2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Schenker Vs Marty Vs Hammett, Who is best?!
Who is best?!
Choose
Marty Friedman [ 18 ] ** [66.67%]
Michael Schenker [ 5 ] ** [18.52%]
Kirk Hammett [ 4 ] ** [14.81%]
Total Votes: 27
Guests cannot vote 
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 28 2010, 11:12 AM
GMC Founder
If you haven't seen Ben's brilliant Michael Schenker lesson yet - check it out here.

As Ben points out in his lesson - Mr Schenker has been an influence to a lot of the biggest metal bands and their guitarists, so... tough choice...but who is the BEST guitarist among these?! ph34r.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Justin Myrick
Oct 28 2010, 11:20 AM
GMC Administrator
Haha, look I'm winning!! MARTY ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
About Me

Cheers,
Justin Myrick
GMC Administrator

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 28 2010, 11:25 AM
Instructor
Kris you bad man ! How can you make us choose ?? wink.gif

It's between Marty & Schenker personally, as much as I love Metallica and admire Kirk....

But it's like asking a man to choose between beer... or pies !!! biggrin.gif

I'll have to think about it before (if) I vote !!! dry.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 28 2010, 11:30 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 28 2010, 12:25 PM) *
But it's like asking a man to choose between beer... or pies !!! biggrin.gif

hehe I guess you are right.. it's like comparing bikes and cars...

It's not fair because bikes are completely superior: environmental and have positive effect on your physique.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 28 2010, 11:34 AM
Instructor
Haha.. uh-oh ohmy.gif Bikes VS Cars ??? That might need another poll to cover that debate !!! smile.gif

Although I'm strictly for CARS ! Nothing beats a revving V8........ or V12. Or flat 6..... ok ok, I could go on ! dry.gif

But, I can only imagine Yngwie in his Ferrari but not perched atop a bike....! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Oct 28 2010, 11:54 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
wow what a great poll!! I agree with Ben, between Marty and Schenker for me too.

I`ve gone with Michael Schenker, purely as he was quite a big influence for me personally in the mid eighties

Bring on the "Attack of the mad axeman!!!!" biggrin.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Oct 28 2010, 12:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
Marty Friedman of course. For me he is the most unique and versatile guitarist of the ones there. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 28 2010, 12:20 PM
Instructor
Schenker is very influential but Marty took guitar soloing to another level. So I vote Marty smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Oct 28 2010, 07:23 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Without doubt, Marty smile.gif The gus's a genius, despite how much the other two influenced guitarists.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Oct 28 2010, 08:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
SCHENKER for me
See how he play at Scorpions, UFO at a very very young age.
His melodic way of soloing

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 28 2010, 08:54 PM
GMC:er
Wow what a tough call! I agree that Marty is just a killer, monster, player. Schenker helped invent so much of what we take for granted today so he deserves top honors too. I'm gonna to with Kirk though on overal "who's better" as his right hand technique is balanced with his left more so than Marty. not to take away from Marty's playing which is brilliant, but the question isn't who is a better writer, more who is a better player. The breadth of techniques that Kirk employs is quite impressive and his blending of traditional blues scales with minor modes to create his unique sound is also a factor for me.

Then again, I"m a pretty big fan of semi indulgent shredding so I may be biased towards the guy with flashy, balanced technique. Don't' get me wrong I think Marty is a God. He leads with an upstroke which I find nearly impossible and his style is certainly unique among players. His song writing is killer as well, beyond what the others I think can do. But still, gotta give it to Kirk. Then again, I'm a big fan of Kirks band so that may have something to do with it.

Todd

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 28 2010, 09:02 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I can't believe I'm the only person to vote for Kirk Hammett so far. The other two may be better guitar players, but Kirk writes better solos. His solos are singable, and non-guitarists - who are the vast majority of music listeners - can recognize a Kirk Hammett solo. The Enter Sandman solo is a perfect example. Kirk is a gateway guitarist, meaning to get to the other two guitarists mentioned, you have to get through Kirks solos first. Kirk probably inspired more people to pickup a guitar than the other two combined. Marty Friedman is a guitarists guitarist, but Kirk is the guitarist for the everyman.

Edit: I guess Todd Simpson posted a few moments before I did, so I am not the only person to vote for Kirk smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Oct 28 2010, 09:08 PM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Oct 28 2010, 09:06 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Are You sure that Kirk is writing his own stuff? I don't know why, but always thought that if something sounds good, it must be James "fault" tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 28 2010, 09:47 PM
Instructor
I've never listened to much to Schenker (I just listened to the most popular Scorpions songs) however Ben's lesson is insane so I must check him out! My choice should be between Marty and Hammet but I can't choose one... it's imposible for me... both have great & memorial solos and have composed historical riffs... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 28 2010, 11:54 PM
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Oct 28 2010, 04:06 PM) *
Are You sure that Kirk is writing his own stuff? I don't know why, but always thought that if something sounds good, it must be James "fault" tongue.gif

smile.gif believe it or not but it was actually Kirk that wrote the Enter Sandman riff and Lars is the one that made it work.

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 29 2010, 12:58 AM
We are the odd guys out voting for Kirk it seems, but hey I'm in good company smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 29 2010, 01:41 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 28 2010, 05:34 AM) *
Haha.. uh-oh ohmy.gif Bikes VS Cars ??? That might need another poll to cover that debate !!! smile.gif

Although I'm strictly for CARS ! Nothing beats a revving V8........ or V12. Or flat 6..... ok ok, I could go on ! dry.gif

But, I can only imagine Yngwie in his Ferrari but not perched atop a bike....! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif hahaha

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 29 2010, 02:42 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 28 2010, 07:58 PM) *
We are the odd guys out voting for Kirk it seems, but hey I'm in good company smile.gif

Todd

biggrin.gif +1

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Gary
Oct 29 2010, 04:47 AM
Big fan of all of three wink.gif

I grew up listening to UFO and remember reading an interview with Rudulph Schenker many years ago where he discussed Michaels abilities. Rudulph noted that after he had been playing for a couple years and went away with his family for the weekend and left his guitar behind. Upon returning they found Michael had decided to start playing guitar and with no previous experience he leaned an entire album (60's music) by ear. Ruduph knew at that point his brother possesed an incredible amount of raw, natural talent.

That being said.. Marty's Scenes is my all time favorite album. The blending of the slow & fast, soft & hard, along that underlying Asian influence is a triumph of monumental proportion (Marty's solo in Valley of Eternity is god like..imho). His ability to create cool sounding melodies is off the charts and when he plays fast it seems it is for a purpose.
Marty gets my vote!

+Quote Post
Mate Nagy
Oct 29 2010, 01:11 PM
Schenker and Marty are great, but Marty is more sophisticated and unique.
He is really a true genious !

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:13 PM