New 'drop A' Composition, Need opinions, please
thefireball
Jul 18 2011, 01:56 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm writing this song and I need your advice and opinions. Of course, the song is not finished yet. It has no bass and needs work. I think there is room for other guitar parts to compliment the melodies, perhaps add some strings...but also .. the drums. I need your opinion. I'm new to drum programming (EZDrummer DFH). You will notice one part where the drums are really fast and play on the upbeat. Does it fit with what I am playing. Also please comment on my tightness. Is it acceptable? I am aware of some things that could use some work. I finally get a take I'm satisfied enough with and then move on. Being an amateur stinks. wink.gif I am really pushing it on my speed skills here. hehe. It's really fun though.

I have some doubts about the song structure. I don't know if it's really all that good or not. Transitions and all. I'm trying to imitate what I've heard Demon Hunter do. They are playing insanely along, and then suddenly break into a melody. Opinions? biggrin.gif

By the way, do I need to make that ending longer? Maybe another chorus? Or does it sound fine? I'm gonna let you guys dish it out whilst I'm at church camp this week. smile.gif

Thank you so much.
Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Living_in_the_last_days.mp3 ( 3.22MB ) Number of downloads: 148

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stringz
Jul 18 2011, 04:28 AM
GMC:er
Hi Brandon,

Just listened to this a couple of times. I really like it. I'm not so up to date in this genre but it sounds pretty tight. I'm beat to hell here and about to crash as well so my ears kinda stink right now. I've had DFH for a while and I found a compressor that works very well with it and the other EZ expansions. It's the free "rocket" compressor. I think it's still downloadable if you search rocket. The free version offers presets for kick, snare etc. I apply it in each track after saving down as audio and then hit it hard again in the bus with the bus presets provided. It may not be what your looking for in this style but it does a nice job of really punching out the drums if applied in the right dose and when you add the bass it and some eq may help with some separation with the kicks. I will say hats off on the programming and drum changes. I think that's quite an accomplishment. Also the guitars sound great. I think you have a big winner here. Best of luck finishing it off. It'll sound dynamite with the bass and whatever tweeks you do.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Jul 18 2011, 05:27 AM
GMC:er
Wauw! I really like this song smile.gif , not much else to say! smile.gif

Seriously can't wait till I am okay enough to be able to start creating my own songs tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jul 18 2011, 07:45 AM
Tone Seeker
Hi man

You sure are very productive in these days. cool.gif

I really dig this, very heavy sounding with that drop-a.

Just wondering what is that noise/hissing from 0:22 ->

And in about 0:57 there's something, some audio errors I think or maybe 2 tracks are going top of each others...?

Overall very good man. Can't wait to hear the final mix. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 18 2011, 08:38 AM
Instructor
This sounds great, I think the song has very good structure, and riffing and effects are done in a very creative way. Excellent job with composing this one! smile.gif

I'm sure you are aware of all the things that you need to add to this song, so I'm just going to mention that you really need a lead melody for this one, wetter it's guitar lead, keyboard lead or (best of three) vocal lead. Try to come up with that, because the song has enough elements for creating a story in every sense.

Other thing, I like the sound you tried with guitars, and I think it can be a bit more defined. Try lowering the gain just a bit and using more tighter sound. Not sure what you used for guitars tho?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 18 2011, 11:11 AM
Instructor
Mate, I have only one thing to say smile.gif I'd take you along in my projects without any doubt smile.gif

As Ivan said - work out on the tightness a little. I would just add good vocal lines because the structure is very good - in this style, the keyboards would be a little out of question in my opinion, but the vocal line has a good base to lean onto with what you have created, so go for it! smile.gif try to record in close connection and sync with the drums from minute 3.00 onward, you are a little out of sync there.

Congratz! Honestly, you are a very musical young man! Very very good!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 18 2011, 02:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks everybody for the feedback! I'll look more in depth when I get back from camp. smile.gif

QUOTE (WeePee @ Jul 18 2011, 01:45 AM) *
Hi man

You sure are very productive in these days. cool.gif

I really dig this, very heavy sounding with that drop-a.

Just wondering what is that noise/hissing from 0:22 ->

And in about 0:57 there's something, some audio errors I think or maybe 2 tracks are going top of each others...?

Overall very good man. Can't wait to hear the final mix. wink.gif

The hissing you are hearing is my voice effects, I'm actually breathing into the mic. Trying to do what some bands do - add noise. Just experimentation. happy.gif I'm not hearing what you are hearing at 57 seconds, perhaps you or someone can help me hear what you hear. It may be that the tracks start and stop on top of each other. I don't know. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 18 2011, 05:11 AM) *
Mate, I have only one thing to say smile.gif I'd take you along in my projects without any doubt smile.gif

As Ivan said - work out on the tightness a little. I would just add good vocal lines because the structure is very good - in this style, the keyboards would be a little out of question in my opinion, but the vocal line has a good base to lean onto with what you have created, so go for it! smile.gif try to record in close connection and sync with the drums from minute 3.00 onward, you are a little out of sync there.

Congratz! Honestly, you are a very musical young man! Very very good!

Thank you! It's an honor! I'm was kind sure, Ivan and Cosmin, that I was a little off on the tightness; especially where you said, Cosmin. Thank you. Ok, I'll lower the gain. I forgot about that. Use less gain when recording. Check. So strings are not suited for this style? Check. You are the metal master. Haha! biggrin.gif I'm kind of shy about vocals. I was pretending to growl some improv vocals in the shower though. haha

Once again thanks! Keep the comments coming, please. smile.gif Oh, and Tony? smile.gif I know I can count on you for some feedback as well? Haha
I'll see you all after camp is over.

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jul 18 2011, 04:09 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jul 18 2011, 04:57 PM) *
... I'm not hearing what you are hearing at 57 seconds, perhaps you or someone can help me hear what you hear. It may be that the tracks start and stop on top of each other. I don't know. biggrin.gif

Maybe the tracks are top of each other for microsecond... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 19 2011, 05:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I thought it was great Brandon biggrin.gif I really like the changing dynamics of the song. Its a great track by itself, but after Ivan mentioned it needs some lead lines, I listened to it again, and realized he makes a really good point. Can't wait to hear what you come up with biggrin.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Jul 17 2011, 08:56 PM) *
Also please comment on my tightness.

Its funny how comments have the potential to take on an entirely different meaning when taken completely out of context blink.gif But in all seriousness (and in context), I thought it was pretty tight. The guitars, that is biggrin.gif So how did you program the drums?

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:55 PM