2 Pages V   1 2 >  
New Guitar!, Fender or Gibson?!?!?!?!
J.E.
Oct 16 2008, 10:51 PM
GMC:er
Hi my dad is helping me out next summer buying a new guitar and amp, though i have a problem i dont know which i want to get it must be Fender or Gibson about 2000$. I need a guitar i can play rock and roll on, the johnny be goode style riffs and maaaaaybe some hard rock(deep purple ish not too heavy) something inbetween blues and hardrock if you get my drift, im kinda intermediate but im not that into "hardcore blues" more of a simplified rhythm pattern and some rock licks and power chords etc.. sry if i sound like a complete wannabe:P I also need a guitar that doesent give me carpal tunnel syndrome like my cousin Robin(GMCer) so if you guys could give me some tips that would help out alot. Ive been thinking about a gibson les paul,explorer,Chuck berry guitar(dont remember the name)or a fender strat
im kinda clueless what gives me a good tone, my current guitar is a epiphone sg special with humbuckers, and i mostly use a bit overdrive on my amp, I have studied the Fender guitars and ive found out that strats are mostly country,blues
and gibson are Rock/Hardrock/metal guitars. Well looking forward for some answers from you experts out there:P sry for making such a long topic:P(dont kill me.... please....smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Can you imagine?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 16 2008, 11:08 PM
The reason for strats being mostly "clean" stuff is because of the singlecoils, which catches hum. But it isn't that much of a problem nowdays with noice canceling and less hum being spread out.

Just look at Yngwie per example, he plays a strat. So here's my advice try them out! Try standard american strats out, try gibson standars out. Find out which one you think look the best, feel nicest and sound the best.

When in comes to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome I believe that it has more to do with your technique than your guitar. Some techniques suits some guitars better. I've found that anchoring your pinky works best with strats while "floating" works better on thicker guitars, at least for me. I love playing floating so you'd rarely see me play a strat.

But back to topic. I think that you should play them through a good amp, try to make them sound EXACTLY the way you want them to. I mean, if you pay 2000 bucks you'd expect that.

To me, the most important thing is that the guitar feels really REALLY good, and that it sustain pretty good. Then one can always change the pickups ya know.

Uhm, what more... Make sure that you don't order a Gibson standard. Their quality control has it's flaws so either you get a roaring monster that's a beauty and plays like a devil or you get a phat walrus that have not clue what to do with. I'm not saying it's 50/50 no way near. They have a pretty good control but mistakes escapes it (not their custom control). Fender tends to have a bit better quality check.

my 2 cents.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Canis
Oct 16 2008, 11:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
It's mostly about taste, I guess... There is some people that love Gibson Les Paul, and there's some people who hate the feel of it. If you haven't tried them before, I suggest you do it in some local shop ^^
The only major difference I guess is that Gibsons often have humbuckers, and Fender often have single coils,, But that doesen't stop Maiden from rocking with a Fender Strat, or Gary Moore from getting his blues down with a Les Paul =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 16 2008, 11:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
You will have to try them to see which one you like best because the diffrence between a Les Paul and a Strat is HUGE.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 16 2008, 11:25 PM
There both great guitars,you cant go wrong with their good models.The gibson has a shorter scale length than a strat so you may find it slightly easier to play and string bend on- resulting in less wear and tear on your fretting hand

Tone wise gibsons are a lot fattter than strats,even strats with humbuckers.The extra weight in mahogany also gives it a darker tone compared to the lighter Alder bodied strats

I like both of them,there equal in build and tones but the strats are a lot cheaper!

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 17 2008, 12:08 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
They're both great, try some out and pick the one you like the most smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 17 2008, 12:32 AM
You should definitely try them, and also at least an Ibanez (which is kind of intermediary between Gibson and Fender).

It's really about taste. Some guitarists are just crazy about single coils, and others are crazy about humbuckers. Some, like me, want to have both (that may cost a lot though, tongue.gif , because you may need more than one guitar.)

I prefer humbucker sound for distortion and single coil sound for cleans. But everything has its own use.
strats usually play easier than les paul/sg, but on the other hand I prefer the fat sound of a les paul. Ibanez or fat strats would be compromises if you like both things.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
besip
Oct 17 2008, 12:47 AM
QUOTE (Gus @ Oct 16 2008, 06:32 PM) *
You should definitely try them, and also at least an Ibanez (which is kind of intermediary between Gibson and Fender).

tongue.gif , because you may need more than one guitar.)

i'm like hi!! tongue.gif i'm like play all stuff...check the new ibanez..she have great pickups and you can split the humbucker and use just single coil mode

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASV5470F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3pOVin4c44

i'm was try the blue one on Guitar center and sound good on metal and also nice melodic stuff...i'm realy thinking to buy the SV model smile.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Oct 17 2008, 12:49 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
ztevie
Oct 17 2008, 08:49 AM
Why does it have to be either a Gibson or Strat?? You realize that it's like choosing a girlfriend, and your only criteria is that her hair must be very blond or very black... What's wrong with the brown-haired ones?
You can hardly find 2 more different guitars, and you will limit yourself too much if you want to have a specific brand. What you need to do is try as many guitars you can, all kind of brands...

I've had both once upon a time. The strat with only single-coils didn't give me the fat sound I wanted, and I wanted a more flat fretboard. Les Paul, had the sound I wanted, but I felt the speed and playability on that neck was limited for me...
So I went into strat-like guitars with a flatter fretboard and humbuckers, which was right for me. Maybe a LesPaul or a strat is perfect for you, but I think often you will find that something in between may suit you better... Try many different guitars, you will soon find what you like and don't like.

Good luck!

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 17 2008, 09:01 AM
I think you should go to a shop and try out lots of guitars. I think for your music taste a Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster is what you'll end up with but try a load out. That's the key. You have to be happy with it in the end.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 17 2008, 10:02 PM
Instructor
I think we can't help you mate, it's up to you to choose the guitar. Don't get me wrong I wanna help you in any way I can, but the best advice I can give you is to trust me and go to the store, tryout several models of both Fender and Gibson, and just choose what feels best for you. Trust me you will know, those two guitars are very different, so it's either one or the other.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Oct 17 2008, 10:09 PM
Instructor
for more styles i suggest fender

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 17 2008, 10:56 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
As has already been suggested, go to the shop and try everything. If you are spending 2000$ you want to be sure you you get what you need. Fender: strats & teles. Gibson: LP and SGs. And maybe give a try to some Ibanez guitars, they are nice, Jackson too, but maybe too "metal" for your liking.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 18 2008, 12:31 AM
QUOTE (Hisham Al-Sanea @ Oct 17 2008, 02:09 PM) *
for more styles i suggest fender

I agree. I own both(An American Strat Plus and a Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded) and they are completely different beasts, but I find my strat more versatile. My Strat has high output Lace Hot Gold pups in it which are single coil but sound more like a humbucker so I can get a lot of variation in sounds. What the strat can do that the Les Paul can't is very clean highs. If you got a strat and didn't want to have to modify pups right away you would want to get the "Fat Strat" model which has a humbucker in bridge so it can get dirty when you want.

As far as the Chuck Berry guitar, you are most likely referring to the Gibson Es-335 which is a semi hollow body guitar - Thicker but resonates more(Alot of the Gretchs are this type - Brian Setzer Stray Cats type of thing). Those ES 335s are awesome but are more than you want to spend($3-4k) if you want the Gibson brand and you want new. They are my favs but I can't afford one, but don't get crisp highs like the strats.

You really got to play them, but also try with the amp and pedals you want to use, but the Strat is the most configurable all around guitar.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Oct 18 2008, 08:28 AM
Instructor
I would personally go for Gibson. But the choice is yours, play the guitars and see which one you prefer they will have a different feel and sound to each other. Either should be fine for the style you're looking to play.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Torben
Oct 18 2008, 08:45 AM
When I have decided to buy a guitar, I go to my local music store - a place I really trust - and try out a bunch of guitars. Usually (like most people) I have a certain amount of money to spend, but I try out both cheaper and very expensive ones (ones I can't afford). And off course some in my range. That way I can get a pretty good idea on what to look for.
Also discuss with a representative from the shop. If it's a serious shop they will be very helpful.
Usually I'll come back several times, to try more guitars. Some guitars are easy to eliminate: if I don't like the sound or looks. If they have flaws etc. In the end I will sit with a few guitars in my range. And then I try these thoroughly.
Finally I find the one.
(In reality I become more confused than I were before I started! wink.gif )
With the amount of money you mention you'll get a really nice one!
Good luck!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 18 2008, 10:30 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Send our regards to your cousine Robin, tell him it's been too long since he posted.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 18 2008, 10:37 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have just been to a store to orientate, I can give you one advice: try them out! The Gibsons play very differently from Fenders. There's a big difference in tone and playability, so just try!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
J.E.
Oct 18 2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks for all the advices! Ive talked to my uncle(robins dad:P) hes a strat player and he said that if i should spend alot of money on a guitar go for the fender, i must agree though it has single coils i just love the feel of fenders, you can get a rough tone from fenders if you throw in a little distortion, and i love that tremolo arm on the side tongue.gif

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
J.E.
Oct 21 2008, 02:45 PM
Hi thanks for all the advices im gonna call this Topic "closed"

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:58 PM