I Jump Around To Much :(
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Oct 1 2008, 08:03 PM
GMC:er
I often find myself jumping around to much between lessons. Sometimes when I feel something is getting somewhat hard, I drop the lesson and go onto another. Any tips on sticking with lessons better ? huh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Oct 1 2008, 08:13 PM
Instructor
If you start working on a lesson, and find that you're simply not ready for it - then I think it's pefectly ok to jump to another lesson.

But I sense you tend to jump as soon as it gets just a little bit hard? and that's not good. Maybe you could ask for a challenge from one of the GMC'ers? smile.gif Then you MUST learn the whole lesson! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Oct 1 2008, 08:18 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Oct 1 2008, 08:03 PM) *
I often find myself jumping around to much between lessons. Sometimes when I feel something is getting somewhat hard, I drop the lesson and go onto another. Any tips on sticking with lessons better ? huh.gif

yea I think thats kind of natural, you`ve perhaps picked a lesson that is too hard maybe?

I generally pick lessons that are more to my playing style/taste that way they hold my interest a lot more, I often pick lessons that are not so much too difficult but just dont suit me, and I will do the same and stop working on it and move on, all the lessons sound great so pretty much all appeal but that doesnt mean that they are "for me", spend a bit of time looking through the lessons finding ones that sound great for a particular technique you want to work on, and that you think will be "doable" for you.

I tend to pick lessons where I want to work on a specific technique, I might only pick out a part of the lesson and concentrate on that rather than learning the whole thing. smile.gif

Edit: just read Marcus`s reply and agree with him also, if your quiting the lesson the minute its slightly hard or takes a bit of work then yes thats not good, you need a large amount of self discipline to keep working at it.

This post has been edited by Smells: Oct 1 2008, 08:20 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 1 2008, 08:32 PM
Instructor
It is normal to take a break from one lesson and do another to give that techniques time to settle a bit. If you really like some lesson, you will try to tackle it at full speed, if you don't just learn what you are interested in and move on. Fortunately the choice is wide smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Oct 1 2008, 08:43 PM
I appreciate all your replys. I just get discouraged easily laugh.gif .

I often browse through the Insane Lessons, and Muris Advanced lessons and then get p*ssed when I cant play them right away.
So im going to go back and do something I should have done awhile ago.

Im going back to Kris's Alt. Picking lessons and Im going to build a strong foundation in AP and slowly work my way up to where I want to be.

I posted this when I was trying to play some of the 8 figer tapping lessons, just too hard laugh.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Oct 1 2008, 09:01 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Oct 1 2008, 03:43 PM) *
I appreciate all your replys. I just get discouraged easily laugh.gif .

I often browse through the Insane Lessons, and Muris Advanced lessons and then get p*ssed when I cant play them right away.
So im going to go back and do something I should have done awhile ago.

Im going back to Kris's Alt. Picking lessons and Im going to build a strong foundation in AP and slowly work my way up to where I want to be.

I posted this when I was trying to play some of the 8 figer tapping lessons, just too hard laugh.gif

Trust me. I know how you feel about getting pissed when I cant play them right away.

One thing I have learned since being here. "If you build it, it will come.: smile.gif
You dont build a house starting at the roof. You have to have a solid foundation.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Oct 1 2008, 11:02 PM
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Oct 1 2008, 12:01 PM) *
Trust me. I know how you feel about getting pissed when I cant play them right away.

One thing I have learned since being here. "If you build it, it will come.: smile.gif
You dont build a house starting at the roof. You have to have a solid foundation.

Yeah Im starting to figure that out lol biggrin.gif

(Field of Dreams reference? ) lol

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 1 2008, 11:16 PM
Learning Roadie
hi there, eat sleep & jam, i wish i had advice for you, but i,m too stubborn too move on until i get it to sound like it suppose to, that,s why i won,t try anything too hard that might be beyond my own level of playing, but stick with it i,m sure you can do it !!!!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 1 2008, 11:44 PM
Instructor
I know what you mean guys, it's tough to pick one lesson over other - there is so many of them , different levels techniques styles solos - so many things to learn really.

I would suggest using couple of things when picking lessons :

1) Sound - you obviously need to like it in order to play it biggrin.gif
2) Difficulty - pick ones that are technical , ones that are melodic, ones that are rhythmic etc - pick anything that you can learn from. Also pick ones that you feel you can play straight away,ones that you need some extra work and the ones that you feel you won't be able to do in a while! This will help you to have short and long term goals when practicing it will just motivate you further to improve!
3) Technique - pick lessons by technique (alternate, legato , sweep , tapping etc) so that you can focus on specific area where you want to improve.

Overall its awesome to play shred lessons but please don't let Muris or any other teacher discourage you with their lesson. After all you guys have 5 backing tracks and they are there to help you move the tempos.
As Coffeeman mentioned you need to work trough it - it won't happen straight away.
Having said all this , some things will definitely be easier than others , that's why I think it would be great if you created balance of things when picking your lessons.

Don't forget to enjoy your practice as well as play time. After all we play music to make as happy and enjoy the idea of sharing it with others !

Hope this helps smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Oct 1 2008, 11:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Oct 2 2008, 01:06 AM
Jazz Instructor
Well, my advice is to: Decide to practice one whole lesson, again and again till it's perfect, and in the same time, you can jump around with others. Just commit to that one lesson, say to your self: "I can jump around as much as I want, as long as I'am practicing this one". I think that you are genuinely interested in learning, so you cannot settle. Little discipline will solve the problem. If you try to practice simultaneously 3-4 lessons, it simply want work.

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 2 2008, 01:34 AM
QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ Oct 1 2008, 05:06 PM) *
Well, my advice is to: Decide to practice one whole lesson, again and again till it's perfect, and in the same time, you can jump around with others. Just commit to that one lesson, say to your self: "I can jump around as much as I want, as long as I'am practicing this one". I think that you are genuinely interested in learning, so you cannot settle. Little discipline will solve the problem. If you try to practice simultaneously 3-4 lessons, it simply want work.

I have the same exact problem - I feel like I can't even do a level 2 - I get bored easily and move on. I am not sure if I had a wrong starting point, but I would think that learning just one technique in isolation for your whole practice time is not right either - Like just Alternate picking by itself isn't going to get you there.

Don't most private guitar teacher leassons work on 2 or 3 things simultaneously, to mix it up a bit.

At this point I have been stuck on this issue, and have not been doing anything related to GMC because of it

I need help to get me back on track.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 2 2008, 01:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Oct 2 2008, 02:34 AM) *
I have the same exact problem - I feel like I can't even do a level 2 - I get bored easily and move on. I am not sure if I had a wrong starting point, but I would think that learning just one technique in isolation for your whole practice time is not right either - Like just Alternate picking by itself isn't going to get you there.

Don't most private guitar teacher leassons work on 2 or 3 things simultaneously, to mix it up a bit.

At this point I have been stuck on this issue, and have not been doing anything related to GMC because of it

I agree with you to a certain extent. Practicing and focusing on one thing can be one beneficial for your style, sound and improvement. Maybe you are bad at Bending, so that's something you should definitely do by it self and then apply it with regular licks. But , on the other side like you said, its very important that your practice routine consists of different things so you don't get bored or loose interest quick! This I have seen especially with beginner students a lot - I always give them new and fresh approach so that they can keep working and improving.
So what can you do about it?
Write down things that you feel are important for your style of playing. If you are still unsure about that, then work on things that you need improvement on.
Bending, Alternate, Legato, Tapping, Sweep picking, Economy picking, Travis picking, Finger style, Pinched harmonics, Natural harmonics, L.H. muting, R.H. muting etc
Find lessons here at GMC that use the techniques that you need to work on.
Be careful when choosing difficulty level! Some instructors might have difficulty 5 of 10 or 8 of 10 , but lessons might be lot easier then they look on "first look".
So I would do that (depending on how much time a day/week I have for practicing) - pick different lessons with different techniques , practice with backing tracks slowly, then increase tempos and learn from every lesson as much as possible. Sometimes you might feel you can't do the lesson something might be missing for you - well look no further , we are here to help you guys, if you have any questions about any lessons just ask - don't feel bad about asking by all means.

Hope this helped you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 2 2008, 08:29 AM
Instructor
No worries ESJ,we all get into similar situations here and there,
and 8 finger tapping isn't easiest thing to do for sure.
Just keep practicing with focus,no matter what you're practicing,
one or ten lessons at the same time. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Oct 2 2008, 11:35 AM
Jazz Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Oct 2 2008, 02:34 AM) *

Yes I agree, but get saerious about that ONE, just one, and play other stuff as much as you want, for fun.
One by one. If you have practice sessions, that is different, you will mix it a bit, but as far as examples are concerned, learn them perfectly, and move on.

And DON'T be organized so much, it's wrong. You play guitar because you enjoy, so relax. Don't practice 5 hours daily. Practice one hour, another 4 hours play the music you like, licks, solos, whole compositions, soemthing you enjoy. So basically, you are progressing, but in a relaxed manner. One hour of technique session daily is much, if you do it right, with metronome, slow. Don't underestimate that. Rare are the students who practice slow and disciplined, and those who do, progress in the speed of light. Problem for most guitarist, especially beginners, is that they want to play Satriani in 2 days. Guess what, it won't happen. Impossible. i remember when I begun playing the guitar, after one year, I thought I can play Malmsteen and Petrucci. What a fool I was. I looked silly. All notes were wrong, imprecise, all wrong, but I was convinced that everything is perfect.

Really, playing the guitar requires certain commitment, it takes discipline, patience. No shortcuts.

Be persistent. You will make lot of mistakes in your guitar carrier, and you will fix them, and you'll get better and better.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Oct 2 2008, 11:58 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Taking a break from a lesson is no problem, actually it can even be a good thing to focus on something else for a while and then come back to the original lesson. The only thing you should not do of course is just give up on a lesson as soon as it gets hard, take it as a challenge, but feel free to take breaks in between.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Oct 2 2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks gus. smile.gif The way I see it is, If I first build good technique, the harder lessons well also become easier. biggrin.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Oct 2 2008, 12:53 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Oct 1 2008, 06:02 PM) *
Yeah Im starting to figure that out lol biggrin.gif

(Field of Dreams reference? ) lol

Thanks. I couldn't remember the movie! laugh.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
kjutte
Oct 3 2008, 01:57 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Oct 1 2008, 09:03 PM) *

That's good. The goal isn't to copy, remember! it's to learn different styles and techniques - and steal licks smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:24 PM