> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

K1r's Path To Improvising
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 20 2012, 12:11 PM
Instructor
Hello K-man! It actually sounds like that mean south american croc - the caiman biggrin.gif

So tell me a bit of a history about yourself so we can start, k? What do you know about improvising so far and what theory knowledge do you have?

Let's rock!

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
K1R
Dec 20 2012, 02:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello C-man! biggrin.gif

Well, I've been playing since i was about 9 and the progress in my playing went smoothly all the time untill I decided to play jazz biggrin.gif
Now I feel like I've been trampling the same spot for quite a long time. I know standard major and minor scales and pentatonics. I've recently learnt modes, not perfectly though smile.gif I also know arpeggios and half-whole scale, but not perfectly as well..

I think the real problem for me is jazz phrasing. I don't really know which scale/mode should I play over which progression/chord, though I know that every mode has its step in a scale (I-Ionian, II-Dorian, III-Phrygian etc...) . It is hard for me to play over fast harmony changes. When a harmony is easy for me, I can improvise over it, but I get bored of my own improvisation, as it doesn't seem to be interesting. dry.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitar Altamira M01D, Samick Royale 3, Musima Lead Star 1
Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

YouTube | Facebook | Last.fm
“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 21 2012, 05:08 PM
Instructor
Hey K, I was thinking smile.gif Can you record yourself improvising over a backing track of your choice? I would be curious to hear you play and phrase.

Do we have a deal?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
K1R
Dec 21 2012, 09:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 21 2012, 06:08 PM) *
Hey K, I was thinking smile.gif Can you record yourself improvising over a backing track of your choice? I would be curious to hear you play and phrase.

Do we have a deal?

Cosmin

Okay. The recording will be here tomorrow! smile.gif

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 22 2012, 02:38 PM
Instructor
Great K! Let's see what you got for me! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
K1R
Dec 22 2012, 05:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
https://soundcloud.com/user875248364/bluebossaimpro
Hello C! smile.gif
Here it is. I chose Blue Bossa backing track, but this one was more modern that traditional bossa. What I've noticed myself is that I should change the pace more often.
Looking forward for your comments biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by K1R: Dec 22 2012, 05:52 PM

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 24 2012, 09:59 AM
Instructor
Hello K! Wow, man, I have to admit, since I last listened to your playing, you have improved A BIG, BIG LOT! Congratulations to you biggrin.gif

Indeed, it's a bit linear but it has coherence, direction and flow, good timing and roundness, which are very important. I have one question regarding what you have recorded - have you played what you have heard in your head? Or did you take the time to analyze the chord progression and see what you could come up with in steps smile.gif Describe the creation process a bit please biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
K1R
Dec 24 2012, 12:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 24 2012, 10:59 AM) *
Hello K! Wow, man, I have to admit, since I last listened to your playing, you have improved A BIG, BIG LOT! Congratulations to you biggrin.gif

Indeed, it's a bit linear but it has coherence, direction and flow, good timing and roundness, which are very important. I have one question regarding what you have recorded - have you played what you have heard in your head? Or did you take the time to analyze the chord progression and see what you could come up with in steps smile.gif Describe the creation process a bit please biggrin.gif

Cosmin

Hello C! Thank a lot! biggrin.gif

Well, mostly I tried to improvise playing what I heard in my head, but sometimes I also tried to think about what to play, like playing half-whole scale on G7, AbMaj7 arpeggio over Fm7 as they are parallel and switching to C locrian (or is it just Db major scale?) from the 9th till the 12th bar (Ebm7-Ab7-Dbmaj7-Dbmaj7) as theese chords are from Db major scale (II-V-I) smile.gif Also, there is a moment when I played pentatonics because i thought it would be good for making some kind of climax in the solo smile.gif

This post has been edited by K1R: Dec 24 2012, 12:05 PM

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 26 2012, 10:13 AM
Instructor
Hehe, it's just as I thought smile.gif This is a good approach as it combines knowledge with feeling things, which usually conducts to great results. I have an idea smile.gif What if we would approach this in the following way: I give you a theme and you have to strive to get as close to emulating that feeling by using whatever means you like.

For instance, I would like you to build a short chord progression - 3 chords and make me think about the rain smile.gif In order to come up with this, we need to find the suitable chords, the suitable scales, the right interpretation and the way in which the lines are built so that they may create the right atmosphere. It might be tricky but it can prove to be the ultimate tool for releasing self expression through improvisation smile.gif

How does this sound?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
K1R
Dec 26 2012, 02:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 26 2012, 11:13 AM) *
Hehe, it's just as I thought smile.gif This is a good approach as it combines knowledge with feeling things, which usually conducts to great results. I have an idea smile.gif What if we would approach this in the following way: I give you a theme and you have to strive to get as close to emulating that feeling by using whatever means you like.

For instance, I would like you to build a short chord progression - 3 chords and make me think about the rain smile.gif In order to come up with this, we need to find the suitable chords, the suitable scales, the right interpretation and the way in which the lines are built so that they may create the right atmosphere. It might be tricky but it can prove to be the ultimate tool for releasing self expression through improvisation smile.gif

How does this sound?

Cosmin

Hello! Sounds like a great idea! Shall I already start with the rain? smile.gif
Well, I've always associated minor add9 chords with rain and major add9 chords with dawn smile.gif So I think the chord progression should be based on a minor add9 chord.
Maybe something like Cadd9|Amadd9|Fadd9|Amadd9?
It sounds kinda like cheerful or, a more suitable word - bright sorrow smile.gif
What do you think?

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 27 2012, 08:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (K1R @ Dec 26 2012, 01:05 PM) *
Hello! Sounds like a great idea! Shall I already start with the rain? smile.gif
Well, I've always associated minor add9 chords with rain and major add9 chords with dawn smile.gif So I think the chord progression should be based on a minor add9 chord.
Maybe something like Cadd9|Amadd9|Fadd9|Amadd9?
It sounds kinda like cheerful or, a more suitable word - bright sorrow smile.gif
What do you think?

I think this sounds like a plan wink.gif and yes, let's start with the rain idea first biggrin.gif Don't forget to think about all the aspects of rain - maybe a storm? A calm rain, big drops, small drops, cold weather, summer rain... A lot of things you can use biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
K1R
Dec 28 2012, 04:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
One question: are there any scales I can play over this progression except for Am scale?

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 28 2012, 10:03 PM
Instructor
Well, one approach you could try would be to allow each chord to extend over a bar or two and use the C Ionian mode over the Cadd9, the Amadd9 could go well with the A Aeolian, A Harmonic minor or A Dorian, Fadd9 could work with the F Lydian smile.gif The idea here is to have enough time to use the modes over each chord smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:06 AM