2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Satch, Vai, Paul, Nita, Polyphia.
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2020, 02:09 PM
Instructor
I don't like to be that "old" man saying this.. but honestly this video is so clear.

The difference between the older guys (Satch, Vai, Paul) and the others when improvising is huge... don't you think so?

One of my favorite parts of the video is how Paul enjoys Satch's jam. biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 21 2020, 06:37 PM
GMC:er
Yeah, but the level and caliber of 'real world' experience at this point is probably going to be unattainable for the others. The environment for it doesn't presently exist anymore. Nita Strauss played really well. The other young guys, not so much. I have no idea who they are - ?

*Satriani has always been my favorite out of all the instro guitar shredders. He swings.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 21 2020, 06:57 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2020, 09:18 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Joe, Steve, Nina and Paul all have more stage presence, the Polyphia lads seem withdrawn, kinda how I'd be on stage.

This isn't a bad tune, the video is okay too wink.gif

https://youtu.be/7C19ZGLuhlQ

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 22 2020, 09:54 AM
Good observation, Polyphia guys may be much younger but they're a 10 year old band and released their first video 6 years ago.

My guess is with todays production values, working on improvisation doesn't have the same importance as it used to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2020, 02:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 22 2020, 05:54 AM) *
Good observation, Polyphia guys may be much younger but they're a 10 year old band and released their first video 6 years ago.

My guess is with todays production values, working on improvisation doesn't have the same importance as it used to.

This is a very important point. Most of modern guitarists work a lot on their compositions and albums but not as much on improvisation and that's why there is a big contrast when comparing their original music with their jams.

This is not a critique is a reality. Being a great improviser is as difficult and requires as much work as being a great composer, and if you want to be good at both you need to dedicate some practice to each.

Guthrie is a KILLER improviser, but I don't think that his compositions are as interesting as things composed by Petrucci or Plini.

What's your side? What do you enjoy more? Improvising or Composing/Producing?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2020, 02:24 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 22 2020, 01:00 PM) *

I know that question was aimed a Mertay but I learnt last year just how hard improv is, I'm okay sticking to a single scale shape in the key signature but when it comes to following the chords I really really struggle.

I think in many ways improv is harder than composition because it is basically composition on the fly in real time, it does get easier I guess but it is something that takes a lot of practise and a lot of licks in your mental library, something I struggle to recall when improvising.

Back when I was a kid, I always thought improv was easy because "you just play what you want". How wrong was I? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 22 2020, 03:54 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 22 2020, 03:07 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 22 2020, 01:00 PM) *

One may think with composing things are easier but the process can be related to "time" just as much as improvising. For example, an idea may pop-up and it has to be recorded/mixed quickly while fresh in your head or a days work may be for nothing when listened again the next day smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2020, 07:14 PM
The "young guys" are the dudes from POLYPHIA. They are just a bit outside of their element trying to swap leads with guys who actually play leads and have played leads for several decades. The polyphia guys are on the stage because this is an IBANEZ endorsee jam from the looks of it. The polyphia guys are the hot young things doing the "Instagram Style" bits these days. Including this trendy tune.

Nita held her own, but mostly she is a performer more than a player from the look of it. She does have great stage presence to be sure.

Can anyone get up there with Paul/Steve/Satch and really go toe to toe? It would be tough. These guys are legends at doing exactly what they are doing at this gig and they have decades of experience doing it. Maybe in 30 years, the young dudes will be all over it, as the old guys will all be retired by then smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 21 2020, 09:09 AM) *
I don't like to be that "old" man saying this.. but honestly this video is so clear.

The difference between the older guys (Satch, Vai, Paul) and the others when improvising is huge... don't you think so?

One of my favorite parts of the video is how Paul enjoys Satch's jam. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2020, 07:21 PM
I'd get up on stage and and go toe to toe with them, show 'em a thing or two, I've got some brilliant engineering licks and tricks, they may not be impressed but I'd show em a thing or two wink.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 22 2020, 06:14 PM) *
Can anyone get up there with Paul/Steve/Satch and really go toe to toe? It would be tough. These guys are legends at doing exactly what they are doing at this gig and they have decades of experience doing it. Maybe in 30 years, the young dudes will be all over it, as the old guys will all be retired by then smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 22 2020, 10:37 PM
Eric Johnson and Scott Henderson can match them. Probably Guthrie Govan too ... but they don't play Ibbys 😆.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2020, 10:49 PM
Being good at improv is a really tough thing these days partly because of the tech as mentioned. It's so easy to edit mediocre playing together in a daw to sound like it's rather good playing. When doing improv, there is nowhere to hide. You can't go back and do another take, or use editing tricks, you have to compose something pretty much on the fly and then execute it with style and grace.

As ken mentioned, the rules of the world have changed and don't encourage improv as much as it used to be when music was much more about the live experience, even for small bands, pre streaming, etc. I don't think it will become a lost art simply because there are always a new batch of players who are inspired by great playing and want to be able to express themselves musically. Time will tell smile.gif
Improv solo work is not only real time composition, but also real time stress testing of ones ability to actually play. It's the real test of a players ability imho. Can they express themselves musically, without a net, so to speak smile.gif
Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 22 2020, 09:00 AM) *
This is a very important point. Most of modern guitarists work a lot on their compositions and albums but not as much on improvisation and that's why there is a big contrast when comparing their original music with their jams.

This is not a critique is a reality. Being a great improviser is as difficult and requires as much work as being a great composer, and if you want to be good at both you need to dedicate some practice to each.

Guthrie is a KILLER improviser, but I don't think that his compositions are as interesting as things composed by Petrucci or Plini.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 23 2020, 01:27 AM
Learning Tone Master
I love NAMM stuff , her is some wisdom

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 23 2020, 08:04 PM
GMC Founder
Very nice jam!

Maybe it was easy for the old guys because it was... an old jam! They have done that tune for ~30 years now I think.

When I jam I want to connect the backing - maybe that was not as easy for the younger generation.

I also get a feeling the young guys/gals were trying to do the instagram thing, where are the older were more interested in actually building towards climax.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 23 2020, 09:38 PM
Well said smile.gif Those players are also from the old school of practicing one's guts out for decades at a stretch. The old ways do indeed have their place imho smile.gif The folks on that stage represent tens of thousands of hours of dedicated practice. Time not spent hunting new gear, or chasing distraction, but actual, focused practice. All it takes is about 10k hours they say. smile.gif
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 22 2020, 05:37 PM) *
Eric Johnson and Scott Henderson can match them. Probably Guthrie Govan too ... but they don't play Ibbys 😆.

Very good points here. The younger guys did seem to be playingn "instagram guitar" which works best without a band imho. They are all fine players to be sure. Satch/Vai/Gilbert are legendary players for very good reason. They are really that good and they've earned every bit of it. Not being "sped up" in post production, no editing, this is playing live, without a new, in front of a crowd. High pressure, high expectation, and they nail it.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 23 2020, 03:04 PM) *
Very nice jam!

Maybe it was easy for the old guys because it was... an old jam! They have done that tune for ~30 years now I think.

When I jam I want to connect the backing - maybe that was not as easy for the younger generation.

I also get a feeling the young guys/gals were trying to do the instagram thing, where are the older were more interested in actually building towards climax.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 23 2020, 09:50 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 23 2020, 09:38 PM) *
Very good points here. The younger guys did seem to be playingn "instagram guitar" which works best without a band imho. They are all fine players to be sure. Satch/Vai/Gilbert are legendary players for very good reason. They are really that good and they've earned every bit of it. Not being "sped up" in post production, no editing, this is playing live, without a new, in front of a crowd. High pressure, high expectation, and they nail it.

Yes - and instagram content is typically very far from jamming/improvising - it's about getting a perfect / killer 30 second take. This is of course very difficult and the skill should not be minimised ( I can't do it btw).

Ultimately one would combine that with a more jam based approach - to loosen things up!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2020, 07:20 PM
Instructor
I can see how young guys are much comfortable here:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 26 2020, 09:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 23 2020, 09:50 PM) *
Yes - and instagram content is typically very far from jamming/improvising - it's about getting a perfect / killer 30 second take. This is of course very difficult and the skill should not be minimised ( I can't do it btw).

Ultimately one would combine that with a more jam based approach - to loosen things up!

The main thing I see is that they don't know when to not play

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 26 2020, 09:31 PM
they do seem a lot more comfortable doing a bit more of a light jazz thing. Many of them focus on much less gain in their playing so having a less intrusive backing track seems to help quite a bit. In a full on 'Rock Jam", a good bit of gain to help bend/vibrato sing through comes in handy. I do think the guys in Polyphia are killer players in their own right. It's just a very different approach that doesnt' lend itself to the typical Namm Jam. Maybe they will break off the instagram jam next year ?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 26 2020, 02:20 PM) *
I can see how young guys are much comfortable here:

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 26 2020, 09:49 PM
Old guy rant alert!

Maybe they're more comfortable but it just sounds like mindless, out of time wanking to me ... and a lot of questionable note choices. Nobody's playing rhythm. Not one friggin' chord. They're just waiting to play. No real interaction with the drums and bass either. That's not a 'jam'. May as well just have had a backing track. Yuck! Sorry but I draw the line at this amateur BS playing. *The dude with the ball cap is the only one that sort of knows where the time is and actually tells a little story.

Ever have a conversation with someone who's just waiting to talk? That's what this is.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 26 2020, 10:32 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 26 2020, 11:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 26 2020, 09:49 PM) *
Old guy rant alert!

Maybe they're more comfortable but it just sounds like mindless, out of time wanking to me ... and a lot of questionable note choices. Nobody's playing rhythm. Not one friggin' chord. They're just waiting to play. No real interaction with the drums and bass either. That's not a 'jam'. May as well just have had a backing track. Yuck! Sorry but I draw the line at this amateur BS playing. *The dude with the ball cap is the only one that sort of knows where the time is and actually tells a little story.

Ever have a conversation with someone who's just waiting to talk? That's what this is.

did you see that Wooten video in my earlier post

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:24 PM