Guitar Effects - Im Stumped
r1ch4rdh
Jul 2 2007, 11:24 PM
GMC:er
Iv been thinking about buying some effects stuff for my guitar but i dont know where to start. Are you better off getting multieffects boxes like PODs or multieffects floor racks or a range of individual stomp pedles? Plus i dont really know what all the different effects do. I really like the sound Matt bellamy goes for on songs like super massive black hole etc but i havnt a clue how to achieve such a sound, and i want to be able to acheive a range of sounds.

Can anyone help me in my search for decent effects pedles?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 2 2007, 11:27 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Depends on the sound you want, im minimalist really, i got a distortion pedal, and a wah pedal, thats all i use, but some good pedals to get are Delay and Reverb Pedals, Wah Pedals, or you can just get a really good Mulit FX, There a good investment if you got the money.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Stratman58
Jul 2 2007, 11:35 PM
I really do suggest saving the little bit of extra money to be able to have a POD as one of your options. After 5 years of guitar playing and buying different effects, discovering the PodXT Live that I now own was a joy and at the same time, frustrating (because the POD seemed to have all the effects or equivalent I had paid well over $1000 for!). Before I had the POD, I had a electro harmonix Memory man($215) a couple of ibanez tank pedals for chorus, flanger, and delay (probably around $250), and a crybaby ($120). I also have some other Boss'. Most of those pedals are now in the closet because of my POD. Not only are you getting all of these effects with the pod, but you are also getting amp and cabinet modelings with it (you can mix and match amps with cabinets, say a Roland jazz head with 4x12 vintage 30's or a Marshall head running through a Soldano cabinet....possibilties are endless biggrin.gif).

Of course if you don't need amp modeling and just want effects, you can simply bypass amp modeling, but it is a great feature.

I hope I didn't sound like a Line6 sales rep, but the POD literally enabled me to acquire the tone that I had always wanted.

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals

+Quote Post
r1ch4rdh
Jul 3 2007, 07:07 PM
Isnt the pod no use for gigging though? no pedals on that for changing tone or effect during a song or solo. My friend tells me the multi-effects gear isnt as good as the idiviual units but some people tell me the opposite.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 3 2007, 07:12 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (r1ch4rdh @ Jul 3 2007, 02:07 PM) *
Isnt the pod no use for gigging though? no pedals on that for changing tone or effect during a song or solo. My friend tells me the multi-effects gear isnt as good as the idiviual units but some people tell me the opposite.

There is a live pod - the PodXT live, has a built in pedal board wah pedal etc - I have it and it rocks smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Stratman58
Jul 3 2007, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (r1ch4rdh @ Jul 3 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Yeah the Podxt Live is a pedalboard setup, complete with a pedal for volume/wah/tweak (like the digitech whammy).

Just a guess, but your friends were probably in my boat (as in they have money invested in pedals) but didn't take the plunge into getting a multieffects pedal like the POD.

Just do some research on it man and try to find a music shop that has them to play.

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jul 4 2007, 10:47 PM
would suggest the vox tonelab, once its confermed that there is chance of distort and full time wah pedal

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 7 2007, 01:39 AM
Other side of the coin
I'd say that a multi effects device would be great for figuring out what you want - and a quality multi effects (PodXT, Zoom etc.) is useful for gigging too.

Other than that, this:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Effects-Pedal...4544&sr=8-1

... is a great book for getting familiar with effects (although you'd have to be somewhat nerdy to read it from cover to cover wink.gif) - greatest thing about it is that it includes a CD with very good examples of the various sounds, different types of distortion etc. Very very helpful, even to people who think they've heard it all smile.gif And it's written by a guy who knows what he's talking about, and is clearly in love with the whole range of effects.

Matt's sound in Supermassive Black Hole is relatively simple to get - fuzz distortion box + low/mid-gain on the amplifier.

For the perfect match, the fuzz is a Zvex Fuzz Factory - which really sounds like no other fuzz outthere, although you can get close without it in the case of SmBH - it has endless possibilities smile.gif. For Supermassive: Gate all the way down, Compression about 3/4 up, Drive and Stability almost maxed, and you're playing an exact replica of the song wink.gif A Telecaster (or Hyperblack, but there's only one of those guitars in existence - that wasn't really helpful laugh.gif) pretty much gives the exact guitar sound needed to emulate the Black Manson, but you should be able to get by with any guitar smile.gif

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 7 2007, 01:57 AM

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jul 10 2007, 07:11 PM
Its cheaped to buy a multi effects pedal, than buy each individual pedal.

Just be careful which onne you buy cause the digitech RP series suck...

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 10 2007, 07:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Jul 10 2007, 08:11 PM) *
Just be careful which one you buy cause the digitech RP series suck...

RP 100 was the one i started with! Was good for home practice! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jul 10 2007, 07:27 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 10 2007, 10:15 PM) *
RP 100 was the one i started with! Was good for home practice! smile.gif

Yeah but my friend has an RP 250 (which i guess is better than RP100) and i gives a really muddy sound.
Digitech has awesome distortion pedals, but for effets their GNX series pwns!!!

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 10 2007, 07:52 PM
Zoom's do crap sounding distortion... seriously, I would not recommend them as they are really fuzzy and digital, no tone what so ever.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 10 2007, 09:02 PM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (Owen @ Jul 10 2007, 08:52 PM) *
Zoom's do crap sounding distortion... seriously, I would not recommend them as they are really fuzzy and digital, no tone what so ever.

Even the G9.2tt? I only had a brief encounter with that one, and it sounded OK to me - not astonishing like a Zvex hooked up to a good amp (still my favorite), but quite good.

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 10 2007, 09:29 PM
Got the Zoom G2, which uses the same modelling effects, the Zoom G9.2tt just has more pedals and options.

Its horribly fuzzy and not very nice at all.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:40 PM