> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Van Halen Tapping Style - Beginner, Lesson By Joe Kataldo
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
8 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

zoom
Nov 23 2011, 04:31 AM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Van Halen Tapping Style - Beginner by Joe Kataldo

My attempt at Joe Kataldo's Van Halen Tapping lesson. Just new to tapping so any feed back appreciated. Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 23 2011, 11:28 AM
Instructor
Strong effort. Just keep working on it to get the sustain and fluidity that Joe gets in the lesson. Some of the last notes of the fretting hand disappear, usually just before you change positions.. this can be rectified with just more practice at slow pace but generally all good smile.gif

One thing I recommend is to try and develop your tapping technique whilst holding a pick between your index finger and thumb. Chances are that you're going to use tapping whilst playing with a pick anyway, nobody stops the song, puts their pick down and then resumes the solo wink.gif So that's another little thing I would do to ingrain it into the rest of your playing style.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 23 2011, 03:39 PM
Instructor
This sounds very good, you got almost all the notes down. Some are a bit weaker then others, so you should even out the dynamics on this one. One important thing to correct is timing. It has to be consistent, try to practice on slower tempos. I'm sure you can do it a lot better if you stay on low tempos for couple of days.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 24 2011, 09:27 AM
Instructor
Aside from Ben and Ivan's very important observations, I would add that you could also hold the pick between your thumb and the upper part of the guitar neck. It's a wonderful technique which allows instantaneous passage between fully available 4 fingers on the right hand and the other techniques which imply using a pick - all this without wasting any time.

Check this out:

- when tapping comes in, place the pick between the thumb and the superior side of the neck right above the thickest string. THe pick should rest flat on the neck.
- while playing, your thumb applies light pressure on the pick so that it may stay there but it can also slide along the neck when the right hand moves around.
- when you're done tapping, just take the pick away and hold it normally so that you may pick smile.gif

hope it makes sense

Cosmin

+Quote Post
skennington
Nov 29 2011, 06:10 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
close man..7.3

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:19 AM