3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Worst 5 High Price Guitars You've Ever Played
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 10:34 AM
GMC:er
1. Gibson Les Paul (The worst guitar ever in my opinion. Awful looks, Awful sound, Awful playability, far too heavy and just a disgrace)
2. PRS Custom 22 (Nearly made it to number 1. It looks disgusting and I hate the tones. Definitely not a good guitar)
3. Dean Dimebag Razorback (Just a waste of money. Half the money you pay is because it's got Dime's name on it. Not bad as an <£1000 Guitar but awful for over £3000)
4. ESP Alexi Laiho (Dreadful Sound and so far from the quality of his real guitar I'd imagine)
5. Ibanez JEM (Finally got to try one out and I really hate the feel of the neck and the looks. Not easy for me to play)

What are some of your worst guitars you've tried out for over £300 ($650)

This is my opinion by the way. No need to cry. I just want your opinions on high range guitars. Then I can try them out and see what I think. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Oct 3 2008, 10:36 AM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 3 2008, 10:36 AM
I agree with all except the PRS custom, i think its an awesome guitar. Of course the amps help to but i particuarly like Opeths tone, who use those guitars i believe

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 10:37 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Oct 3 2008, 10:36 AM) *
I agree with all except the PRS custom, i think its an awesome guitar. Of course the amps help to but i particuarly like Opeths tone, who use those guitars i believe

I prefer a few other PRS guitars that are actually cheaper. Some of them look quite nice and play like a dream but that specific one I think is bad.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 3 2008, 10:38 AM
Well everyone has their own opinion, i've played one myself and i thought it was great and i love the look as well

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 10:41 AM
What annoys me most about high end guitars are that a lot of them are artist models but you are paying way over the odds for these guitars and the product hasn't half the quality the original artists has. Does anyone own an artist guitar and what are your thoughts?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Duncan
Oct 3 2008, 10:44 AM
I own a Paul Gilbert PGM301. It was my 18th birthday present from my dad and I absolutely love it. From looks, quality and playability I haven't found a better guitar.

I agree with you though about Les Paul guitars. Whenever I've played one I've hated it.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 3 2008, 10:44 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 04:34 AM) *
1. Gibson Les Paul (The worst guitar ever in my opinion. Awful looks, Awful sound, Awful playability, far too heavy and just a disgrace)

Well I got a Parker, and like it. However, I still mostly play my Les Pauls, because they look better, sounds better, and are far more playable. I will agree that they are heavier.

Regarding price. Buy a new Parker and then sell it. Then buy a Les Paul and sell it. See which one you take a bigger hit on.

edit:

if you ever can get one of these for a good price, I have one and love it. just like this, with the s1 switching (important). Great guitar. Discontinued now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-AMERICAN-STANDA...p3286.m63.l1177

This post has been edited by fkalich: Oct 3 2008, 10:48 AM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 10:46 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 3 2008, 10:44 AM) *
Well I got a Parker, and like it. However, I still mostly play my Les Pauls, because they look better, sounds better, and are far more playable. I will agree that they are heavier.

Regarding price. Buy a new Parker and then sell it. Then buy a Les Paul and sell it. See which one you take a bigger hit on.

I've already done it with a Parker. I got more than I paid for it because of the difference in USA and UK prices. I made 200 pound ($400). Bet I couldn't do that on a Les Paul but I haven't tried I must admit.

My favourite 5 high price guitars

1. Caparison TAT2
2. Parker Nitefly M
3. Suhr Custom
4. Rickenbacher (Any)
5. Parker Artist

As for the Parker playability. It's down to what you play. It fits perfect for my style of play and it's quite hard to control and takes a while to find your sound but when you do it blows most other guitars away apart from my Caparison which is a work of art and engineering brilliance.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Oct 3 2008, 10:49 AM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 3 2008, 10:48 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 10:41 AM) *
What annoys me most about high end guitars are that a lot of them are artist models but you are paying way over the odds for these guitars and the product hasn't half the quality the original artists has. Does anyone own an artist guitar and what are your thoughts?

Yeah i own a PRS Paul Allender model and its pretty good i think. I didn't buy it because i'm a fan of cradle of filth or anything but just because i liked the sound and looks. I compared it against an Epiphone Les Paul round my friends we plugged them trhough the same setup and the difference in sound was huge. His Les paul had a lot more higher end tone i think and mine was more bassy, it all depends on what you prefer i think.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 3 2008, 10:51 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 04:46 AM) *
I've already done it with a Parker. I got more than I paid for it because of the difference in USA and UK prices. I made 200 pound ($400). Bet I couldn't do that on a Les Paul but I haven't tried I must admit.

My favourite 5 high price guitars

1. Caparison TAT2
2. Parker Nitefly M
3. Suhr Custom
4. Rickenbacher (Any)
5. Parker Artist

Come on OC. Whatever deal you maybe got lucky on, all a person has to do is look on ebay sales, and see what they go for. Without question, on average, the resale value of a Parker is MUCH lower than a Les Paul.

I am not happy with that, but that is just the way it is, just look at sales history and it will kick you in the face. There is not argument, end of discussion, it is right there for your looking.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 10:52 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Oct 3 2008, 10:48 AM) *
Yeah i own a PRS Paul Allender model and its pretty good i think. I didn't buy it because i'm a fan of cradle of filth or anything but just because i liked the sound and looks. I compared it against an Epiphone Les Paul round my friends we plugged them trhough the same setup and the difference in sound was huge. His Les paul had a lot more higher end tone i think and mine was more bassy, it all depends on what you prefer i think.

But do you think the guitar is worth what you paid or do you think had his name not been connected it would be at least 20% lower in price? I'm not saying all artist models are bad I'm saying they are over expensive and usually if you play the mass produced copies alongside the real one you'd notice the difference.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 3 2008, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure i mean i paid £530 for it, which wasn't a bad deal because most places sell it for around £600. Is it worth it? Well compared to my other guitars yeah. But i'm not experienced enough with models and stuff to really say who knows maybe it is maybe it isn't but its served me well so far

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 10:58 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 3 2008, 10:51 AM) *
Come on OC. Whatever deal you maybe got lucky on, all a person has to do is look on ebay sales, and see what they go for. Without question, on average, the resale value of a Parker is MUCH lower than a Les Paul.

I am not happy with that, but that is just the way it is, just look at sales history and it will kick you in the face. There is not argument, end of discussion, it is right there for your looking.

It's harder to get more but you can do it. It's just finding a bargain and finding a person in the UK that is willing to pay you 100 pound more than they could find it on ebay BUT have it delivered to their door and have less risk. People are still scared of internet sales let alone global sales of items. I use that fact to make money on guitars all the time. I've owned 18 different guitars over 6 years and sold 12 of them. 7 or 8 of which I have made a profit. It's just being good at business. smile.gif It's certainly easier to sell a Les Paul as they are more well known but Parker fanatics will pay a lot for a Parker that in the UK is impossible to find.

QUOTE (steve25 @ Oct 3 2008, 10:54 AM) *
I'm not sure i mean i paid £530 for it, which wasn't a bad deal because most places sell it for around £600. Is it worth it? Well compared to my other guitars yeah. But i'm not experienced enough with models and stuff to really say who knows maybe it is maybe it isn't but its served me well so far

That doesn't seem so bad. I've not actually played that model of guitar. But Dimebag Razorback for £3500 ($7000) in UK. That is absolutely insane. You can get a custom designed to exactly your own specs for that price.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Oct 3 2008, 10:59 AM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 3 2008, 11:01 AM
Really, the deal is, what can you easily sell it for used. If you look around, you can get a new Gibson a price pretty close to what you could sell it for used on ebay. So why is it overpriced? The value is there.

I go back to my Parker example. I bought a Mojo at what I thought was a great price ($1,300). They sell for about $450 more on MF. Then I looked at Ebay sales, and the guitar in perfect condition used went for little over $1000. That was about a 40% hit over MF prices.

With a Gibson, it is more like a 20% hit in such a situation.

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 3 2008, 11:03 AM
I cant think of a bad guitar I have played,if there setup well they all play alike-Just sound diferent with amps with their diferent woods and pickups.Parker is one of the easiest guitars to play

Not sure if Artist models are worth the full price,unless they have custom graphics.

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 3 2008, 11:04 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 04:58 AM) *
It's harder to get more but you can do it. It's just finding a bargain and finding a person in the UK that is willing to pay you 100 pound more than they could find it on ebay BUT have it delivered to their door and have less risk. People are still

You can't look at it that way, that is not the way to look at it OC, not your personal experience.

I do the same. I have not sold any guitars, but I have always hunted for good deals. I paid $700 for a new tri tone american strat new, $1000 for an SG Standard cherry. And $2400 for a 58 Les Paul Reissue that sells for $3100 at MF. All new and perfect with lifetime warranty. Among others.

But that does not mean squat, my personal experience. You have to look at market value, general market resale value, that is the only reasonable way to look at such things.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 11:11 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 3 2008, 11:01 AM) *
Really, the deal is, what can you easily sell it for used. If you look around, you can get a new Gibson a price pretty close to what you could sell it for used on ebay. So why is it overpriced? The value is there.

I go back to my Parker example. I bought a Mojo at what I thought was a great price ($1,300). They sell for about $450 more on MF. Then I looked at Ebay sales, and the guitar in perfect condition used went for little over $1000. That was about a 40% hit over MF prices.

With a Gibson, it is more like a 20% hit in such a situation.

Yes BUT in the UK you can easily buy a Les Paul from any shop whereas a Parker Mojo you can't get in the UK or on ebay UK so you HAVE to get from USA. This adds complications included Import Tax. I buy from Canada and they escape the import tax on the way in and I have a Parker guitar for £700 that costs £1500 in this country. I sell for £1000 and voila. Seriously it works. If you sold your Parker to me for what you think it is worth I will make a profit on it. If you want to sell it I will buy it as I'm confident I can make money again.

Do you not agree with my reasoning. You can get Parker guitars in USA. You can't find Parkers anywhere in the UK sad.gif Apart from online where they are about £500 more than USA prices.

Whereas Les Paul's are available everywhere in UK thus creating competition on prices and therefore driving prices down so they aren't actually too expensive in the UK. Parker don't have the competition. Shops that sell them can sell them for a lot more than they should be selling them for.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 3 2008, 11:14 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 05:09 AM) *
Yes BUT in the UK you can easily buy a Les Paul from any shop whereas a Parker Mojo you can't get in the UK or on ebay UK so you HAVE to get from USA. This adds complications included Import Tax. I buy from Canada and they escape the import tax on the way in and I have a Parker guitar for £700 that costs £1500 in this country. I sell for £1000 and voila. Seriously it works. If you sold your Parker to me for what you think it is worth I will make a profit on it. If you want to sell it I will buy it as I'm confident I can make money again.

Do you not agree with my reasoning. You can get Parker guitars in USA. You can't find Parkers anywhere in the UK sad.gif Apart from online where they are about £500 more than USA prices.

Well, that makes sense. It is different here. I paid $1337 for a Parker MoJo, nearly $450 less than MF price. But then I saw two like it sale in mint on Ebay for $1050. Now I don't plan on putting it on sale, I like it a lot. Mostly it is balanced like my Les Pauls. I consider it a great sounding guitar, and it has a great wammy bar.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 11:18 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 3 2008, 11:14 AM) *
Well, that makes sense. It is different here. I paid $1337 for a Parker MoJo, nearly $450 less than MF price. But then I saw two like it sale in mint on Ebay for $1050. Now I don't plan on putting it on sale, I like it a lot. Mostly it is balanced like my Les Pauls. I consider it a great sounding guitar, and it has a great wammy bar.

It just depends where you are living. A Parker Mojo in this country is £1500 ($3000). It is absolute madness. biggrin.gif And people pay it.

Although buying a guitar currently is a bad idea as the exchange rate is going mental with the economic goings on. Let us know if you ever want to sell your Parker. I'd have it in a second biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Duncan
Oct 3 2008, 11:19 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 11:18 AM) *
It just depends where you are living. A Parker Mojo in this country is £1500 ($3000). It is absolute madness. biggrin.gif And people pay it.

Although buying a guitar currently is a bad idea as the exchange rate is going mental with the economic goings on. Let us know if you ever want to sell your Parker. I'd have it in a second biggrin.gif

Can you afford it on top of the XPT700? tongue.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:48 PM