Reverb Addiction?, Let's talk reverb!
thefireball
Dec 8 2015, 07:16 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm a reverb junkie - I have to be careful to dial it back or it can wash out the lead vocal or guitar solo.
So, is it just me - why does everything sound better with reverb?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 8 2015, 08:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
I'm also a reverb junkie smile.gif I can live without food but I can not live without reverb biggrin.gif

I don't like when a guitar tone sound dry. Is very annoying for my ears and even if the playing is amazing I can't listen the track. For me a tone without reverb it's like you walk on street without shoes wink.gif

Always a bit of reverb will wets your sound, smooths it out and will helps with the sustain. Definitely reverb it's a must for a guitar solo.
BUT....I think the key is to not cross the line and put too much reverb. Only using a good amount of reverb in tone the guitar solo will shine (of course with a decent playing....it's just a reverb, it will not make miracles in playing biggrin.gif ).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 8 2015, 09:29 AM
GMC:er
biggrin.gif

Its a sound engineering beginners thing too, many students tend to over do reverb although many pop hits todays don't even have any reverb. Was the king of fx on the 80's though, every hit from back then had beautiful lush reverb going on.

Speaking purely solo guitar though, you can mix or replace it with delay? a very fast repeating but longing delay can give that effect and feel good too, such delay settings will sound reverb-ish without mudding the sound. Also UK pop guitar sound owes a lot to delay too although it might sound like reverb. Trick is the darker sounding delay the better (repeats must have less high's) wink.gif

Here is a demo from Pete thorn on a re-issue vintage delay, he's not a shreding much but should give the idea;

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 8 2015, 09:37 AM
GMC Founder
Yes me too!

Reverb can hide your playing mistakes (to a certain extent) - and is therefore very tempting to use!

The problem is that it hides so many other things as well (your tone, other instruments in the backing track etc), therefor it is easy to ruin things with it.

However I have had some progress recently in using a fair amount of reverb BUT with:

* high pass filter around ~1000Hz (so no low frequencies that will kill the mix), NB this high pass filter is only on the reverb, not on your guitar track.

* Longer predelay times to make sure the reverb does not kill your attack and tone, ie around 100ms.

Here is an example of a tone with such settings: https://www.facebook.com/kristofer.dahl/vid...063307660350515

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 8 2015, 10:06 AM
Learning Tone Master
I always use both for my guitar solo tone: delay and reverb. I will explain why I do this (I hope you guys will understand what I want to say).

I don't like to use only reverb because for my own taste will make the sound to sound very crystal but totally unreal (it's like that heaven/angelic sound from cartoon biggrin.gif ). This will not be good in a real life playing if we don't have a special purpose. But... adding delay the things turns out in a good way. The tone becoming very present, has consistency and keep that wetness in sound. After many experiments I found the perfect proportion between delay and reverb for my tone to satisfied my ears. When I tried to use only one of them not matched with my taste wink.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Dec 8 2015, 10:07 AM

+Quote Post
ChrisGLP
Dec 8 2015, 10:09 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm also a reverb junkie... reverb makes the guitar sounds epic... smile.gif

Reverb is the reason why many people are singing in the bathroom, it sounds better then biggrin.gif

Kris said "Reverb can hide your playing mistakes"... ok I need a lot of reverb!!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 8 2015, 10:25 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (ChrisGLP @ Dec 8 2015, 11:09 AM) *
Reverb is the reason why many people are singing in the bathroom, it sounds better then biggrin.gif

Hehe I think you're onto something there *off showering* biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 8 2015, 01:49 PM
I'm a delay junkie.
But I like a bit of verb too.

Just ordered this ... https://robertkeeley.com/Caverns

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 8 2015, 03:10 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 8 2015, 02:49 PM) *

Looks nice, and Keeley seems to know what they are doing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 8 2015, 03:36 PM
I'm hopeful in that as a 2 in 1 pedal it free up some space for me. We'll see.

*Most of my solo vids utilize a fair amount of Reverb and Delay. I don't think it gets in the way but it's definitely 'featured'.
This one has one quick repeat but a long (plate) reverb ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJQvpKXrXS4

This post has been edited by klasaine: Dec 8 2015, 05:55 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 8 2015, 03:52 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 8 2015, 04:36 PM) *
I'm hopeful in that as a 2 in 1 pedal it free up some space for me. Will see.

*Most of my solo vids utilize a fair amount of Reverb and Delay. I don't think it gets in the way but it's definitely 'featured'.
This one has one quick repeat but a long (plate) reverb ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJQvpKXrXS4

Yes this is a great example of nice settings to me. Also with this kind of solo recording I would want the time based effect to be a more integral part of of the tone.

The opposite would be true for a lead guitar sound in a busy metal mix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 8 2015, 05:55 PM
As Mertay said ... you want the repeats to be darker, especially for 'lead'.
With arpeggiated chords clean and clear (digital) delay repeats can sound cool when they remain brighter.
Also having those repeats off to one side (in a recording) really helps.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 8 2015, 08:15 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 8 2015, 12:49 PM) *
I'm a delay junkie.
But I like a bit of verb too.

SWEET! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mihai Sorohan
Dec 15 2015, 11:07 PM
I like spring reverb on guitar but for a while I was struggling to get a decent sounding reverb on my trumpet (I'm a trumpet player, guitar is just a hobby). Recently a friend (really good saxophone player and composer) discovered that plate reverb works best on brass.

Anyway, one tip stolen from Dave Pensado: try using a musical time value as your pre-delay (a 16th can work very well). If your reverb has host sync, then it's easy to do, if not, there is a free delay calculator.
The new Reverberate has a good Bricasti impulse library, you might want to check that out.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 15 2015, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (Mihai Sorohan @ Dec 15 2015, 10:07 PM) *
I like spring reverb on guitar but for a while I was struggling to get a decent sounding reverb on my trumpet (I'm a trumpet player, guitar is just a hobby). Recently a friend (really good saxophone player and composer) discovered that plate reverb works best on brass.

Anyway, one tip stolen from Dave Pensado: try using a musical time value as your pre-delay (a 16th can work very well). If your reverb has host sync, then it's easy to do, if not, there is a free delay calculator.
The new Reverberate has a good Bricasti impulse library, you might want to check that out.

I immediatly thought plate while reading your first sentance smile.gif

Plate actually works well with pretty much everything, plug-in were a bit late at the time to deliver a good plate compared to hall but that has changed and it sound cool with guitar too.

I abandoned ir reverbs a long time ago cause though they sound amazing on solo instruments, they can really dull a mix though keep in mind I mixed/recorded a bit of everything but mainly rock-pop stuff. I think they solved that issue with hybrid reverbs where the tail is algorithmic but I never got into that and always prefered to used algo reverbs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 16 2015, 12:15 AM
I really dig "room tone" reverb. Also, I like to add a very short delay of around 80-100 ms to guitar tone for a slight doubling effect. It helps solos stand out in a mix if done right smile.gif It's an old trick that wads of metal guys in the 80's used on tons of early thrash/death metal records. You hear it now in the "Thrash Revival" movement which seems to be coming from Scandinavia mostly smile.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 8 2015, 02:16 AM) *
I'm a reverb junkie - I have to be careful to dial it back or it can wash out the lead vocal or guitar solo.
So, is it just me - why does everything sound better with reverb?

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Dec 16 2015, 03:38 AM
For metal rhythm, I really don't like much, if any reverb. I feel it takes away some of the punch.

But of course, in one of my favorite genres of music, Surf rock, over saturated spring reverb is essential. The songs will not work without it.

Dick Dale is famous for his very wet sound. He uses a Fender Reverb tank that is separate from his amp. I have seen him live a couple of times, and he is the loudest and most powerful guitarist I have ever seen live.

Don't mind the stupid video added to this song laugh.gif

This Argentinian band uses two guitars completely saturated with reverb, yet every note is incredibly clear. A big part of this is due to the use of single coils. They got the clarity and "twang" that you really can't get from humbuckers. Single coil twang and reverb go hand in hand. This is why its so great plugging a Fender guitar into a Fender amp. The big bottom end on Fender amps combined with the lush reverb sounds HUGE.

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Dec 16 2015, 03:42 AM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 16 2015, 07:25 AM
Learning Roadie
I add an overall reverb inside my Ozone 5 mastering plugin. Helps glue the whole mix together.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2015, 05:41 AM
A pinch of "mastering reverb" can go a long way smile.gif Ozone replaces a rack full gear that folks used to put on the master bus to "glue" the mix together. Killer tool smile.gif I have not used the newest version yet, but it looks wild. Seems to get more complex with each release.

QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 16 2015, 02:25 AM) *
I add an overall reverb inside my Ozone 5 mastering plugin. Helps glue the whole mix together.

+Quote Post
ChrisGLP
Dec 18 2015, 04:17 PM
Hi Todd... what are the Parameters "Decay" and "PRE Delay" at the reverb Settings?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:20 PM