Epi Headstock Break
Mertay
Apr 25 2019, 10:33 PM
GMC:er
Friend who is a gigging musician and teacher posted on instagram, after the soundcheck he placed the guitar on a stand and moments later heard the noise...out of no where the headstock was completely broken.

He could find a guitar in time for the gig but he really liked that one and have been using for 2-3 years. I called him, he said a year ago a crack started to appear so a luthier glued it which seemed to stop the cracks progress. I guess the cracking moved on internally and finally broke.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 26 2019, 02:59 AM
Sorry to hear sad.gif Especially right before a gig. Sounds like it's time for a new neck.
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 25 2019, 05:33 PM) *
Friend who is a gigging musician and teacher posted on instagram, after the soundcheck he placed the guitar on a stand and moments later heard the noise...out of no where the headstock was completely broken.

He could find a guitar in time for the gig but he really liked that one and have been using for 2-3 years. I called him, he said a year ago a crack started to appear so a luthier glued it which seemed to stop the cracks progress. I guess the cracking moved on internally and finally broke.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 26 2019, 11:42 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 26 2019, 01:59 AM) *
Sorry to hear sad.gif Especially right before a gig. Sounds like it's time for a new neck.

Same break happened to another friend of mine 3-4 years ago, and was fixed. Result was pretty good actually, I found the guy who repaired it and sent the info. I also sended this link to cheer him up a bit;

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/genera...__fix_them.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 26 2019, 02:34 PM
Heradstock breaks are an easy and common fix. If there isn't too much splintering of the wood, the luthier drills holes in both sides (laterally), fits dowels with glue in the holes and then glues and clamps the the whole break area.
Done correctly it should be stronger than it was originally.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 26 2019, 02:35 PM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 26 2019, 04:23 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 26 2019, 05:34 AM) *
Heradstock breaks are an easy and common fix. If there isn't too much splintering of the wood, the luthier drills holes in both sides (laterally), fits dowels with glue in the holes and then glues and clamps the the whole break area.
Done correctly it should be stronger than it was originally.

+1 on that. I have seen this more than once with Les Pauls. A friend of mine (who was drunk at the time rolleyes.gif) fell down some stairs with his once. He actually broke it twice. The 1st time it was just glued and clamped back together and it was good until he fell down the stairs. After that it was fixed in the manner Ken describes and then it was great. Some people say they are better than original in terms of sustain and tone after that. The guitar actually took another fall off of a guitar stand after that but took no damage. It was still plugged in and someone tripped over the cable, pulling it crashing down on a concrete floor. That poor guitar took a beating but she is still singing.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 26 2019, 06:05 PM
You're unlikely to find a vintage LP - 70s and older - that doesn't have a headstock repair.

The design of the instrument makes it susceptible to breaks but that design is also one of the key factors in the unique tone of a good Les Paul. *Break angle of the headstock and the thin/shallow neck at the 1st fret and under the nut. It is what it is. Be careful with them. They're musical instruments, not gardening tools.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 26 2019, 08:28 PM
As Ken said, as long as it was a fairly clean break it should be repairable! Hope it gets fixed!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 29 2019, 11:37 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
It happens easily to SGs too!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 01:33 AM