Dropped "d" Tuning Help
GuitarMonkey
Mar 17 2009, 11:54 AM
GMC:er
I am having some trouble understanding how to tune to dropped "D". I am using a Korg GA-30 tuner.
If I understand the concept correctly, I tune all strings to standard, then tune my low E to D...right?
On the tuner, I am able to tune showing a half-step down, full-step down..etc. What should I be tuning my low E string down to? one-half, whole? Which one gets me to dropped D? I hope I'm making some sense for all of you. sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by GuitarMonkey: Mar 17 2009, 11:55 AM

--------------------
[font="Tahoma"][/font][size="4"][/size][color="#008000"][/color]GuitarMonkey
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 17 2009, 12:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GuitarMonkey @ Mar 17 2009, 10:54 AM) *
I am having some trouble understanding how to tune to dropped "D". I am using a Korg GA-30 tuner.
If I understand the concept correctly, I tune all strings to standard, then tune my low E to D...right?
On the tuner, I am able to tune showing a half-step down, full-step down..etc. What should I be tuning my low E string down to? one-half, whole? Which one gets me to dropped D? I hope I'm making some sense for all of you. sad.gif

It's a full step down mate. Half step would be from Eb to E or D# to E which is the same.

1 fret distance is a half step
2 frets distance is a full/whole step

You should learn intervals, you'll need it all the time.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 17 2009, 07:19 PM
Instructor
Your 6th string should sound like your fourth string but an octave lower. I think then when you have approached it by ear then you can use your tuner to be more precise.

I hope this helps smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Mar 17 2009, 09:52 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Mar 17 2009, 05:00 AM) *
It's a full step down mate. Half step would be from Eb to E or D# to E which is the same.

1 fret distance is a half step
2 frets distance is a full/whole step

You should learn intervals, you'll need it all the time.

Thanks for the help. This answers my question. I'll work on those intervals. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by GuitarMonkey: Mar 17 2009, 09:52 PM

--------------------
[font="Tahoma"][/font][size="4"][/size][color="#008000"][/color]GuitarMonkey

+Quote Post
sigma7
Mar 17 2009, 09:55 PM
drop it down a major 2nd, or M2 or a full step because D to E is two frets thus two half steps thus one whole step thus a M2

sorry, i no the question was answered but im practicing my theory

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:54 AM