Coverting My Floyed Rose To Hardtail
JOhn
Aug 8 2007, 10:03 AM
GMC:er
floyed roses are a pain and i barely ever use mine so im wondering if it would be hard to covert it to a hardtail.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JOhn: Aug 8 2007, 10:06 AM

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
MickeM
Aug 8 2007, 10:22 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (JOhn @ Aug 8 2007, 11:03 AM) *
floyed roses are a pain and i barely ever use mine so im wondering if it would be hard to covert it to a hardtail.

Yes, easy and cheap.

* Open the back cover of your guitar, keep the tremolo aligned to the body (i.e in tune)

* Measure the distance between the metal (where springs attach) and the back wooden "wall"

* Cut a block of wood and put it there, between the metal and the "wall"

* Measure the other side, cut a block of wood to put there, squeeze it in place.

Now your construction should be sturdy, movement of the tremolo should not be possible. Don't be afraid if you have to squeeze the wooden block into place using a tiny bit of force. That just means it will really be in place and you shouldn't have any gaps.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JOhn
Aug 8 2007, 10:26 AM
do i have to take out the springs in the back?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 8 2007, 10:29 AM
QUOTE (JOhn @ Aug 8 2007, 11:26 AM) *
do i have to take out the springs in the back?

yes, if you want to be locked both ways.

+Quote Post
JOhn
Aug 8 2007, 10:31 AM
also what do you mean by other side?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 8 2007, 10:32 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 8 2007, 11:29 AM) *
yes, if you want it to be locked both ways.
And I'm confident you want that.

QUOTE (JOhn @ Aug 8 2007, 11:31 AM) *
also what do you mean by other side?

You have to lock the metal block from moving either way. That means you should put a piece of wood behind it but also in front of it.

I'm taking a picture now, hold on.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 8 2007, 10:50 AM
I'd try RED first. At least the right most "arrow" piece of wood must be there.

Yellow and blue are just a couple of different ideas in case RED doesn't work for you.

now I have to go away for an hour or more. I'll check in later

The YELLOW could of course be extended all the way to the wall if you remove the spring holder and solder a new earth.
Maybe you come up with another solution. Everything works as long as it works smile.gif

Oh, and the wood you see in my trem is on the upper side since i'm working a bit on the tremolo I locked it down (it has no strings and no saddles attached atm)

Attached Image

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 8 2007, 10:53 AM

+Quote Post
JOhn
Aug 8 2007, 10:54 AM
thanks for the help but i do have a question answer it whenever you have the time smile.gif

so i only place it in red and it should work right? but if i was to put it every where you said i could would it give better results?

and i take out the strings and put a block of wood in there right?

thanks again smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 8 2007, 12:07 PM
Great job explaining MickM biggrin.gif
Correct me if im wrong Mick.What the block is doing is stoping your bridge from moving thus making it a hardtail.The floyd is also know as a floating bridge because it can move up and down.Putting the block there stops the floating and thus keeps it locked in like a hardtail.If im wrong sorry and someone will correct me but, i see that you were still trying to understand how this works and figured i would try to help. smile.gif Good luck with it you'll get it

Shredmandan

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Francis Viviers
Aug 8 2007, 12:17 PM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 8 2007, 01:07 PM) *
Great job explaining MickM biggrin.gif
Correct me if im wrong Mick.What the block is doing is stoping your bridge from moving thus making it a hardtail.The floyd is also know as a floating bridge because it can move up and down.Putting the block there stops the floating and thus keeps it locked in like a hardtail.If im wrong sorry and someone will correct me but, i see that you were still trying to understand how this works and figured i would try to help. smile.gif Good luck with it you'll get it

Shredmandan

Yeah it sounds about right, you can easily just make the floyed go one way only. So you can easily detune to drop D etc.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 8 2007, 01:58 PM
QUOTE (JOhn @ Aug 8 2007, 11:54 AM) *
thanks for the help but i do have a question answer it whenever you have the time smile.gif

so i only place it in red and it should work right? but if i was to put it every where you said i could would it give better results?

and i take out the strings and put a block of wood in there right?

thanks again smile.gif

Just the red spots would do, that's how I would do it.

I never did this myself but this is what I would do. Don't remove the strings, just loosen them, put the tremolo arm in so you can pull the bridge back and forth. Revove as many springs you need (i think I'd keep one or two while working on this). Cut a wooden piece that would fit to the left in the picture. Put it in place. Put all the springs back for tension.
Now you can still divebomb laugh.gif
Cut a pice that would fit to the right, an exact fit! Squeeze it in and you're good to go.

+Quote Post
JOhn
Aug 10 2007, 10:01 AM
last question i promise then ill leave you alone laugh.gif

If i were not the take out the springs would it still be a pain to change the strings?
and if not ill just take them out and put a block of wood there to stop it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 10 2007, 11:09 AM
QUOTE (JOhn @ Aug 10 2007, 11:01 AM) *
last question i promise then ill leave you alone laugh.gif

If i were not the take out the springs would it still be a pain to change the strings?
and if not ill just take them out and put a block of wood there to stop it.

I'm not sure I understand the question.
I never did this myself but if I were I'd have both the wood AND the springs. The wood keeps the tremolo from moving sideways. The springs are pulling the tremolo downwards so to keep it in place I'd absolutely keep them.

+Quote Post
JOhn
Aug 10 2007, 11:28 AM
oh i see but the main reason im doing this is because changing the strings and every thing is a pain to do. So if i get you right if i left the springs in place it shouldn't make much difference when i change the strings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 10 2007, 11:37 AM
Lets go fishing!
I think im definatly buying a hardtail next ! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 10 2007, 03:53 PM
QUOTE (JOhn @ Aug 10 2007, 12:28 PM) *
oh i see but the main reason im doing this is because changing the strings and every thing is a pain to do. So if i get you right if i left the springs in place it shouldn't make much difference when i change the strings.

Wooden pieces + springs = Hardtail

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:19 AM