A Beginner's Problem., Problem with palm muting
Deivil
Jan 9 2009, 04:03 AM
GMC:er
Hi all!

I'm practicing sometime for myself. I never saw anybody playing guitar in front of me and I dont understand very well the tecnique of palm-muting because in videos it's imposible to see what the guy it's doing with his hand.

I saw that sometimes you can do muting with the palm over the bridge or with any finger of left hand but I find this very dificult to me.

I need help guys, I now it's a very easy technique but there is something which escape to me.

Thanks! wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Jan 9 2009, 04:08 AM
Are you referring to the palm muting technique used commonly in metal, or simply muting the strings from producing abstract noise with your palm. Sorry, I'm a little uncertain which one you're talking about. If you could clarify a little bit, that'd be helpful smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Deivil
Jan 9 2009, 04:11 AM
QUOTE (Fullmetal_Tmd @ Jan 9 2009, 04:08 AM) *
Are you referring to the palm muting technique used commonly in metal, or simply muting the strings from producing abstract noise with your palm. Sorry, I'm a little uncertain which one you're talking about. If you could clarify a little bit, that'd be helpful smile.gif

I'm referring to the technique used in metal

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Jan 9 2009, 04:21 AM
Ah, I see. Like you said in your first post, its simply placing your picking hand's palm slightly in front of the bridge. What exactly are you having difficulty with? Picking while muting, muffling the notes too much, etc.?

+Quote Post
Deivil
Jan 9 2009, 05:02 AM
QUOTE (Fullmetal_Tmd @ Jan 9 2009, 04:21 AM) *
Ah, I see. Like you said in your first post, its simply placing your picking hand's palm slightly in front of the bridge. What exactly are you having difficulty with? Picking while muting, muffling the notes too much, etc.?

If I put the palm on bridge when I pick, the strings still vibrating and sounds like no muting, but if i put palm directly on strings they sounds too muted. I can't find the balance between those

This post has been edited by Deivil: Jan 9 2009, 05:05 AM

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Jan 9 2009, 05:19 AM
No worries, mate. Usually, you just have to place your hand just slightly infront of the bridge, in the space between the bridge pickup and the bridge itself. I've got a few pictures and a video that can help you find it, they might help, and i used a whammy bar instead of my hand, that way you can actually see where i mean.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/the...an/100_1890.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/the...an/100_1883.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/the...an/100_1894.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/the...an/100_1885.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/the...an/100_1891.jpg

EDIT: Haha, sorry for the poor picture quality btw

This post has been edited by Fullmetal_Tmd: Jan 9 2009, 05:28 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  100_1908.MOV ( 16.54MB ) Number of downloads: 116

+Quote Post
Deivil
Jan 9 2009, 05:29 AM
Thanks Fullmetal!! I'll try it. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
Jan 9 2009, 05:58 AM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, this one comes with some experimenting...you wanna try different amounts of pressure for different muted sounds...as suggested before, closer to the bridge is much more forgiving and easier..good luck!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:45 AM