Semi-newb With Cash To Burn, $4000
Chief Brody
Apr 9 2008, 07:39 AM
GMC:er
Yes indeed, yet another "help me decide what to buy" topic!

I hope you more knowledgeable folks will help me out.

Anyhoo, i've got $4000 to burn and primarily i'm interested in putting that towards a new guitar but i'm also willing to throw some of that money towards amp/effects if required.

I'll try to be as informative as possible as to what direction leaning towards. I'm here for guidance and ideas as i understand that ultimately i'm going to need to go out and get a feel for any potential buys first hand (all i lack is direction! unsure.gif ).

I started playing only a few months ago but thanks to GMC and a pretty rigid scehdule i'm progressing nicely. Unfortunately i'm not completely happy with the guitar i have. I was vastly inexperienced and relied on one of the store guys in aiding my purchase and for the price range i was looking for he pointed me in the direction of a Fender Jaguar.

Now i like the guitar don't get me wrong, but i feel i was misguided as i find it to be (IMO) not very newbie friendly as it's rather fiddly. I like playing it but it feels more like an interesting piece for the occassional play and not really what i want in my "primary" guitar.

So after a bit of saving, i'm ready to splash some more cash and set things right.

Here's the situation:

Music style(s) i like and want to play

I'm interested primarily in All forms of Rock, Blues and a little bit of Funk. I'm into metal too but nothing too extreme, just the standard stuff - which is to say shredding isn't really a style i'm going to play and i'm not going to be doing any neoclassical craziness (although i am interested in using exercises/techniques from that genre to improve my overall playing ability).

I'd ideally like a guitar that would be able to handle anything from Tool to John Mayer and everything inbetween, if possible.

Guitars

I really dig Les Pauls, SG's and Stratocasters but i'm open to other quality names too and i'm willing to admit that whilst i want a guitar that sounds great (for the music i wanna play) - i also want some that looks great too.

Examples of guitars i love the look of include SG Diablo's, SG/Les Paul Robot (and that crazy HD.6-X Pro Digital), Les Paul Studio, Pretty much any Stratocaster.

I'm open to all suggestions on this front.

Maintenance/Reliability

Obviously i'm more than willing to get my hands dirty and make some adjustments if need be, i'd really prefer a guitar that is set-up well from the start and won't require me to replace things (other than perhaps the strings). Somethings that's hardy and can take care of itself, although obviously i'm gonna take very good care of it - i'm not exactly gonna be throwing it off any bridges and hoping it still plays well laugh.gif

Misc

I play for personal satisfaction and like nothing more than being able to belt out some great licks and play songs that i initially didn't have a clue how to play. I do like a good bit of volume (as i have no neighbours at all wink.gif ) but i'm not gonna be doing any gigging and if i do play for people it would only be small scale. Obviously i'd like something that complements the quality of the guitar and can help acheive the sounds i want so once again i'm very open to suggestions on this front (same goes for effects and such).

Phew, I know that's a lot to wade through but i'd rather give you lots of info because my next purchase is going to be the guitar that takes me from eager novice to all the levels above that (of which there are quite a lot!).

I appreciate any and all suggestions and guidance that you all can offer me!

Chief B.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Chief Brody   Semi-newb With Cash To Burn   Apr 9 2008, 07:39 AM
- - MickeM   If you really want to spend I could only recommend...   Apr 9 2008, 08:37 AM
|- - UMPHREAK   QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 9 2008, 03:37 AM) If ...   Apr 9 2008, 08:57 AM
nnn
- - Gus   Hey, with that money and motivation you should def...   Apr 9 2008, 08:58 AM
- - botoxfox   You live in Japan right? Then perhaps you could ch...   Apr 9 2008, 09:27 AM
|- - Chief Brody   Thanks for your advice so far everyone, it's r...   Apr 9 2008, 09:32 AM
nnn
- - Gus   I would definitely test a J-custom if I had the ch...   Apr 9 2008, 02:48 PM
- - OrganisedConfusion   If it was me I'd get another Caparison guitar....   Apr 9 2008, 03:06 PM
- - Nobody   Wooow wow wow! OrganisedConfusion, you just ca...   Apr 9 2008, 03:22 PM
- - PolackHax0r   I agree with Hristian. To say the Gibson LP is a ...   Apr 9 2008, 03:37 PM
- - OrganisedConfusion   They were just my opinions yes but I also said it...   Apr 9 2008, 03:43 PM
- - PolackHax0r   yeah, I def. agree too. Go try out every guitar y...   Apr 9 2008, 03:50 PM
|- - OrganisedConfusion   QUOTE (PolackHax0r @ Apr 9 2008, 03:50 PM...   Apr 9 2008, 06:00 PM
|- - PolackHax0r   QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 9 2008, 01...   Apr 9 2008, 06:19 PM
nnn
nnn
- - rokchik   I'm no expert here but I think PRS, an America...   Apr 9 2008, 06:01 PM
- - Unleash-The-Shred   Try out some PRS' they are amazing.   Apr 9 2008, 06:07 PM
- - Milenkovic Ivan   wow, 4000$ congratulations man. now let...   Apr 9 2008, 09:37 PM
- - kevin-riff-after-riff   you should get one of those Vai Legacy amps if you...   Apr 9 2008, 10:00 PM
- - Bogdan   Definitely with PRS and Fender Strat you can't...   Apr 10 2008, 01:03 AM
- - Chief Brody   Wow, i went to sleep and then when i returned i ha...   Apr 10 2008, 02:12 AM
- - uberIbanez   you should def. go with a PRS, they are amazing   Apr 10 2008, 02:19 AM
- - Marshmall0wz   Hmmmm. I'd definitely check out a.... FENDER A...   Apr 10 2008, 02:54 AM
- - Unleash-The-Shred   I still need to get a PRS myself.   Apr 10 2008, 03:14 AM
- - Chief Brody   It's only 11:40am here and i'm absolutely ...   Apr 10 2008, 03:41 AM
- - rokchik   Congrats Chief PRS are very nice guitars. Lookin...   Apr 10 2008, 01:58 PM
- - Milenkovic Ivan   Well, congratulations man, wish you all the best w...   Apr 10 2008, 07:27 PM
- - Hisham   i think and suggest a showmaster stratocaster this...   Apr 10 2008, 09:44 PM
- - Fran   Congrats on the new guitar!, was a nice story ...   Apr 10 2008, 09:51 PM
- - Chief Brody   Yeah unfortunately i hardly had any chance to play...   Apr 11 2008, 04:47 AM
- - stratman33   I would say probably a PRS or maybe an LP or somet...   Apr 13 2008, 11:22 PM
- - Bogdan Radovic   Wow congrats man!! You did the right thing...   Apr 13 2008, 11:40 PM
- - Chief Brody   Well unfortunately i've been absolutely swampe...   Apr 15 2008, 04:04 AM
- - Smikey2006   ....................... SCHECTER...   Apr 15 2008, 11:48 AM
- - Chief Brody   Well here are some of those pics i promised. I...   Apr 15 2008, 12:59 PM
- - Fran   Wow, that's a beautiful guitar indeed   Apr 15 2008, 02:48 PM
- - rokchik   Simply gorgeous Congrats again man. rok   Apr 15 2008, 09:46 PM
- - Marcus Siepen   beautiful guitar, and you did the right thing, you...   Apr 15 2008, 09:53 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:59 AM