Adjusting Guitar Help
shredmandan
Sep 13 2007, 03:58 AM
GMC:er
Hello anybody and everybody tongue.gif
Ok I took a picture so it will help explain what im talking about.I installed a new bridge awhile bacl and since my guitar has never been the same.I know my intonation is off as well but i first need to fix my problem with action.Ok there is 2 screws in each guitar saddle on the bridge.Before when my guitar shop fixed it up they were level with saddles never sticking way up above them like they are pictured now.Well this is the only way i have been able to get the action lower since i switched bridges.I have adjusted back of guitar were tremolo springs are over and over again and dont seem to get results.

I would just take back to guitar shop but i am flat broke and the biggest reason i dont is because i never get my guitar back any earlier than one week sad.gif Can anybody help me get my bridge set up right without having to have screws on saddles almost all the way out?I know how im supposed to adjust intonation but ofcourse with this problem it wont help till i solve it.

thanks
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
MickeM
Sep 13 2007, 05:42 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Yeah, that's like twelve sore thumbs sticking out. blink.gif

You say it's a new bridge... but do you mean this guitar with this bridge has been to the shop and returned with less of the screws showing?
If not, I'm guessing the screws are all the same length and in fact will stick out that far.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 13 2007, 07:10 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Dan - quick qs - do you have travel still on the screws (ie they aren't screwed fully down) and2) do the strings buzz at all if you fret down the neck? If no to both you may be ok...

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 13 2007, 07:21 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 13 2007, 02:10 AM) *
Dan - quick qs - do you have travel still on the screws (ie they aren't screwed fully down) and2) do the strings buzz at all if you fret down the neck? If no to both you may be ok...

Cheers,
Tony

No the strings dont really buzz i have that under controll.Its not like the screws that hold the bridge down that im showing in pick.I dont even know if you call them screws,its the little peices that are in the guitar saddles that you use to adjust the saddles im refurring to in pic.U see when you adjust them it makes the saddle go up and down thus it adjusts the action some.I have did this because i cant get the action ajusted by the back where trem springs are.

Mickem
to answer your question i have not taken the guitar to shop since i installed the bridge.I was refurring to when they used to set up my guitar it wasent like this.I installed the bridge (mistake laugh.gif ) and now its like this.If i took to guitar shop im sure they would fix but o dont really have the money right now.Its the peices that you use to adjust the sadlle that are sticking up ,like the ones you adjust using a hex wrench or allen key.

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Sep 13 2007, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure that I understand your problem. Are you annoyed because of the screws sticking up too far? If the action is pretty ok, then the screws will probably sticky up this much, only thing is to get some shorter screws.

Not sure if this is what you mean though...

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
symon
Sep 13 2007, 12:36 PM
only thing is to get some shorter screws.

or just remove those ones, one at a time screw into a nut of the right size with the amount you want to shorten sticking out and grind off using a bench grinder (holding in pliers of course and all the usual safety stuff)
then just radius the edge slightly with a file or emery paper
warm regards symon

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 13 2007, 01:28 PM
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Sep 13 2007, 07:21 AM) *
I'm not sure that I understand your problem. Are you annoyed because of the screws sticking up too far? If the action is pretty ok, then the screws will probably sticky up this much, only thing is to get some shorter screws.

Not sure if this is what you mean though...

Thanks guys
I know i made this question crazy sounding tongue.gif Just the thing was before i had my action low without having to have the screws sticking up real high.Now i feel like it all has to do with the adjustments in the back were trem springs are ect.Truth is im just not real good at guitar repairs sad.gif i wont even touch the truss rod.All i will do on a guitar is the very easy stuff and installing humbucker's.

Thanks for the advice guys smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 13 2007, 03:01 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Sep 13 2007, 02:28 PM) *
Just the thing was before i had my action low without having to have the screws sticking up real high.

New bridge, new and different screws. I don't think the shop could fix it just by screwing them further in. That's my guess.

What could be on a Fender bridge is that fo rthe saddles the screws belong to certain saddles.

E strings have short screws
B and A have longer screws than E
While G and A have the longest screws

If you decide to grind off a bit of each screw make sure you grind at the BOTTOM of the screw, not at the Allen fit. I think a mistake like that with such a small thingy could happen easily.

If you remove the saddle you could always try to see if you can screw it down further. I mean, not you can't since the saddle will travel, but if the saddle is not attached maybe you can get it further down before you attach the saddle. Don't know if I'm thinking all wrong now but I would try it at least if I go for the grinding part.

+Quote Post
Francis Viviers
Sep 13 2007, 03:34 PM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Sep 13 2007, 04:58 AM) *
Hello anybody and everybody tongue.gif
Ok I took a picture so it will help explain what im talking about.I installed a new bridge awhile bacl and since my guitar has never been the same.I know my intonation is off as well but i first need to fix my problem with action.Ok there is 2 screws in each guitar saddle on the bridge.Before when my guitar shop fixed it up they were level with saddles never sticking way up above them like they are pictured now.Well this is the only way i have been able to get the action lower since i switched bridges.I have adjusted back of guitar were tremolo springs are over and over again and dont seem to get results.

I would just take back to guitar shop but i am flat broke and the biggest reason i dont is because i never get my guitar back any earlier than one week sad.gif Can anybody help me get my bridge set up right without having to have screws on saddles almost all the way out?I know how im supposed to adjust intonation but ofcourse with this problem it wont help till i solve it.

thanks

As far as i can see, you saddle height does not seem right. Those screws should be in deeper. Did you keep the saddles so low for a very low action ?

+Quote Post
symon
Sep 13 2007, 03:51 PM
just a thought did you tighten the springs making the bridge rise from its cavity(not quite sure if this guitar has a cavity) therefore not having to have the saddles so high because the bridge is now sitting higher maybe you can loosen off springs and then the bridge will lower and you can wind the screws in further
warm regards symon

This post has been edited by symon: Sep 13 2007, 03:54 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:11 AM