Coming Back To Your Old Songs, Fixing up problems
Taka Perry
Feb 1 2014, 11:19 AM
Learning Rock Star
Today I opened up an old song on my DAW that I released last year. When I initially released it, my recording skills weren't very good, but they have improved steadily over the last year. I reworked many aspects, from drums, bass, general balance and quality. It was really great to see new life being put into a song that I had made. Before, when I heard it I always thought it could have more potential, but now I am fairly happy with the result.

Do you guys have old compositions that you have gone back and reworked on? smile.gif

Here is the song:
https://soundcloud.com/taka-perry/downfall

Old Version (Comparison): Attached File  Downfall.mp3 ( 3.71MB ) Number of downloads: 74

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Taka Perry: Feb 2 2014, 12:02 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 2 2014, 09:57 AM
Instructor
Love the new version mate smile.gif

Yes, I also have this big database of ideas - short passages, structures which I left unfinished and the sort. I keep them safely in my computer and when I remember one of them and feel like I can continue it, I just go for it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 2 2014, 06:17 PM
Learning Roadie
A slight digression but I went back to Gab's Modern Metal Collab and tried to work out and play the solo I composed for that the other day and I couldn't! Even some of the bits I could work out I would need to spend a while woodshedding again.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 2 2014, 06:32 PM
Instructor
Nice new version mate! It like the overall feeling of this tune, and the new version sounds very good. I always get back to old ideas, sometimes unfinished songs and sometimes finished ones. It also happens with my band. In our last album, we recorded a song that has been created to the previous one and didn't find his place on that album.

this one:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 3 2014, 08:47 AM
Instructor
The same with Days of Confusion - we have a pretty extensive database of ideas, some of which were spawned even 6 years ago and we are working on them now in order to have them transformed into full songs and become a part of the new album smile.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Feb 3 2014, 10:01 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Gab, I liked the song, really laid back but full of energy! One day I will see you live wink.gif I think from a writers perspective, you can perceive a song you wrote to be really old, but in truth, it will be 'new' for a long time. I know that I've listened to many songs from 80's that were a new sound for me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2014, 11:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Feb 3 2014, 06:01 AM) *
Hey Gab, I liked the song, really laid back but full of energy! One day I will see you live wink.gif I think from a writers perspective, you can perceive a song you wrote to be really old, but in truth, it will be 'new' for a long time. I know that I've listened to many songs from 80's that were a new sound for me smile.gif

I agree. And I love that moment when we discover a new great song, no matter when it has been written. The feeling of those first plays is beautiful.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 4 2014, 09:35 AM
Instructor
Indeed Gabi and the urge to listen to it about 100-150 times that day, as well laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 4 2014, 12:52 PM
Instructor
It will always be that way smile.gif

1 Even if You spend a year doing the mix, another year will pass, You will learn more and You'll find some things that could have been done better smile.gif

But...of course it's always satisfying to renew some old stuff smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 5 2014, 08:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 4 2014, 11:52 AM) *
It will always be that way smile.gif

1 Even if You spend a year doing the mix, another year will pass, You will learn more and You'll find some things that could have been done better smile.gif

But...of course it's always satisfying to renew some old stuff smile.gif

That's dangerous territory man smile.gif I remember that if I wouldn't have set a date for the EP release gig back in 2012, Days of Confusion would've STILL be working on the EP even now. We are hopelessly obsessed with 'hmmmmm, it's ready but I would change that tho - let's work on it some more'. I don't know how often is this happening to you, but it's a very dangerous habit - which I think that relates more with the fear/obsession of not being perceived at the level you think you should be, rather than perfectionism smile.gif I realized it JUST now and I think I need to have a talk with my band mates about this thing laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:33 PM