Soundcard For Recording, Question about soundcards PC
napsternova
Dec 8 2007, 05:21 PM
GMC:er
What soundcard should I get for recording my guitar playing? I bought a Line 6 Toneport UX2 so I should be able to record via USB. Will this work? I am just using the built in soundcard on my PC. Figured I would need a better card. Any suggestions?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
--- Jump in with both feet and hopefully you don't land on your head---
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 8 2007, 05:24 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well the toneport IS a sound card..Just plug it in , install the drivers and software and go to control panel of your windows > sound > and choose toneport for default sound device..You will then hear every sound on your computer comming from toneport..And it will sound much better.
To record start your favourite recording software , start gearbox software (toneport) and dial desired tone of your guitar, set toneport as recording device in your recording software and RECORD wink.gif

cheers mate wink.gif toneport is great!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 8 2007, 06:02 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
As Bogdan says you can certainly use your toneport and it will be better then the AC97 type soundchip that came installed on your pc's mobo.

Nonetheless if you wanted to get more serious about recording and monitoring then you will find the toneport somewhat limited. One isue is the number and types of ins may become too limited if you get into recording - for now they're probably sufficient though. Partly in that it hasn't got xlr out, only trs, which limits your choice of monitors albeit you could take the S/PDIF out to a suitable external DAC and then on to monitors - but that's a bit over the top for this device. Partly its technical specifications is limited to 24bit - doesn't say what the frequency is though - presumably either 44.1 or variable. 24bit is fine in most situations but you can get some where a more flexible choice of bit depth can be useful.

All in all it's probably fine for now but in the longer term if you get more in to recording then you might want to get a more pro orientated card. If you do then take a look at RME.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 8 2007, 08:48 PM
Instructor
Toneport IS a soundcard man. Just go to Control Panel>Sound Devices> and find it in the combobox.

ALthoguh it is a good soundcard, it doesent have its own MIDI bank, and it can`t record (directly from the mixer) your stereo out/wave out.

If you wanna MIDI interface and a deacent card to start producing start wiht inexpencive EMU models. EMU 0404 PCI has MIDI I/O, and some DSP functionality. Look on the web for further info.

Hope this helps

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
napsternova
Dec 8 2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys for all your help!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 8 2007, 10:33 PM
Instructor
You could also check out different recording interfaces like Presonus Firepod. It has XLR and Line in inputs plus a MIDI I/O. Im thinking about buying one next year. The only downside is that your computer must have a Firewire input.

This would be a great way, because then you wouldn't need a fancy soundcard, 'cause the Presonus operates through the Firewire input. smile.gif

-Toni

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
napsternova
Dec 9 2007, 12:16 AM
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Dec 8 2007, 10:33 PM) *
You could also check out different recording interfaces like Presonus Firepod. It has XLR and Line in inputs plus a MIDI I/O. Im thinking about buying one next year. The only downside is that your computer must have a Firewire input.

This would be a great way, because then you wouldn't need a fancy soundcard, 'cause the Presonus operates through the Firewire input. smile.gif

-Toni

Wow Toni the Presonus Firepod looks like a sweet piece of equipment! I am going to have to take a closer look. The video really give a good idea of what is possible. Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 9 2007, 12:42 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Firewire PCI card costs about 15$ max (I bought new one) and its very useful..So I don't think that has to be the downside wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 9 2007, 12:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Dec 9 2007, 01:42 AM) *
Firewire PCI card costs about 15$ max (I bought new one) and its very useful..So I don't think that has to be the downside wink.gif

Good point Bogdan, I didn't think about that one smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 10 2007, 03:07 PM
Instructor
I'm not sure if TONEPORT is a soundcard, I belive it is only an audio interface so you can record the sound but you still have to have a computer soundcard in order to hear anything, am I right? smile.gif

I use M-Audio Audiophile 2496, it has Line in, Line out, Midi and Digital I/O, the bad thing about this card is that you need a mixer and a DI Box to record a guitar properly, so maybe it is cheaper to have TONEPORT combined with any decent soundcard (such as Creative Labs) wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 10 2007, 05:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dejan @ Dec 10 2007, 03:07 PM) *
I'm not sure if TONEPORT is a soundcard, I belive it is only an audio interface so you can record the sound but you still have to have a computer soundcard in order to hear anything, am I right? smile.gif

I use M-Audio Audiophile 2496, it has Line in, Line out, Midi and Digital I/O, the bad thing about this card is that you need a mixer and a DI Box to record a guitar properly, so maybe it is cheaper to have TONEPORT combined with any decent soundcard (such as Creative Labs) wink.gif

Toneport IS a soundcard. It doesent have MIDI banks and DSP is going through CPU but it does work as a audio and a MIDI souncard with over a 100dB S\N ratio.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:36 PM