Youtube Video Tips/tricks, Get Your View Counts Up!!!!!
Todd Simpson
Oct 26 2012, 09:03 PM
GMC:er
Some quick tips to consider when making youtube videos in general where you are playing guitar or talking about gear etc.

1.)KEEP YOUR BEDDING OUT OF THE SHOT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
*Having an un made bed, with sheets, pillows, white linen in the shot ruins the look. sad.gif
*If your bed has to be in the shot, use black bedding/linen and try to disguise/minimize it.

2.)KEEP THE MONEY IN THE SHOT (E.G. The Gear/Blinking Boxes/Guitars)
*If you have any gear, try to decorate the frame/framing of your shot with some of it. Focus on you/playing, but don't shoot you against the bed facing away from all your gear. Just looks bad.

3.)DON"T WORRY ABOUT CUTTING OFF YOUR HEAD
*It's more about the playing/guitar, so if you need to close up on the guitar and lose your head, that's fine.

4.)LESS TALK MORE TONE
*You tube has changed a LOT in the last year or two, the days when you could yammer quite a bit in a video are sadly long gone. People just skip that part now.

5.)AUDIO MATTERS
*People expect to hear quality audio these days on youtube videos which means that the days of getting away with the crappy mic in your handy cam / web cam, are sadly over. Welcome to the world of synching your audio/video wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 27 2012, 06:24 PM
Instructor
Great tips, Todd !! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 29 2012, 04:40 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 27 2012, 01:24 PM) *
Great tips, Todd !! smile.gif

Thanks smile.gif These are small things that are just easy to skip, or not even realize when making vids. Especially at first. I can't tell you how many vids I see where the main object in the frame is an un made bed smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 29 2012, 09:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 29 2012, 03:40 AM) *
Thanks smile.gif These are small things that are just easy to skip, or not even realize when making vids. Especially at first. I can't tell you how many vids I see where the main object in the frame is an un made bed smile.gif

Yeah, I'm amazed at how people really just don't think at what image they're projecting out !

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 29 2012, 09:23 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Now I'm glad I bought that green screen thingy biggrin.gif No more worries about an unmade bed biggrin.gif

Nice tips, thanks Todd!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 29 2012, 05:50 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Great points! I'm really glad I saw this thread. I know I've been guilty of some of these rookie infractions. Not so much an unmade bed but leaving clutter and unnecessary visuals in my videos. As a viewer, I know when I see this it can distract me from what should really be the main focus. The idea of featuring my gear more in my video is a great idea. As a guitar player it is always more interesting to see someones guitar rig instead of a messy bedroom. smile.gif Thanks for the tips.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 29 2012, 06:32 PM
Instructor
I guess leaving a half eaten pizza in shot for my next GMC lesson isn't a good idea ?

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 29 2012, 07:18 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 29 2012, 05:32 PM) *
I guess leaving a half eaten pizza in shot for my next GMC lesson isn't a good idea ?

It would probably lead to me calling the pizza delivery man instead of trying your new lessons. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 29 2012, 07:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 29 2012, 06:18 PM) *
It would probably lead to me calling the pizza delivery man instead of trying your new lessons. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Well, let him know about it so he can cut me some commission ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 29 2012, 07:41 PM
Some quick tips to consider when making youtube videos in general where you are playing guitar or talking about gear etc.

1.)KEEP YOUR BEDDING OUT OF THE SHOT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
*Having an un made bed, with sheets, pillows, white linen in the shot ruins the look. sad.gif
*If your bed has to be in the shot, use black bedding/linen and try to disguise/minimize it.

2.)KEEP THE MONEY IN THE SHOT (E.G. The Gear/Blinking Boxes/Guitars)
*If you have any gear, try to decorate the frame/framing of your shot with some of it. Focus on you/playing, but don't shoot you against the bed facing away from all your gear. Just looks bad.

3.)DON"T WORRY ABOUT CUTTING OFF YOUR HEAD
*It's more about the playing/guitar, so if you need to close up on the guitar and lose your head, that's fine.

4.)LESS TALK MORE TONE
*You tube has changed a LOT in the last year or two, the days when you could yammer quite a bit in a video are sadly long gone. People just skip that part now.

5.)AUDIO MATTERS
*People expect to hear quality audio these days on youtube videos which means that the days of getting away with the crappy mic in your handy cam / web cam, are sadly over. Welcome to the world of synching your audio/video wink.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 29 2012, 04:00 AM) *
Yeah, I'm amazed at how people really just don't think at what image they're projecting out !

It's something worth considering to be sure wink.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 29 2012, 02:25 PM) *
laugh.gif

Well, let him know about it so he can cut me some commission ! biggrin.gif

Portable green screens are a GREAT addition to any home studio! Well played smile.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 29 2012, 01:32 PM) *

Only if it's next to a pink cup!

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 29 2012, 12:50 PM) *
Great points! I'm really glad I saw this thread. I know I've been guilty of some of these rookie infractions. Not so much an unmade bed but leaving clutter and unnecessary visuals in my videos. As a viewer, I know when I see this it can distract me from what should really be the main focus. The idea of featuring my gear more in my video is a great idea. As a guitar player it is always more interesting to see someones guitar rig instead of a messy bedroom. smile.gif Thanks for the tips.

Happy to help smile.gif Sometimes, it's really easy to neglect this stuff, when focusing on the guitar bits. Our eyes look right over stuff in the frame until we see the video posted on youtube somtimes. So always watch your vids before making them public, and make sure the audio worked as well. Then publish to the world. (Not talking about your vids here, just vids in general).

And yeah, put your spiff gear in the frame! I always am curious what gear folks are using, and other players are as well!

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 29 2012, 07:42 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 29 2012, 07:52 PM
Instructor
Good tips Todd! Thanks. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:12 PM