> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

GMC Arena Rock, Lesson By Kristofer Dahl
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
Total Votes: 4

Mirba
Nov 30 2016, 08:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
Original lesson: GMC Arena Rock by Kristofer Dahl

Hey guys,

I've been working hard on my alternate picking recently. I feel like i'm really improving my technique and that i'm able to keep my arm in a more relaxed state. But for some reason when I record myself I tense up again?

I'm not happy with my timing in the intro part ( the parts with the vocals ). But I decided to upload anyway because this took an embarrassingly amount of takes tongue.gif , and I was pretty happy with the other parts.

Great and fun lesson. I definitely underestimated the difficulty of this one! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mirba: Nov 30 2016, 08:18 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 30 2016, 08:51 PM
GMC Founder
Awesome Mirba - I was so happy to see a REC of this lesson biggrin.gif

This is a studio track and I have never played it as a whole song, but I feel I got to re-learn that rocking riff at 0:30. biggrin.gif

To my ears you have definitely got the feel down - and the only problem I see are missed notes here and there during the fast parts.

At 01:09 you are stumbling a little with the right hand over the fast palm muted nutes. This happens to me to, and usually it means I need to to get a bit more strength from my arm ( = less movement fromt he wrist and more from the arm). Also the angle in which the pick hits the string affects how hard it is for you to cross the string.

Your right hand looks good though, so it is most likely a matter of giving it more practicing time.

Your left hand looks good as well, though you could probably get slightly smaller movements going.

You have managed to get a beefy tone which I think is in the ballpark.

Your vid seems slightly unsync, with audio coming slightly after video. (this does not affect the grade but worth fixing for your next video)

I am looking forward to hear what my fellow instructors think - they are more experienced rhythm guitarists than me.

And I can't wait to see more REC takes from you! YOU ROCK!! cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 1 2016, 10:29 AM
Instructor
Hey man! It's awesome to see one of Kris lesson done in rec smile.gif Even greater is the fact Kris was able to give you his personal feedback.

Your strong parts are definitely the tone from your hands and clean execution (no unwanted noises). Tension that happens while recording is something natural...just like with live performance. Sometiems it works to simpyl record yourself over adn over until you simply forget there's a camera turned on.

In the second half on middle part you loose some of the notes. I don't see any particular reason for this to happen. Probably more time needed to fully "load" the licks into fingers memory.

In the final riff your fingers (left hand) do not have to move that far from the fretboard. Try to minimize that motion.

Aside from that it's a good take. Congratulations

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 1 2016, 12:55 PM
Instructor
Hi Mirba, it's cool to see a REC of a rare lesson like this - good choice!

Your overall timing is strong and your chord shifting is pretty damn accurate. I'm not hearing anything that leaps out as overly bad or needing attention. The only time I, as a listener, notice something not sounding right is around the fast riffing section. I know the guys have mentioned it already but I think it's possibly a case of not being 100% comfortable with the patterns and your fretting hand is stumbling a bit, especially around 0:36.

This could be due to lack of memorisation, red light syndrome (which you already said about) or sometimes the timing goes off if people's fingers are not in control of licks that use pull-offs. I find that people often speed up accidentally when performing pull-offs due to the loss of control during the pulling off motion itself.

Your picking is looking good though so well done- keep it up!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2016, 05:43 PM
GMC:er
I won't bother reiterating what has already been said and you have enough votes to pass this but I wanted to give you a full on 10 for your agressive style and overall vibe. It doesn't look like a lesson, it looks like you are jamming your brains out and having a great time smile.gif For that alone I'm giving you the full marks. Yes, there are bits that need some work, as there will always be. You know what they are, they've been well documented. But I wanted you to know that you FREAKING RAWK and I"m giving you full RAWK marks smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 2 2016, 11:07 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:31 AM