> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Lead Preparations With Echoshill
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 1 2013, 09:38 AM
Instructor
Howdy Mark!

This here is your personal thread! Let's use it to communicate and work together from now on smile.gif

Is that Vivaldi track going alright?

Cheerios!

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 1 2013, 03:00 PM
GMC:er
I think well. The piece is not internalized yet, but I am pretty sure I could get through at tempo if if I were to be reading it.

The deal is that while some folks practice to get something right, I practice to never get it wrong. The second way takes a little more time.

I have a history of working pieces like this, but only to a point where my current ability takes me. If that happens to be just shy of the max tempo, I don't continue to push past. That is problematic. Part of my goal in joining here was to have someone to be accountable to.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 2 2013, 02:30 PM
Instructor
Hey Mark,

Got it wink.gif I will keep a sharp eye out on your progress and make sure I am the one you fear biggrin.gif

Take your time, internalize it and let's see how it turns out - regarding the pushing - is this piece achievable and how close is it to your limits, as you see them right now?

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 3 2013, 03:49 AM
Cosmin,

I am at 80% of 120 BPM now. A few of the sections are a bit more difficult than I had first thought. But I must get pushed through this. 130-140 has been a barrier of mine for a very long time. So this piece, tempo wise, is right at my limit.

I have serious issues when it comes to confidence and taking solos. By all accounts, I do it very well, I am just a total head case when it comes to solos and anxiety. Maybe the worse you will have ever encountered.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 3 2013, 10:03 AM
Instructor
Can't be that bad mate - it's just a matter of building confidence, I am sure of it wink.gif Let's see how you fare with this one and then I will give you an assignment based on what you have seen here, which will deal with building a similar sequence of arpeggios over a given chord progression smile.gif

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 3 2013, 04:20 PM
If you have the time, I would love to know what the process of gaining confidence was llike for you. I think some folks just have, naturally, tons of self confidence (or a bunch of I just don't give a crap) and away they guy. THen there is me.

Back to it.....

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 4 2013, 11:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Echoshill @ Mar 3 2013, 03:20 PM) *
If you have the time, I would love to know what the process of gaining confidence was llike for you. I think some folks just have, naturally, tons of self confidence (or a bunch of I just don't give a crap) and away they guy. THen there is me.

Back to it.....

Hey mate! I was definitely NOT and still am NOT the 'I don't give a crap' sort of dude smile.gif It took a long time for me to gain confidence and to be able to leave all fears aside on stage and in front of people. The more I did it and exposed myself, the better it went you know. There are countless adventures and stories that I can tell you, but the one which is most dear to me, is from when I was first going to perform with a philharmonic orchestra and I was dead scared. In that moment, a friend and awesome guitarplayer, told me that I should be happy, as those 4.23 minutes onstage are my private party with the audience and I should be a good host and feel free to enjoy the party with the people that i invited, right? Didn't work out THAT well, but still, I tried to feel like I was at a party biggrin.gif

What are you actually scared of man?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 7 2013, 02:49 AM
Sorry for the delay. I have been in rehearsal all week.

Quite simply, I can not let go of the fear of sounding bad. I have extremely low self esteem and let my music directly effect how I feel about myself. When I play poorly, I feel worse. There you have it.

M

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 7 2013, 08:48 AM
Instructor
Mate! It seems that someone up there read your post before I did and threw this video in front of my eyes on Facebook smile.gif Enjoy!

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 7 2013, 09:31 PM
I have done a great deal of reading on this. In particular a book by Ken Werner. I whole heatedly believe that the mind has a HUGE effect on what is possible with music. Especially technically. I assure you Cos, I am working very hard to push those negative thoughts out of my mind. But it is a very bleak movie that has been playing for a very VERY long time.

I am at a wall with the Paganini piece. Most of the sections are clean at 110 however I can not play them at that piece every time without error. It feels right on the ragged edge of my ability. Section 5 (the next to the last one before the pedal tones) is the most difficult by far.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 7 2013, 10:28 PM
Instructor
I have and read the book by Kenny Werner - amazing one and it helped a BIG LOT!

Mate , it's all within you - first of all, and foremost - playing should be fun - throw faces, sing and all that smile.gif Do you do that? what's the most fun thing to play for you?

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 8 2013, 04:11 PM
Can I just say that, regardless of what happens with my playing, getting to know you here has been a very positive thing.

I really dig playing for musical theater. But that only happens 4-5 times a year. It is probably because I only have to play what is written so my lack of musical imagination is never exposed. I also enjoy practicing technique because improvement is measurable (or lack of improvement as is my case).

Other than that, my time with the jazz orchestra and my sax/guitar combo are NOTHING that I enjoy. The musicians I play with are so good, and the pieces so tough, that I am hanging on for dear life through the whole tune. I apparently do it ok, but so what?

My heart is in fusion (i.e. Guthrie Govan) and prog metal (i.e. Dream Theater). I would never ever listen to jazz on my own. It just so happens that jazz is what I get paid to play.

Music is not fun for me Cosmin. It is like I do it because I can't. I tell myself it will be fun when my ability increases and it is not so much work.

I feel like I should post a recording of where I am at on your piece just to prove I am working on it. Whatever tempo I can manage.

This post has been edited by Echoshill: Mar 8 2013, 04:12 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2013, 05:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Echoshill @ Mar 8 2013, 03:11 PM) *
Can I just say that, regardless of what happens with my playing, getting to know you here has been a very positive thing.

Music is not fun for me Cosmin. It is like I do it because I can't. I tell myself it will be fun when my ability increases and it is not so much work.

I feel like I should post a recording of where I am at on your piece just to prove I am working on it. Whatever tempo I can manage.

First things first - Thank you man smile.gif It means a lot if I would know that I would help make such a change in someone's life!

Second - you just answered your biggest question mate - if you don't enjoy what you play, how would you expect it to be fun and to make you feel good, thus improve and strive to improve for the love of it, not for the fear of it smile.gif

Third - please go ahead!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 9 2013, 05:44 PM
Here it is Cosmin. This is about 82% of the backing track tempo. I can go a little faster, but not 100% as of yet.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  MARK_WINTER_PAG.mp3 ( 1.22MB ) Number of downloads: 117

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 10 2013, 11:18 AM
Instructor
Howdy man! I think your picking is accurate and clean as an ensemble, but I feel like the track is very, very, very, almost imperceptibly slightly ahead of you - there is a latency in your playing which is probably occurring due to the fact that you are not mastering it at this speed YET smile.gif

My advice would be to give it some more time and I would also like to bring another exercise into your attention, so that we may keep things fresh - of course you should practice the Vivaldi, till it gets at speed wink.gif

What say you: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Intervals-Etude/

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 11 2013, 03:41 AM
Not sure I understand what you mean with the ensemble comment. Were you just trying to find something nice to say?

That speed is actually really comfortable. I just did not rehearse with the track as much as I should have before I recorded. I'll keep at it.

With regard to the new exercise, why did you choose that exercise? What did you hear or not hear that made you suggest it. Sorry dude, when it comes to allocating practice time to something I don't do anything without knowing why.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 10 2013, 05:18 AM) *
Howdy man! I think your picking is accurate and clean as an ensemble, but I feel like the track is very, very, very, almost imperceptibly slightly ahead of you - there is a latency in your playing which is probably occurring due to the fact that you are not mastering it at this speed YET smile.gif

My advice would be to give it some more time and I would also like to bring another exercise into your attention, so that we may keep things fresh - of course you should practice the Vivaldi, till it gets at speed wink.gif

What say you: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Intervals-Etude/

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 11 2013, 09:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Echoshill @ Mar 11 2013, 02:41 AM) *
Not sure I understand what you mean with the ensemble comment. Were you just trying to find something nice to say?

That speed is actually really comfortable. I just did not rehearse with the track as much as I should have before I recorded. I'll keep at it.

With regard to the new exercise, why did you choose that exercise? What did you hear or not hear that made you suggest it. Sorry dude, when it comes to allocating practice time to something I don't do anything without knowing why.

Hey man smile.gif I am not trying to say something nice just for the sake of it - but you answered your question again - not practicing against a backing track will always cause minor latencies simply due to the fact that you have to better adapt to that rhythmic context, not to a dry click smile.gif

Regarding the exercise - it deals with a lot of string crossing and skipping and more awkward left hand positions which is nothing but helpful in your journey on developing picking skills - have you taken a good look over it? Not to mention the idea of phrasing by using various interval shapes in a major scale smile.gif

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 11 2013, 07:29 PM
Hey Cos,

Yeah I watched the clip. I just wanted to know why you chose that piece in particular. Meaning, did you hear something in one of the sections in winter arps that made you say, ohhhhhh, he needs this.

For example, most of the phrases in the winter piece I could blow way faster than I did. It is just the next to the last before the pedal tonw that REALLY slows me up.

Tell me, when you plateu, what is the process that you go through to ladder up in tempo? Could you describe it in detail?

This post has been edited by Echoshill: Mar 12 2013, 01:30 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 12 2013, 09:53 AM
Instructor
I chose it because as with the Vivaldi piece, even if it doesn't seem as a particularly difficult piece, it is not simple either smile.gif It will bring variation - I don't want you to get bored with Vivaldi - and juggling with intervals will always be fun - at least it is for me : )

About plateaus - usually, when I feel like I am stagnating, I leave things to brew a little smile.gif I simply accept that I need more time to be able to play that and I allocate a little practice time for it in my schedule, but I don't go crazy over it. Time solves everything usually and if you struggle with angry thoughts or let frustration take over, it's not going to work. I focus on other things and come back to that piece constantly and try to observe myself - how much I am moving, how relaxed I am, how synchronized are my hands, which are the spots where I feel less confident with...stuff like that. It's the best to be able to make great use of things which are a natural talent to you - for instance, I am much better with legato than alternate picking and I am all around a far better melodic player rather than a technical one. I won't go crazy because I wasn't built for shredding at 250 BPM - actually I much prefer being creative, expressive and melodic smile.gif What are your natural strong points?

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 12 2013, 03:03 PM
Cosmin,

Great response. You are patient and have a gift for teaching which is rare among talented players.

Full disclosure, I am just one year back on the instrument after 10 years off. I literally quit for 10 years....why?....well.... at the time when I quit I was able to cover just about everything from satriani, vai, you name it. My legato and economy picking was sick good. Then I heard John Petrucci and his theory on alt picking and I stopped everything to learn the way he did things. HUGE EPIC mistake that I never ever recovered from.

The frustration from not being able to alternate pick like John, combined with other musical frustrations (most that I still have today), made me put the instrument down. It was my wife who asked, are you really willing to throw the next 20 years of playing away because of the last 10 and John Petrucci? So, I picked it up again. About 1 month back after the 10 years off I cold read for the swing jazz band I am in and was immediately accepted to the band. Most of those guys are Masters level musicians with a few DMA thrown in for good measure. I did my first of many musicals shortly there after.

I honestly have no idea what my strengths are. I am ridiculously methodical and my resolve to be good is beyond reproach. I practice only what I can not play. I am diverse in what I am able to play, but I am truly a master at nothing. I guess, above all, I am a very good student. My favorite players are Guthrie (of course) and I really like the new player for Soilwork David Andersson. That cat is sick. Very melodic and technical. Steve Lukather is great as well.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:17 PM