Any Tips For Tone!
shredmaster1393
Jan 5 2010, 07:04 AM
GMC:er
hey guys wats up, i was just watching the intro to hotlicks dvd by eric johson and heard his amazing tone. i was wonddring does anyone have any tips for me to get great tone out of my Amp and guitar. wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
its not what you take with you, but what you leave behind that defines greatness
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[font="Impact"

[size="5"][/size]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 5 2010, 09:52 AM
Lets go fishing!
I had real problems finding the right sound for me for quite some time, infact I thought id never find it (or be able to afford the gear needed to find it).

I went for a distorted sound as most guitarists do but I wasnt happy with it. Eventually I found some pod x3 tutorials on youtube and learnt more about how to shape my sound. Now I use an almost clean sound with just a hint of overdrive and delay and to my ears at least it sounds like its coming from an expensive setup.

The best thing about "cleaning up" I found was that you end up with better technique because you cant get away with playing anything sloppy! The paf pros in my Ibanez pgm are very clean pups also so this helps me practice properly.

The point im trying to make is you can most likely acheive the sound your searching for without spending mega money on top name amps and effects smile.gif

People always told me tone comes from the fingers and not the amp, but I was very skeptical. I found that actually they were very right, however if you dont have a good "sound" coming from your rig its an upwards struggle from there.

So my advice in a round about way, is to spend some time learning about sound shaping. There are plenty of great resources on youtube for example cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 5 2010, 12:39 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I agree with a lot of what Matt has said above, I have spent many many years playing with various pedals, modellers etc to find a sound that I`m truly happy with and suits me, it has also cost loads of cash over the years messing around with all the toys etc.

in the end I decided to sit down and realyl concentrate on the patches on my POD that I use for recording and my Korg FX pedal that I use live, the gain actually has been backed right back compared to what it was maybe two or three years ago, but the clarity of the sound is much much better, the phrase "less is more" often applies in these situations, dont overdo your delays, dont overdo your chorus`s etc, just use them to "colour" your sound that you are happy with smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 5 2010, 04:57 PM
Instructor
I'm not sure what gear do you have but to get that Eric Johnson tone...well...it takes a LOT. smile.gif
Not only his gear but micing, micing is a hell of a job, good micing can make descent tone sounding good
and bad micing can make brilliant tone sounding horrible etc etc.
As for basic idea it would be delay and OD, as Victor said. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 5 2010, 05:07 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Its experience.. not gears.. biggrin.gif Just my thought.. I have all these 'great' / 'expensive' gears now.. but still can't get that sweet tone. smile.gif You know, great players have tonnes of experience and can make broken guitars / cheap amps sound great. So, I guess you will have to fiddle around tweak tones add more gears etc to get 'that' tone.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
shredmaster1393
Jan 5 2010, 06:52 PM
GMC:er
tanks guys for all the feedback!!! wink.gif

--------------------
its not what you take with you, but what you leave behind that defines greatness
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[font="Impact"

[size="5"][/size]

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 5 2010, 07:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jan 5 2010, 05:07 PM) *
Its experience.. not gears.. biggrin.gif Just my thought.. I have all these 'great' / 'expensive' gears now.. but still can't get that sweet tone. smile.gif You know, great players have tonnes of experience and can make broken guitars / cheap amps sound great. So, I guess you will have to fiddle around tweak tones add more gears etc to get 'that' tone.

Well said, playing is VERY related to tone in general,
you need to know how a sound reacts and how to control it to get best results. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 5 2010, 07:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jan 5 2010, 04:57 PM) *
I'm not sure what gear do you have but to get that Eric Johnson tone...well...it takes a LOT. smile.gif
Not only his gear but micing, micing is a hell of a job, good micing can make descent tone sounding good
and bad micing can make brilliant tone sounding horrible etc etc.
As for basic idea it would be delay and OD, as Victor said. smile.gif

I agree. I was lucky to play with Symphony X in Bogota as the opening act. I really didn't like Michael Romeo's tone that night, the thing is on stage his guitar sounded great but from the audience it wasn't really clear. What I noticed was that they had a Shure SM57 pointed at the center of the cone of the amp and I think that was what caused that. He was using a line6 Vetta II

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 6 2010, 12:51 AM
Instructor
You can use similar gear as he uses to create similar tone environment as his. This will get you started. This includes Marshall and Fender amps, delay and some chorus too.

On top of that, tone is in the fingers, no effect and overdrive or micing can make it sound good. Sure it can candy-wrap it, but the base will remain the same. The base tone is what comes out of the finges, what both hands produce. Experienced players know well the gear, and how it responds to playing. They adapt the gear to their preferences and adapt their playing too. Creating a good tone comes from placing the fretting hand right, making effortless, fluid movements (kind of movements done thousands of times), and picking the string just the right way.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:12 PM