Apple, as in Mac
MickeM
Mar 13 2008, 01:35 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
What would you suggest for a music computer. No PC, which Mac model? Would a mini do or iMac or do one have to take the step up to a Power Mac?

Two cores in the minimum I guess?

If you can suggest model and how much RAM is needed.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Nick Kellie
Mar 13 2008, 01:48 PM
Instructor
well I use apple stuff... I have a macbook and a new imac (silver one)
You cant really go wrong with any of the new stuff they are selling - ultra stable, no viruses and really fast.
Can't say enough good words about them really. I have Logic on both and it runs a dream.

i hear good things about the mac mini - they are a good price too... but the big shiny screen on the imac is incredible!
I suggest going for a large hard-drive and extra memory... but you can buy that someplace else because apple overcharge on the memory.

Nick

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Nick Kellie: Mar 13 2008, 01:50 PM

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 13 2008, 01:51 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Mac Mini
Reason 2.5
Garageband
M-box with pro-tools lite
Shure sm57 - 58 mic
and two event or KRK monitors

That should do it smile.gif

Ofcourse with a powermac you could process stuff faster, loading of VST and effects and stuff..
But a mini should be enough really, but a wise choice would be to upgrade the RAM to 2 gb smile.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 13 2008, 01:52 PM
QUOTE (Nick Kellie @ Mar 13 2008, 01:48 PM) *
You cant really go wrong with any of the new stuff they are selling - ultra stable, no viruses and really fast.
Can't say enough good words about them really. I have Logic on both and it runs a dream.

i hear good things about the mac mini - they are a good price too... but the big shiny screen on the imac is incredible!
I suggest going for a large hard-drive and extra memory... but you can buy that someplace else because apple overcharge on the memory.

Nick

Yes, upgrade the RAM (Memory) yourself. Apple, as Nick pointed out, is overpricing sad.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 13 2008, 02:42 PM
QUOTE (Nick Kellie @ Mar 13 2008, 01:48 PM) *

Nick

I guess iMac is still within my price range. But I could add a LCD screen to the mini? As for memory how much can the mini and iMac have, or should have for music production actually.
And I would be ablew to plug in an extrenal USB harddrive, right? I'm completely new on Mac. I have five external drives so that part should not be a problem biggrin.gif

So even the mini could be added with extra memory, plug in an external Firewire sound card, add a USB harddrive, right?

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 13 2008, 02:44 PM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Mar 13 2008, 01:51 PM) *
Mac Mini
Reason 2.5
Garageband
M-box with pro-tools lite
Shure sm57 - 58 mic
and two event or KRK monitors

That should do it smile.gif

Ofcourse with a powermac you could process stuff faster, loading of VST and effects and stuff..
But a mini should be enough really, but a wise choice would be to upgrade the RAM to 2 gb smile.gif

2 GB alright, nor from Apple wink.gif

And two monitors, heh, I'm not that professional yet tongue.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 13 2008, 02:51 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 13 2008, 02:44 PM) *
2 GB alright, nor from Apple wink.gif

And two monitors, heh, I'm not that professional yet tongue.gif

Two monitors as in speakers, you want stereo and to pan your recordings you know smile.gif
No need for two displays smile.gif

And yeah, they're only upgradable up to 2 gb.. But that should be sufficient!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 13 2008, 03:13 PM
GMC:er
I really want an Apple computer so thanks for bringing this topic up smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 13 2008, 04:30 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well good processor and 2gb of ram is a must here..Also see does it have enough usb inputs and firewire ones to suit your needs...And check out if recording software you are going to use work with mac...You need a large hard drive just to make sure you always have space for recordings and various software..External one should work too.. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Patrik Jezierski
Mar 13 2008, 09:14 PM
Im Producing music on a 2.0 Ghz Macbook, with 2 gb ram. I'm using Logic 8 and it works fine. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 14 2008, 11:58 AM
Instructor
minimum of 2Ghz and 2 GB Ram is needed on any platform. I would recommend Mac Pro platform.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Hauke_Z
Mar 14 2008, 01:43 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but I got a question for the other Mac-Users

I use a PowerMac G5 (dual 2 Ghz) with 2,5 GB RAM an Garageband. The Guitar is plugged in through an USB-Preamp. I often get a delay using Garageband, even if no other programs are running. Does anyone have an idea how to stop it? The only way I know so far is a restart mad.gif

--------------------
"Rock's so good to me. Rock is my child and my grandfather. "
- Chuck Berry

Ibanez GSA60 "Gio"
M-Audio Fasttrack USB
Apple Garageband
Logic Express 7.2

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 14 2008, 01:44 PM
GMC Founder
Yes I am also interested in getting a mac - too bad they are so pricey! sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 14 2008, 01:46 PM
I get 12% off for being a student lol. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Angelica
Mar 14 2008, 01:49 PM
I have a mac and it works quite well, only one thing is a big problem.
No freeware software for mac.
Btw, does someone know some freeware notation software for mac os??? I'm pretty desperate about it. Logic, Sibelius...they are so expensive and I can't find them with amule!
And I don't know where to begin using Finale.

This post has been edited by Angelica: Mar 14 2008, 01:49 PM

--------------------

It's better to please much to a few, than to please a few to many

+Quote Post
Nick Kellie
Mar 14 2008, 02:05 PM
Instructor
angelica, thats not true at all! there is tons of freeware software for the mac.... anything I have needed I have done a search and always found it. Check these sites out

http://www.pure-mac.com/

http://www.freemacware.com/

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/

and there are tons more trust me....

Nick

+Quote Post
Hauke_Z
Mar 14 2008, 02:05 PM
@Angelica

Maybe Myriad Harmony (around 70 Euros) is something for you:

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/harmony.htm

--------------------
"Rock's so good to me. Rock is my child and my grandfather. "
- Chuck Berry

Ibanez GSA60 "Gio"
M-Audio Fasttrack USB
Apple Garageband
Logic Express 7.2

+Quote Post
Nick Kellie
Mar 14 2008, 02:08 PM
Instructor
guitar pro 5 is also really cheap to register and free to download at their website... works great on my mac

nick

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 14 2008, 02:19 PM
I want a Mac. I'm going to save up my pennies and splash out.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Angelica
Mar 14 2008, 02:23 PM
QUOTE (Nick Kellie @ Mar 14 2008, 02:05 PM) *
angelica, thats not true at all! there is tons of freeware software for the mac.... anything I have needed I have done a search and always found it. Check these sites out

http://www.pure-mac.com/

http://www.freemacware.com/

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/

and there are tons more trust me....

Nick

Hey NICK thank you so much for sharing!!! I didn't know these sites! I'll add them to my favorites soon!
I've now downloaded, a notation software, looking forward for it to work!!! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Angelica: Mar 14 2008, 02:24 PM

--------------------

It's better to please much to a few, than to please a few to many

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:04 AM