Ns2 Noise Suppressor, If you have an NS2 try this, it works
USAMAN
Dec 3 2007, 02:06 AM
GMC:er
I always had a problem with the noise generated by my high gain amps. Got a tip for you GMCers.
Boss NS-2 hook up. This even quiets down my 5150 to a zero noise amp. Most people put these between the guitar and the amp input....doesnt work very well. Most of the noise is from the preamp.
Try this it works killer!

Guitar > pedal input
Pedal output> effects return
Amp send> to pedal return
Pedal send> amp input.

Turn on effects loop........silence is bliss

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by USAMAN: Dec 3 2007, 03:41 AM

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 3 2007, 02:03 PM
Instructor
Nice advice I`ll try that sometimes to see how it works.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Mar 9 2008, 02:59 PM
Well Well. Let's bring an old thread back to life. I've been thinking about getting a NS-2 since my amp (JJ Labs 2x75HV) causes a lot of noise. I have a little question concerning how to connect everything.

First I had it this way: Guitar -> tuner-> delay->reverb->amp. It was ridiculusly noisy.
So I went and to a guy at the local guitar shop and he told me to plug the delay and reverb through "the loop" at the back of my amp. So I did. and the noise decreased a bit. So my question is. When using the NS-2. Should a think of its send and return jacks as the ones on my amp or how the heck shall I use it?

Anyway. my current pedal collection consists of:
Line 6 Dm 4
Boss dd6
boss tu2
boss rv5
dunlop crybaby.

Any kind of help how to connect these "correctly" would be appretiated (how do you spell that?).

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 9 2008, 04:16 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (PanicProne @ Mar 9 2008, 02:59 PM) *
Well Well. Let's bring an old thread back to life. I've been thinking about getting a NS-2 since my amp (JJ Labs 2x75HV) causes a lot of noise. I have a little question concerning how to connect everything.

First I had it this way: Guitar -> tuner-> delay->reverb->amp. It was ridiculusly noisy.
So I went and to a guy at the local guitar shop and he told me to plug the delay and reverb through "the loop" at the back of my amp. So I did. and the noise decreased a bit. So my question is. When using the NS-2. Should a think of its send and return jacks as the ones on my amp or how the heck shall I use it?

Line 6 Dm 4
Boss dd6
boss tu2
boss rv5
dunlop crybaby.

Any kind of help how to connect these "correctly" would be appretiated (how do you spell that?).

The example above was for shutting a 5150 up which is known for hiss so the suggestion from USAMAN I take should be used for amps with noisy preamps. Not in general.

there are different kind of noice surpressors/gates to detect noice and kill all sound when the sound level is below a cut value or just to filter out the noise. A noisegate in the example above would render useless since the noise is added later in the chain.
The general idea of putting the noisegate first in the chain is to elimiate nose from the pickups and when the signal is clean send in the signal to the pedals.

Like:
guitar->gate->sound altering pedals->preamp->time altering pedals->poweramp

(between the pre- and poweramp is the effects loop)
This presupposes that none of the pedals are noisy and ruins the clean signal to created from the guitar.

So before buying a noisegate/surpressor you have to look into how it works and what you're after.

Having lots of pedals in front of the noisegate and put it in the chain before the poweramp is not ideal because then you've been adding effects to a dirty signal all along which doesn't work well for a good sound.
Bit if the preamp is noisy perhaps two noisegates could fo the job?

guitar->noicegate->effects->preamp->noisegate->effects->poweramp

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 9 2008, 04:38 PM
Learning Roadie
I have also found that the ns-2 works great to quiet down my hot rod deluxe which can be a really noisy amp. I do the same trick USAMAN does, I've never had enough cables on hand to also hook up the pedals through the ns-2s send/return to see if it can handle quieting the amp and pedals, but thats usually okay because if I'm using pedals I'm not going to be getting noise from the amp and I should be fine.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Mar 9 2008, 07:27 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 9 2008, 04:16 PM) *
The example above was for shutting a 5150 up which is known for hiss so the suggestion from USAMAN I take should be used for amps with noisy preamps. Not in general.

there are different kind of noice surpressors/gates to detect noice and kill all sound when the sound level is below a cut value or just to filter out the noise. A noisegate in the example above would render useless since the noise is added later in the chain.
The general idea of putting the noisegate first in the chain is to elimiate nose from the pickups and when the signal is clean send in the signal to the pedals.

Like:
guitar->gate->sound altering pedals->preamp->time altering pedals->poweramp

(between the pre- and poweramp is the effects loop)
This presupposes that none of the pedals are noisy and ruins the clean signal to created from the guitar.

So before buying a noisegate/surpressor you have to look into how it works and what you're after.

Having lots of pedals in front of the noisegate and put it in the chain before the poweramp is not ideal because then you've been adding effects to a dirty signal all along which doesn't work well for a good sound.
Bit if the preamp is noisy perhaps two noisegates could fo the job?

guitar->noicegate->effects->preamp->noisegate->effects->poweramp

This works for every amp with an effects loop. And it will make it silent. It does not suck tone at all. The only bad side is that you better have a good effects loop..some of those suck tone like mad. 5150 has a great, non tone sucking effects loop.

over and out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Mar 9 2008, 10:51 PM
Instructor
thats right .thanks for your advice

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Mar 10 2008, 03:02 AM
[quote name='PanicProne' date='Mar 9 2008, 02:59 PM' post='154527']

Line 6 Dm 4
Boss dd6
boss tu2
boss rv5
dunlop crybaby.

[/quote
I would do it this way
guitar to crybaby input...output from crybaby to ns-2 input......follow my hook up instructions from there. put the rest of the effects between the amp send and the pedal return. This should be silent and work great.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Mar 10 2008, 05:34 PM
thanks for the advice guys. How 'bout the tuner? I usually put it first after the guitar and that's the way it should be right?

This post has been edited by PanicProne: Mar 10 2008, 05:50 PM

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Mar 12 2008, 02:57 PM
yeah it does work... same setup i use.. without it ,the 5150 can hum pretty bad, ivd had it rumbles beers off the head haha

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Mar 13 2008, 06:02 PM
QUOTE (PanicProne @ Mar 10 2008, 05:34 PM) *
thanks for the advice guys. How 'bout the tuner? I usually put it first after the guitar and that's the way it should be right?

I have a loopmaster effects loop with tuner out so i use the looper dry out. I would try before the ns-2 and in the effects loop. see which sounds better/worse.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:57 AM