Eric Johnson's Jazz Iii Pick Theory
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 13 2008, 02:02 AM
GMC:er
A great player to say the least.
I recall reading some where that he claimed " there is a difference between the Red Dunlop Jazz III picks and the Black Dunlop Jazz III picks ( Not the color biggrin.gif ), He said the sound is different.

Now I know alot of you use Jazz III's and I was wondering if there is some truth to this statement?
I play with Red's and have never played with Blacks, can you actually hear a difference ?

Im not doubting the master himself but It seems sketchy tongue.gif

Thoughts,Answers?

~John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Jun 13 2008, 02:02 AM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
Jun 13 2008, 02:05 AM
I have been an avid defender of the Purple 1.14mm Dunlop Tortex turtle picks.

A few weeks back I picked up some Jazz3's just to test drive them. They were ok, but I could get the stability I needed for some metal playing. 2 Days ago I picked them back up and I was blown away. I have been using them since, they are light as a feather compared to the turtles.

As for sound, no where near as warm as the dunlop tone. They also dont feel as good to me. But they are light and let my hand move quickly, and force me to expose just a small amount of pick.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 13 2008, 04:07 AM
Instructor
I've had red's and black's before, but i've never noticed any difference in sound at all.

Could be that Mr. Johnson's ears pick up more than us ordinary people do smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 13 2008, 04:19 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jun 12 2008, 10:07 PM) *
I've had red's and black's before, but i've never noticed any difference in sound at all.

Could be that Mr. Johnson's ears pick up more than us ordinary people do smile.gif

Or could be that Mr. Johnson, as is common with many many artists historically, has some goofy perceptions. He thinks he can hear the difference in battery types.

The red are different than the black, not just color. Red is thicker.

edit: conjugation of verb, don't want to sound like I am from Missouri.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 13 2008, 04:20 AM

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jun 13 2008, 04:29 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 13 2008, 04:19 AM) *
Or could be that Mr. Johnson, as is common with many many artists historically, has some goofy perceptions. He thinks he can hear the difference in battery types.

Not meaning to correct you.

But red is actually the thinner one. while black is stiffer of course.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
swingline
Jun 13 2008, 04:37 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 12 2008, 08:19 PM) *

I always laugh when I hear about the batteries, He's still a great guitarist none the less.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 13 2008, 04:53 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Jun 12 2008, 10:29 PM) *
Not meaning to correct you.

But red is actually the thinner one. while black is stiffer of course.

not the two I have here in my hand. Both say Jazz III.

I now think they are probably the same. The red seems to give an illusion of being thicker, at least to me, but looking at them under a magnifying glass, I now think they are the same. The black is not thicker, I am sure of that.

Anyone else with both in hand, feel free to weigh in. Looks like this maybe gets chalked up with Johnson's battery thing.

edit: well, now I am not sure anymore. the red feels more flexible to me. maybe.

As I don't care for them, I leave it up to you. I don't think there is a big difference though between them, if there is any.

edit again: ok, I did a blind test, and I am able to tell the difference, the red one is more flexible. I won't go and say it is thinner though, it may be, but who knows, it does not look like it is to me. could be more thin in the middle or something like that, don't know. but I can tell the difference without looking every time.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 13 2008, 05:04 AM

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jun 13 2008, 04:58 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 13 2008, 04:53 AM) *
not the two I have here in my hand. Both say Jazz III.

I now think they are probably the same. The red seems to give an illusion of being thicker, at least to me, but looking at them under a magnifying glass, I now think they are the same. The black is not thicker, I am sure of that.

Anyone else with both in hand, feel free to weigh in. Looks like this maybe gets chalked up with Johnson's battery thing.

well.. maybe the same thickness. but the red one seems to be alot more flexible to me.

but who knows. smile.gif.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 13 2008, 05:03 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Eric Johnson also once claimed to noticed the difference batteries made in his pedal, So clearly his ear work on a whole new frequency laugh.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 13 2008, 05:16 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Jun 12 2008, 10:58 PM) *
well.. maybe the same thickness. but the red one seems to be alot more flexible to me.

but who knows. smile.gif.

right, I discovered that, able to tell every time between the two. I would not say a "lot" of difference, as I define "lot" but noticeable.

would be more material to people who hold the pick higher, as I hold it tucked in with just bare tip exposed, doubt it would matter much for me, if I used them, which I don't.

To the topic at hand, EJ may be able to tell the difference, not sure why the red is more flexible, might be a different formula of nylon used in making them, but the tone might be slightly different, and he may have the ears to tell.

but not with batteries.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 13 2008, 05:10 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 13 2008, 09:58 AM
Instructor
I would say there's a slight difference yes.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 13 2008, 12:39 PM
Good Ideas here, It was funny fkalich laugh.gif , watching you edit your posts a thousand times because you just werent sure , gave me a laugh.

I was going to mention something about the battery in his pedals thing, but I decided to leave it out smile.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 13 2008, 01:07 PM
I use the Nylon yellow style ones tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jun 13 2008, 02:15 PM
Neither red nor black, but Jazz III Tortex here! laugh.gif

Favorite is Big Stubby 2mm, though..

This post has been edited by jacmoe: Jun 13 2008, 02:15 PM

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 13 2008, 04:45 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
I think whether he claims he hears a differnce or not go with what YOU like. Not to knock him I love EJ his violiny sound is gorgeous but I think he goes a little overboard with the whole pick and battery thing. Although I do like the Jazz III's myself at times. Just my thoughts

This post has been edited by Hammerin Hank: Jun 13 2008, 04:46 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:50 AM