8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Misterm's Bootcamp, Prepare to walk knee deep in blood of your enemy!!!
Todd Simpson
Oct 20 2021, 06:57 AM
GMC:er
Awesome!! You nailed it. The whole point of these missions is to teach your hands some licks that can be used when playing solos. It's all about playing actual music. You did a great job of it. Your technique is very solid and your soloing is emotive and expressive. Very well done! to wit!!

CONGRATS! you just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (MisterM @ Oct 19 2021, 09:59 AM) *
Hi Sarge

I'm back with mission 32
I’ve incorporated 2 licks into a solo, I hope that will suit you.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Oct 20 2021, 10:40 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Thank you Sarge.
yesterday I felt good to create smile.gif

Here 3 news missions.
I didn't want to play too fast.
The part with the open string makes it difficult to synchronize in time.
I preferred to play slowly to be tight in time.

Tell me if I need to start over faster.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MisterM: Oct 20 2021, 10:42 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 21 2021, 08:59 AM
Super impressive work here Soldier!! You krushed it here. Your technique is spot on. Strike once hammer many is right up your alley. The last one is tricky and you nailed it as well. Your not rushing or lagging, your keeping a solid mute, and your playing is smooth and even. I'm seriously impressed. To wit!!

Congrats Soldier! You just..

LEVLED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (MisterM @ Oct 20 2021, 05:40 AM) *
Thank you Sarge.
yesterday I felt good to create smile.gif

Here 3 news missions.
I didn't want to play too fast.
The part with the open string makes it difficult to synchronize in time.
I preferred to play slowly to be tight in time.

Tell me if I need to start over faster.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 21 2021, 08:59 AM

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Oct 22 2021, 05:33 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Sarge

Thank you very much. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Nov 19 2021, 07:46 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Sarge

Presently, no time for bootcamp. I ll be back later

Since few days, I work The final Countdown Solo with third harmonizing
I hope make a good cover in a futur.

What do you think about my work ?
Excuse me for sound. I didn't record with worksatation DAW. This one is just cam Rec

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2021, 12:17 AM
The subtle use of vibrato is for me the most impressive thing. Your control over the passage near the very end is quite impressive in deed. There is a bend and final vibrato that so many people just somehow miss entirely when i see versions of this solo on youtube. most folks can do the 2 string triad style sweeps it seems, but really struggle with the phrasing near the end. You nailed the entire thing. Nice!

QUOTE (MisterM @ Nov 19 2021, 02:46 PM) *
Hi Sarge

Presently, no time for bootcamp. I ll be back later

Since few days, I work The final Countdown Solo with third harmonizing
I hope make a good cover in a futur.

What do you think about my work ?
Excuse me for sound. I didn't record with worksatation DAW. This one is just cam Rec

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Mar 16 2022, 07:36 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Todd.

I'm sorry for not following your bootcamp anymore.
Right now I don't have much time to play. I devote myself to the lessons. I still practice exercises every day.

I learn a new neoclassical lesson, it's quite hard. You know my difficulties in gaining speed.
I remain confident, but the gain in BPM will be more and more difficult.

REC 1 : 70 BPM (Day 2)
Spoiler:

REC 2 : 100 BPM (Day 15)
Spoiler:

REC 3 : 110 BPM (Day 36)

This post has been edited by MisterM: Mar 16 2022, 07:38 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2022, 07:06 AM
No worries Soldier!! Bootcamp is here to help folks get better. You can use whatever you like, whether it's Missions or REC or really anything!! It looks like you have put a lot of work in on these!! Your technique is spot on IMHO. Great timing, picking, fretting, it's all there. It almost sounds like some bits from various bootcamp licks in parts! I think this is ready for REC! Shoot me a link when you post it!!

Sarge

[quote name='MisterM' date='Mar 16 2022, 02:36 AM' post='797334']
Hi Todd.

I'm sorry for not following your bootcamp anymore.
Right now I don't have much time to play. I devote myself to the lessons. I still practice exercises every day.

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Mar 17 2022, 07:16 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Todd

Thank you for feedback.
Target 130 bpm.
Yesterday work on 120 BPM. It's won but very hard to stay focused.
130 BPM will not be reached before 1 or 2 months I think

Have a nice day.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 18 2022, 02:14 AM
I'm sure you can hit 130 and more. Once thing to keep in mind, I notice your palm mute is light on the high strings and using your fret hand to make up for it. For this piece it works just fine. If there was a lot of open string licks, it would not work quite as well. If possible, try to spread your hand a bit over the bridge to cover all of the strings. It's not easy but it can have great benefits smile.gif

QUOTE (MisterM @ Mar 17 2022, 02:16 AM) *
Hi Todd

Thank you for feedback.
Target 130 bpm.
Yesterday work on 120 BPM. It's won but very hard to stay focused.
130 BPM will not be reached before 1 or 2 months I think

Have a nice day.

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Mar 21 2022, 10:31 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Sarge,

Ok thank you for feedback
I should try to do that.

have a nice day

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Mar 25 2022, 10:19 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Todd

120 BPM (Day 46)
It becomes more and more difficult.
I do exercises at 120 in warm-up. For the rest, I would increase the speed 124 127 and 130 bpm.
My muting is better ?

This post has been edited by MisterM: Mar 25 2022, 10:19 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 26 2022, 03:15 AM
Your playing gets better each time i see it!! This is coming along very nicely. I think your muting has improved as well! I see you are using more of your palm to cover more of the bridge. One thing I would say to try just as a way to gain insight in to your playing is going to sound very odd. take your fretting hand off the neck for the duration of this piece. This means just open strings. You can mute the strings with sock or something if you like just to deaden the sound. Then play the entire piece using just your picking hand. As you play, focus your eyes on your picking hand. This is a 'Division Drill" where you are dividing your hands. In this part of the drill, you are just looking at your picking hand. The fretting hand is not even touching the guitar.

This is harder than it may sound. Without the fretting hand to guide the picking hand, some players just get entirely lost as to what they are playing and what string is next. If this happens to you, it's perfectly normal. Especially at first. it may take a few times through just to play a few bars. Its ok if you just make it a few bars in to the piece.

The point of this drill is to focus entirely on your picking hand. Watch for

1.)Is my picking hand centered on the bridge as I play or is it drifting up and down depending on what string I'm going to strike?

2.)Am I covering the entire bridge with my palm mute? Or are the high strings uncovered at some points?

3.)What is my pick angle like? Is it changing without my having realized it?

4.)Are my transitions between strings as smooth as I want?

It's a way to isolate issues with your picking hand. Don't spend more than 10 minutes or so on this. It should be just a quick test of your picking hand. It's a handy test for any piece you are working on to find out if your picking hand is doing what you want it to do smile.gif

Let me know what you think!

Todd

QUOTE (MisterM @ Mar 25 2022, 05:19 AM) *
Hi Todd

120 BPM (Day 46)
It becomes more and more difficult.
I do exercises at 120 in warm-up. For the rest, I would increase the speed 124 127 and 130 bpm.
My muting is better ?

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Apr 4 2022, 04:04 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Todd

Thank you very much for the time you give me.
Gab also gave me advice on precision.
Hard to keep focus on these details......

I tried play with right hand only... it's very hard... it's not for me biggrin.gif ...
At present, I need confidence, I keep focus on things that I can play I hope that you undestand.

My reference is "RUSTIX take" - He is not very smiling tongue.gif .... but his right hand is incredible. Perfect playing !!!
10 years I play a new. I 'm 51 years old, I accept my bad technic, I would never be a shredder.
Improve it need more and more time and work.

Nevertheless I'm proud of me. I reached the goal of 130 BPM.
As often I start without asking myself any questions. Maybe I'll won maybe I'll lose.
It's a new victory for me. I still work 10 days but it will be difficult to do better.

This post has been edited by MisterM: Apr 4 2022, 04:11 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 4 2022, 11:29 PM
Impressive work!! You improve with every video. Don't worry about the right hand only drill. It's just a drill to help focus on the right hand. It's quite difficult and if it's not helping, then it's not worth it. Keep it in mind for later on if you get stuck on a picking sequence, it can help sort the right hand.

Your finger/fret control is increasing as is your precision. I think id say you are a shredder right now after watching this video smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (MisterM @ Apr 4 2022, 11:04 AM) *
Hi Todd

Thank you very much for the time you give me.
Gab also gave me advice on precision.
Hard to keep focus on these details......

I tried play with right hand only... it's very hard... it's not for me biggrin.gif ...
At present, I need confidence, I keep focus on things that I can play I hope that you undestand.

My reference is "RUSTIX take" - He is not very smiling tongue.gif .... but his right hand is incredible. Perfect playing !!!
10 years I play a new. I 'm 51 years old, I accept my bad technic, I would never be a shredder.
Improve it need more and more time and work.

Nevertheless I'm proud of me. I reached the goal of 130 BPM.
As often I start without asking myself any questions. Maybe I'll won maybe I'll lose.
It's a new victory for me. I still work 10 days but it will be difficult to do better.

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Apr 10 2022, 06:35 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Sarge

I can't make better.
One week that I try to improve but it's more speed for me.
It's a race against time.
My natural speed for this lesson with no warm-up is 70/80.
I need Warm up 40 mn to can play 130 BPM. mad.gif

I 'll need submit on REC Section.
What do you think about this rec ?

This post has been edited by MisterM: Apr 10 2022, 06:38 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 10 2022, 11:29 PM
I start hearing some issues around 7 seconds in to the vid. Your fretting fingers are searching for the landing and it's quite tricky to make adjustments at this speed. You are doing a great job on a very very tricky piece of music imho.

Your fret hand position is a bit compromised from the simple fact that you have trained your body to play "side saddle" instead of using classical position. As this is a based on a classsical style of play, the hand arch provided by the angle created by sitting in classical position gives a natural advantage. however, if you switched, it would take a bit of time to get used to it and take advantage of the natural angle of play. For now, side saddle is just getting in your way imho sad.gif

Related to that, the angle of the neck is to low imho which is also compromising your fret hand. if you raise the angle of the neck up a bit, it will allow your fret hand to find a more natural position. This is usually done by placing the left foot on a classical foot rest which allows the most efficient angle possible for the neck and thus for the fretting hand. There is a reason that classical players hold the instrument the way that they do. For most playing, any position is ok. For playing at or near the limits of one's ability, especially if playing something semi classical or neoclassical, the physical advantage of classical position with a elevated foot rest is hard to beat.

Also, please remind me again of what type of pick you are using? Something as small as pick choice can have a huge impact on a piece like this.

In addition, have we ever talked about practicing very tricky passages using the thumbless technique? Is resets the pressure on the fingers allowing much quicker response since they are freed from the fulcrum created by the thumb. I'm not suggesting recording in this manner. Just using it to practice fast bits to find out the minimum finger pressure required. Then put the thumb back in.

I started out playing side saddle myself. I hit the same speed barrier. I had to make some adjustments and I came up with thumbless technique out of necessity. in the end it all came together to help me break through.

QUOTE (MisterM @ Apr 10 2022, 01:35 PM) *
Hi Sarge

I can't make better.
One week that I try to improve but it's more speed for me.
It's a race against time.
My natural speed for this lesson with no warm-up is 70/80.
I need Warm up 40 mn to can play 130 BPM. mad.gif

I 'll need submit on REC Section.
What do you think about this rec ?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 11 2022, 01:28 AM

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Apr 11 2022, 09:19 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi sarge

I am aware of all these obstacles. It's very hard to correct them.
A week ago, this lesson seemed easier to me. I had time to work twice a day.
In recent days I have had less time and I admit I have lost confidence.
130BPM stresses me out, last week I was more relaxed. I will do 2 workouts a day.

I have already practiced exercises without the thumb, I will try again.
The angle of the guitar is comfortable for me, I don't really calculate its position, it is however higher than my usual position.

My picks are these /

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 12 2022, 04:24 AM
The pick is something much easier to change. Thick picks with no flex are ideal for this type of work and you have chosen well for this smile.gif The one problem I see is that neither pick has a beveled edge nor a sharp point. For most playing, these would be more than fine. For pushing the boundaries near the limits, I think you can get a lot of benefit from a beveled edge and a sharp pointy tip on your pick. this makes traversing strings easier and reduces recovery time between pick strikes.

Pretty much any pick with a beveled edge and pointy tip, made of hard material, 1.0 mm or thicker will do the trick. If there is a music store near you, you can grab some there. If you need to order online, you have tons of options.

I'm a fan of the Vpick switchblade and the mathias guitars impaler among others. The bevel on the edge of these picks is what makes them so great. Without a bevel on the edge, you lose a bit of speed when changing strings. The sharp point is the last bit that comes in to play and it's a game changer imho.

Changing your playing position is a much bigger change. Probably way to much to do on short notice. But getting a new pick is very doable smile.gif

This is one of the threads on picks we did a bit back with links, pix etc.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=62191

just for reference, her is a picture of a beveled edge pick with a pointy tip. it's the vpick black hole which is a switchblade with a hole in it for grip.

Attached Image

QUOTE (MisterM @ Apr 11 2022, 04:19 AM) *
Hi sarge

I am aware of all these obstacles. It's very hard to correct them.
A week ago, this lesson seemed easier to me. I had time to work twice a day.
In recent days I have had less time and I admit I have lost confidence.
130BPM stresses me out, last week I was more relaxed. I will do 2 workouts a day.

I have already practiced exercises without the thumb, I will try again.
The angle of the guitar is comfortable for me, I don't really calculate its position, it is however higher than my usual position.

My picks are these /

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 12 2022, 04:27 AM

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Apr 12 2022, 05:10 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Sarge.

Thank you for advices.
I ordered 6 "ernie ball prodigy".
I will make a feedback.

Have a nice day.

This post has been edited by MisterM: Apr 12 2022, 05:11 AM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:33 PM