Pedals Used As Preamps
Mertay
Feb 3 2016, 03:04 PM
GMC:er
For heavy tones this is very possible, here is a link from a channel playlist that demo's a few;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVPvggsBd18...p7E&index=2

If the distortion is strong and complicated enough (by stacking an overdrive or using huge boosts), this can give an impression of an amp. After the pedals routed to the soundcard, you can open a cab. ir and eq it if needed. If your overdrive is amp-like, you might even get convincing drived tones.

When pedals turned off, the clean sound of the guitar may not be pleasing. This depends on the cab. and eq you did so be sure to experiment but I also use a tube simulator plug-in to get some slight saturation. It must be slight so when you engage the pedals the sound won't get muffled.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 3 2016, 03:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I really need to try this with the Hotbird smile.gif

What do you think about using the Presonus valve peamp in front of soundcard? It does have an instrument input.

Cheers Mertay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 3 2016, 03:24 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 3 2016, 02:19 PM) *
I really need to try this with the Hotbird smile.gif

What do you think about using the Presonus valve peamp in front of soundcard? It does have an instrument input.

Cheers Mertay

It should mimic the tube saturation I mentioned which I do with plug-ins (analog and pre-soundcard would be even better!), I couldn't remember now did we ever tested the presonus?

It takes some experimentation to figure if a drive pedal can be pleasing alone in an amp fashion but since you have that cool Peavey I wouldn't sweat doing those tests biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 3 2016, 03:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 3 2016, 04:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Mertay,
We tried the Presonus only with the SM57.
I learnt a lot doing all those tests with the amps so I will try the Hotbird into soundcard one day. Would Hotbird into Presonus into soundcard work?
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 3 2016, 05:28 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 3 2016, 03:00 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,
We tried the Presonus only with the SM57.
I learnt a lot doing all those tests with the amps so I will try the Hotbird into soundcard one day. Would Hotbird into Presonus into soundcard work?
Cheers
Phil

hmmm could you direct plug the guitar and share sound with like half and full drive from the presonus? stacking saturation/overdrive/distortion is hard to predict but should give an idea as what the unit alone is doing.

yeah it should work but it will be a trial/error test as I have no idea how the tone will be smile.gif but if used with a software amp (aside software cab.) I'm positive it will work nicely as thats how I use pedals.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Feb 22 2016, 06:22 AM
Learning Roadie
For the video, I'm assuming he had to run the effects into a power amp before the cab, correct? I'm still pretty new to that whole ordeal

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 22 2016, 10:03 AM
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Feb 22 2016, 05:22 AM) *
For the video, I'm assuming he had to run the effects into a power amp before the cab, correct? I'm still pretty new to that whole ordeal

I assumed it was directly connected to a soundcard using an impulse but yeah if it isn't an impulse he will need a poweramp.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Feb 22 2016, 07:52 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 22 2016, 09:03 AM) *
I assumed it was directly connected to a soundcard using an impulse but yeah if it isn't an impulse he will need a poweramp.

I watched his Metal Muff demo and he had it connected to a Blackstar 4x12 Cab - I think I got the videos mixed up, in that particular video I'm sure he used a power amp then.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 22 2016, 10:02 PM
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Feb 22 2016, 06:52 PM) *
I watched his Metal Muff demo and he had it connected to a Blackstar 4x12 Cab - I think I got the videos mixed up, in that particular video I'm sure he used a power amp then.

Thanks

If the pedals sound is still too thin, lacks compression or sustain a poweramp sim. can be placed before an ir. . Ignite has one but some guitar suits might also have this feature (by bypassing the the preamp), this still keeps the cpu low for minimum latency recording http://www.igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:18 PM