play with as he`s in a band already, fortunatly for us they dont play too often and he wants to play as much as possible so was looking for a second band to join, hopefully this will work out nicely smile.gif

If you really dont think this guy is going to work out for you then I would say dont waste time persuing it, its equally as frustrating and demotivating for you to play with someone that isnt getting the job done and your having to make things "simple" so that they fit in, always difficult ditching someone, its been my job for the last couple to deliver the bad news phone call but in general they realise that its not working out, tis easier when its not your mates that your ditching, but I have actually had the task of ditching my brother out of a band, that wernt too easy I can tell ya!!

I do sympathise with drummers and its worth noteing that its not so easy for them to practice at home etc as it is for guitarists, I started out at the age of 12 playing the drums, I was lucky at the time as I could freely practice with no nasty neighbours to disturb, 3 years in and my parents moved and I lost that luxury, endless complaints from the neighbours sad.gif my parents fully supported my drumming but I lost all enthusiasm that I had and picked up the guitar instead, so maybe we shouldnt (although I do laugh.gif) bash drummers up too much that dont come up to par, a lot of it is almost always down to a lack of practice, that said most decent drummers I know always seem to carry a pair of sticks around with them wherever they go and drive you nuts by tapping on every available surface, but I guess thats there only way to practice in a lot of cases.

This post has been edited by Smells: Aug 11 2008, 10:34 AM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 11 2008, 03:15 PM
Instructor
I would keep that guy, because he likes the band and he idolizes you, that's a good thing. On the other hand I don't like the fact that he said he can play good, because it is obvious he cannot do it. You have to talk to him and have a serious talk. Say to him you're a serious band, and he have to work hard and practice. Give him some time and see if he improves, if he doesn't kick him out.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 11 2008, 03:29 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would suggest staying for some time with this drummer to see if he can be "the one"..Also I would suggest letting the drummer do his parts in songs best way he can, after all he IS the drummer smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Aug 11 2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I think I'll give him some time.

He is actually the bassists younger brother, and from what I understand he can practice without disturbing the neighbors. The bassist is really dedicated so maybe that will give them some motivation to practice together.

If things are still going bad in a month...well. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

--------------------
Gear
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
Line 6 Spider Valve
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Aug 11 2008, 07:30 PM
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Aug 10 2008, 06:37 PM) *
So me and a friend decided we'd get a band going, I've been in one for a while but a second band could be fun no?

Anyway I had the original idea and we had a lineup but that didn't work so whatever. Anyway we tried again, and things are good I'm on Lead guitar and vocals and the previously mentioned friend is on bass (fretless bass I might add which could add a whole new dimension) the rhythm guitar player lined up shouldn't be a problem... but the dang drummer.

I don't want to mean to the guy cause the poor dude is trying the best he can but, every time I see him he's telling me about all these great double bass things he can do, and how he really likes doing blast beats. So I figure he can drum for us, the first jam rolls around and I have an entire song written incorporating double bass and blast beats. So I play some of the guitar pro file and everyone's diggin' it so I start teaching the bassist the parts, and explain to the drummer what I want to do.

We never got past the first verse, or even cleanly through the first verse... huh.gif The double bass was so sloppy and I don't know for sure if I ever got him to understand what half-time feel is. Eventually we just said forget it, and started a new song entirely.

On the bright side, I'm rather pleased with what we came up with, sort of High on Fire sounding but I think simple rolls are about the extent of his drumming abilities...to be honest I think, just by messing around with the drummer of my other band I could do a better job...

*sigh* not only is it gonna be hard to find a decent drummer but this guy almost idolizes me, and yes I know that sounds cocky but he does and booting him out might be quite a task.

Not asking for help so much as just talking ..tongue.gif

Edit: But will definitly accept advice (i didn't mean to sound like ajerk in that closing statement.)

Before I got into guitar a few years back - I just played drums(and still do)- So I have played drums for over 20 yearsnow (although you couldn't tell by my current playing) - In my teenage and early 20s I was in alot of bands(Some good/some not so good- but it was always fun). All of my efforts go into guitar now and I just fill in for drummers here and there.

If the guy has decent timing, or potential, give him some time. As with all musicians, some people aren't too great at playing something exactly the way someone else percieves it to be since we all have own own style(Same as on drums). You should give him the creative freedom to put the drum part together the way he wants to and based on his skill level, if you give him the general idea and a few guidelines. Not to come across negatively, but if I had a guitarist telling every other member of the band how he wanted each other part to sound exactly, I would walk, because that's not a band, that's a solo artist being backed up by a band. Also not sure if your music style is something that this drummer is familiar with, or if its something new to him.

Maybe make him a recording of your idea(A GP file is not really needed for a drummer) with your drum idea and then a recording without the drum parts, and give him a week or so to work on it on his own, and try again next week(Or whatever practice schedule you have). He also should try to get together wit hthe bassist since they need to work closely together. If the guy is that interested in being in the band, he will probably put in a lot of solo practice time; you might be surprised on his progress - I have seen drummers improve dramatically in a short period of time if they are motivated to do so.

And the point is to create original music with every members contribution - Which gives your band its unique sound (Unless you are a cover band)

Hope this helps.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:17 PM