Warm-up
misha
Dec 17 2007, 06:13 PM
GMC:er
hi gmc,

is it really nessesary to do warm-up exercises before playing?
and if it's so what for should i do can you give me some examples
or better some exercises.... biggrin.gif

thanks

misha

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arrival
Dec 17 2007, 06:28 PM
Well, first and foremost, you should always give your fingers a bit of a stretch. Don't strain anything, just make sure your fingers feel loose and comfortable to play guitar. Second, make sure your hands aren't literally cold. This tightens up the muscles in you fingers and makes injury much more likely.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
misha
Dec 17 2007, 06:38 PM
ok thanks for those tips... have you or somebody else some warm up excersises to play ?????

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Dec 17 2007, 09:39 PM
QUOTE (misha @ Dec 17 2007, 06:13 PM) *
is it really nessesary to do warm-up exercises before playing?

Definately!

You risk injury if you don't. Seriously. mellow.gif

Scales played in patterns are great for warm-up - but you need to do it slow and relaxed, as Arrival said.

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 17 2007, 09:59 PM
Instructor
Usually i warm up by simply playing same exercises i practice for hours, but at lower speeds. So if i have for example an A phrygian scale, usually i practice it at 120BPM 6-tuplets, so a warm-up would be at 80 BPM 6-tuplets. It was just an example - i don't practice scales up and down, usually come up with exercises more interesting than just scales wink.gif

Also i don't pay too much attention to warm-up - it takes around 10 minutes of my practice session so i can't actually call it a warm-up biggrin.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Dec 17 2007, 10:11 PM
Yes!!! I highly recommend warming up!! I usually play fast riffs that use all my fretting hand fingers, I also find that massaging my hand helps me warm up faster.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 17 2007, 10:27 PM
Instructor
Man let me ask you a simple question. Do you warm up before you do some sport or running? DId it ever happende to you that you haven`t been warmed up very good and your legs or arms hurted when you did some phisical efffort? Yes my frined, you MUST warm up, because you practise your hand muscels every day if you havent noticed it. You are a sportsman on the gutar so to speak, and warming up just helps you to keep your muscels healthy. Now you CAN do your excersizes without warming up but you risk to have serious injuries and poor muscels when you get older. so....

Do some hromatic exercises every day at 60bpm for starters.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
shammy
Dec 18 2007, 12:30 AM
I like to do what pele' did on his feet. I dangle 5 pound weights from my fingertips for a couple minutes, then I return to shredding my face off!!!

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 18 2007, 12:49 AM
Well as everyone else has mentioned, warmup is very important to avoid injury, but also to have a productive practice.
I tend to switch between exercises for each hand very quiclkly (a few mins on each hand) so as to warm them up evenly and not strain one hand in warmup.
It usually takes 10-15 mins for me and I have some exercises that I made up.
For the left hand do some awkward chord stretches, legato and scalic stuff. For the right hand I do thrashy gallop stuff working my way up in speed from about 170bpm until I feel it straining a bit around 220-230bpm.

David

+Quote Post
Robin
Dec 18 2007, 02:44 AM
YES, warm up, always!!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 18 2007, 01:52 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
As everybody else says, yes warm up is a must! if your looking for a specific idea of a an exercise I`d recomend Pavels Ionian Speedpicking exercise , obviously not at top speed, starting very slowly, and working up to speed, I used this as (still do sometimes) as my warm up for quite a while, gets all the fingers working and gets your mind focused and concentrated.

I also do a little hand stretch exercise on my right hand to get me loosened up, I found THIS ONE a while back and find it quite good, I also do it when I get to work in the mornings, as I use the keyboard a lot during the day.

Hope that helps a little smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Dec 18 2007, 04:34 PM
Since I had some problems with my forearm is very important for me.
I usually use my any of my lighter grippers.. Captains of Crush Trainer for example and do like 20 reps or something. Not to 100% fatigue!
And then I lift a light dumbell with palm faced down. (For the extensors).. I light a lot of candles so it will be warmer where I practise then in the rest of the house. I wait 10 minutes and I will be pretty warm now when I recovered from the hand-training. Do some lighter guitarwork.. Play a song or something. Whatever I usually play/practice.. But slower... Until I feel ready.

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Dec 19 2007, 08:22 AM
Instructor
I use some warm-up exercices WITHOUT guitar. It's important not only to prevent injuries but also to play better, 'cos this exercices make your hands "in action" and prepare your fingers to a hard job.

I cannot explain this idea better, but believe me, those exercices work really good !!!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 19 2007, 09:51 AM
Lets go fishing!
Lots of great advice here. I always start of my practice routine with Improvisation to a backing track or drum beat. Typically I will use a pentaotnic scale here to match the key of the backing track.

I practice my phraseing and licks at a low bpm and more often than not come up with a pretty cool solo !! The point being, if you choose to warm up this way your not only warming up slowly to prevent injury but your being creative and practicinig tecnique at the same time.

I find this slow sort of warm up nessacary before i start speed picking and sweeping ! I used to go straight into this full speed and I ended up with alot of pain my fretting hand. Since warming up slowly I have had no problems whatsoever ! biggrin.gif

A little tip is that you can pick the backing track to any lesson here or on freelicks.net and practice your own improvisations too! smile.gif Or you can pick a set exercise and working through it slowly like the ones Pavel suggested, either is great depending on what styles you wish to practice.

All the best,

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:07 AM