Hobo Blues Collab, UPLOADS & COMMENTS
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2010, 08:10 PM
Instructor
here you can post your takes for the collab! smile.gif

here's the main topic with backing track
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry467318

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Mar 11 2010, 09:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Here's my take :

Attached File  Hobo_Blues.mp3 ( 1.14MB ) Number of downloads: 257

I used my strat + Guitar Rig 4 with a custom tone + Ableton Live, that's all ! smile.gif
The tone is a compressor, cat disto, spring reverb and quad delay on a High White amp and cabinet.

There are a few timing problem as always. tongue.gif

Hope you'll like it anyway...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
OzRob
Mar 12 2010, 05:17 AM
GMC:er
Bah humbug! mad.gif

I can't get a take I'm happy with but I know why. I'm using a scale I'm just not familiar with: pentatonic blues (with some additional notes here and there) Because of that, my fingers aren't real sure where to go next so that results in problems with bending to pitch, improvising runs and timing (I stop to think about the next note resulting in missing beats).

<mp3 deleted to make room for final take>

This post has been edited by OzRob: Mar 24 2010, 07:43 AM

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Mar 12 2010, 08:35 AM
Learning Roadie
Here's my take.. open to any criticism. I had fun with this backing track... it's so chill!

This post has been edited by earman: Mar 24 2010, 10:18 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  HoboBluesBrandonEarman.mp3 ( 1.14MB ) Number of downloads: 197
Attached File  HoboBluesBrandonEarmanNoBT.mp3 ( 1.14MB ) Number of downloads: 237

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix

+Quote Post
JamesT
Mar 15 2010, 06:29 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok, here's my take...
I hope you like it.

Man, Ivan, after listening to this backing track for a while, you realize how nicely done it is. The sound is just fantastic.

Attached File  20100314_IvansHoboBlues_wbt.mp3 ( 2.85MB ) Number of downloads: 267

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Mar 18 2010, 09:01 PM
I really, really enjoyed doing this collab and thanks so much for this great backtrack.
I´m with JamesT all the way - I sure will be using this backtrack after this collab to further improve my "soulful playing" skills. wink.gif

I´m also putting here all the things I tried to achieve BEFORE I get your feedback - so maybe you can judge even better if I could meet your AND my expectations:
-) Focus on vibrato & correct bending
-) Focus on feel
-) Focus on nice, warm, "tube-y" sound all the way - let´s make this new guitar of mine sing
-) Focus on single notes instead of speedy (in my case also often "muddy" licks)

All of you are invited to give feedback of course

Thanks a lot for your time & effort!
Cheers

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Berglmir_HoboBlues_NBT.mp3 ( 1.34MB ) Number of downloads: 185
Attached File  Berglmir_HoboBlues_WBT.mp3 ( 1.66MB ) Number of downloads: 234

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 20 2010, 10:11 PM
Instructor
Keilnoth:

Rhythm: In this take, you played some very cool rhythmical phrases. The most effective way of using timing was when the chordal changes take place. However, you seem to get lost while one chord is lasting. Here I advise that you pay special care on the structure of your rhythmical improvisation. Try to analyze it, and see if you can come up with more convincing patterns that the listener can identify and recognize throughout the solo. It doesn't have to be difficult at all, often just a couple of notes will do, but you have to play them right. The lack of sustain doesn't help here, and I think you need that to connect all these phrases together to form a more fluid motion.
Phrasing: There are some very interesting ideas in this take, and I like your playing here. It has a nice sad vibe to it. Having said that, I think you can take your playing to the next level by introducing repetition and phrase building in your playing. It is a very simple, but very effective concept, and it basically means that once you play a good phrase, it may be wise to repeat it, develop it, alter it a bit, and keep the phrase flowing and evolving within the solo. This sounds much more appealing and logical to the listener already.
Technique: Gentle way of playing goes along well with this backing track. Bends are decent, and playing in general is not bad at all. What lacks here the most is vibrato. Vibrato is effect that should be applied very often over this kind of a track, on almost every note where you stop for a moment, there should be a vibrato. So my advice would be to start implementing it in your playing, cause it can only sound great with it, once you get used to it.
Sound: Reverb depth is big but goes along nicely with this track. CHoosing Hiwatt emulation is a good thing, I use that one myself often, but bare in mind that one doesn't have too much sustain, and it is not a forgiving model. What comes in, comes out, specially if you add the Cat on top of it, which will make it even more cranky. However, it was a nice tone, a bit thin and cold, but cool for this track. Bare in mind that the guitar sound was a bit quieter than needed, so possibly more louder mix would be even better.

OzRob:

Rhythm: You had some nice spots in the solo, where the chord progression is changing, where you kept one note going for long periods of time. On this kind of a track, those longer periods are very important - wetter they are long notes or long pauses. So, to make things better and more simple, I recommend that you think about implementing some more pauses, and throwing out groups of notes that don't really hold that big function within the solo. Less is more usually, so making 2 pauses and 3 effective notes can be lot more effective than 12 notes. It is my opinion that you need to practice exactly the use of small number of notes and pauses to develop these skills.
Phrasing: Similar to rhythm, there are some elements, specially in the parts where the chords change, that are good. The rest is pretty blurred and unstructured. I think there is room here for improvement as well. Try to work out a phrase, a melody, and build that melody, build with notes around it, and stick to simple scale for beginning, like pentatonic, dorian, or blues scale. Use some arpeggio as well, but stick to 4-5 notes to build a cool melody, and don't be afraid to sing it and repeat it then. This will be a lot more effective.
Technique: I like the fact you used vibrato, and some bends as well. As you said, vibrato needs more work (it needs to be even). Also, you should pay special attention to muting. I heard lots of string noise here that spoiled the impression a bit of a good solo.
Sound: Sound is fine as far as I'm concerned. It is scooped, so this is why it doesn't comes out, and the ammount of ovedrive is a bit too much as well, cause it compressed the signal and killed dynamics. If you want to upgrade this tone: raise the mids +(2-3)dB @ 500-750Hz, and cut down the distortion so it almost kills sustain (not quite, but almost, you'll know what I mean when you find it).

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 25 2010, 08:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ukyo
Mar 21 2010, 12:28 PM
Here's my recording. Any criticism or comment is well appreciated.
Thanks for this beautiful backing track, I really enjoyed to play on it.

Note: And I couldn't prevent myself from playing licks similar to Pink Floyd smile.gif

Attached File  blues_gmc_wb.mp3 ( 2.32MB ) Number of downloads: 214
Attached File  blues_gmc_nb.mp3 ( 2.32MB ) Number of downloads: 188

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 22 2010, 10:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi buddy! This is my take, rather than play the usual blues-licks I tried to play like a more "over the chord" concept here, as well as trying to do some melodic stuff out of it.....

Recorded with just my Suhr & Deluxe clone with some delay & reverb added.

//Staffay

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Ivan_Blues_NoBT_1.mp3 ( 1.7MB ) Number of downloads: 170
Attached File  Ivan_Blues_wBT.mp3 ( 1.7MB ) Number of downloads: 203

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
OzRob
Mar 24 2010, 07:40 AM
Ok, love all you guys work but I just don't 'feel' very dry tones, so if you think the reverb is heavy, wait until bar 5. Sorry 'bout that - just call it "industrial doom blues". mellow.gif

Stuck with pentatonic blues scale for most of it with some occasional blurs into Natural Minor.

'Tis what it is. I welcome feedback huh.gif

I hope to get a more dry take before the end of the month: less reverb, less OD.

This post has been edited by OzRob: Mar 24 2010, 07:52 AM

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Mar 24 2010, 04:04 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (OzRob @ Mar 24 2010, 01:40 AM) *
just call it "industrial doom blues". mellow.gif

I liked it haha.. sounded uniquely deep and dark.

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 24 2010, 06:42 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
So, I've been waiting for quite some time to upload or even record something. But today was the day: the sun was shining, the temperature was rising, and for no particular reason I felt a bit sad and empty. Felt like the best mood to record a blues!
I used my Oakland guitar (bridge pick-up) through a V-amp 3 (amp modulation was a british blues with a bit of gain, reverb and tremolo).
Hope you like it.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  blues_collab_wbt.mp3 ( 2.86MB ) Number of downloads: 218
Attached File  blues_collab_nobt.mp3 ( 2.86MB ) Number of downloads: 186

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
JamesT
Mar 24 2010, 08:58 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Mar 24 2010, 10:42 AM) *
So, I've been waiting for quite some time to upload or even record something. But today was the day: the sun was shining, the temperature was rising, and for no particular reason I felt a bit sad and empty. Felt like the best mood to record a blues!
I used my Oakland guitar (bridge pick-up) through a V-amp 3 (amp modulation was a british blues with a bit of gain, reverb and tremolo).
Hope you like it.

Great mood to you take man. I like it.

That reminds me, it looks like everyone has posted dry tracks/takes here. Ivan, do you need these? If so, I'll update my posting.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 24 2010, 09:07 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi James,
thanks a lot, glad you like it.
Ivan will need your dry take to create the final mix, in the collab guidelines it says that one should upload two versions, one with and one without the backing track.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Mar 25 2010, 06:27 PM
sorry - wrong answer to wrong feedback!
Final feedback below!
Cheers

This post has been edited by Berglmir: Mar 25 2010, 09:50 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 25 2010, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Brandon:

Rhythm: In contrast to Ozrob's playing, your take had a bit too big pauses between the phrases in the first part. In the second part, the pauses were not an issue, but timing was. Although this kind of a track is syncopation-friendly, you must learn to play dead on the beat in order to achieve any kind of syncopation effect on the notes.
Phrasing: What can be problematic with the way you play is that melodic information isn't present. Licks and phrases are scattered without any structure or connection between them. In those situations if you don't know what to do, my best advice for you is to find a simple melody, repeat it several times, and do variations of it. This is how you will acquire necessary phrasing skills in relatively small amount of time. But be aware - in order for this practice to have it's full potential, you must learn the diatonic pattern over the neck very well.
Technique: There is a sense for dynamics within you, and the contrast between the first part of the solo and second one proves that. However, you lack technical ability to play faster passages. Try to make your fretting and picking more steady by practicing runs up & down with metronome, it will help tighten those fingers a bit.
Sound: Nice good clean sound, a bit muddy but good and well rounded. Reverb is nice too. Just the right amount of overdrive, I think everything was nice except I would added a bit more presence. Just a personal preference tho..

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 25 2010, 09:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 25 2010, 09:41 PM
Instructor
JamesT

Rhythm: You seem to have a solid understanding of the beat, and follow it nicely in highly syncopated manner. The thing with your take is that it is too syncopated, and there is hardly any anchor points where the notes can really relate to the kicking of the drum for instance. Although it is good to have this kind of non-structurized solo, there are certain places where it is good to accent the beat before your phrases go off.
Phrasing: By listening to you do your phrasing I can't help notice that it sounds repetitive. This is because several different movements with the pick have been rehearsed properly, and they are repeated over and over, in different positions and different pattern/shape. My advice to you is to start systematically go through various picking combinations so that you have more flexibility and ways to play something. Expanding lick vocabulary is a must too, so be sure to jamm some with the backing and make good licks. In the middle of the solo, there is a small improvisational attemp, you repeated the same lick several times, but altering the landing note. This kind of a method is well suited for improvisational exercise, so be sure to practice that as well on top of some simple backing with 1-3 chords. This is enhance your ability to use the licks you know in different situations.
Technique: As I said, more picking, more metronome practicing, arps, scales, chords. First the basics, then the rest. Bending/vibrato also needs work. Just take is step by step as always. There were also several whammy attempts, and although it sounded interesting, you need to tighten up that whammy a bit as well with the metronome.
Sound: Sound is pretty good, not a lot of reverb and delay, and amount of overdrive was OK. The tone was a bit flat tho.

Berglmir:

Rhythm: Excellent connection of the solo with the backing, and great rhythmical phrasing throughout. By listening your take one thing crosses my mind and that is fine-tuning. You have to fine tune all those little mistakes you have made, make timing corrections and just tighten up your take, specially the last part. There were syncopated moments in the solo, but I think in some times, specially in the middle, the solo was too connected with the drums. I think a more loosier form would do better.
Phrasing: Phrasing was very good and melodic. In order to achieve greater level of playing, you should practice more arpeggios and big horizontal movements. Every time you make an attempt to play something fast, it ends up with one familiar phrase that is usually somewhere in the pentatonic region. Try to expand your vocabulary of faster passages on other positions as well, and try to work on melody building more. Although the solo was melodic, little attention was made to the actual melodic flow, and more on the landing notes themselves.
Technique: Very well bending/vibrato control, coupled with good dynamic picking will always spawn a good result. Your playing was good, and I suggest you tighten up your picking hand a bit, it seems that there lies the problem. Try practicing some AP runs for a while to overcome that.
Sound: Sound was very good throughout the solo, with a cool dark vibe to it. The second part had slightly unnatural sound than the first one, possibly some other effect was brought in, but in overall it sounded good to my ears.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Mar 25 2010, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 25 2010, 09:41 PM) *
Berglmir:

Rhythm: Excellent connection of the solo with the backing, and great rhythmical phrasing throughout. By listening your take one thing crosses my mind and that is fine-tuning. You have to fine tune all those little mistakes you have made, make timing corrections and just tighten up your take, specially the last part. There were syncopated moments in the solo, but I think in some times, specially in the middle, the solo was too connected with the drums. I think a more loosier form would do better.
Phrasing: Phrasing was very good and melodic. In order to achieve greater level of playing, you should practice more arpeggios and big horizontal movements. Every time you make an attempt to play something fast, it ends up with one familiar phrase that is usually somewhere in the pentatonic region. Try to expand your vocabulary of faster passages on other positions as well, and try to work on melody building more. Although the solo was melodic, little attention was made to the actual melodic flow, and more on the landing notes themselves.
Technique: Very well bending/vibrato control, coupled with good dynamic picking will always spawn a good result. Your playing was good, and I suggest you tighten up your picking hand a bit, it seems that there lies the problem. Try practicing some AP runs for a while to overcome that.
Sound: Sound was very good throughout the solo, with a cool dark vibe to it. The second part had slightly unnatural sound than the first one, possibly some other effect was brought in, but in overall it sounded good to my ears.

Thank you very much for the feedback (see above) smile.gif
Everything you said I can understand and relate to - great feedback and I´m SO happy that you seem to be satisfied with my vibrato efforts.
SO looking forward to your next collab - so much room to improve myself! smile.gif
Thanks again - I´m quite happy now!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 25 2010, 09:56 PM
Instructor
No problem, glad to help in any way mate! Nice playing indeed! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OzRob
Mar 26 2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks Ivan, I see now that earlier comments were for me, not Berg. smile.gif

Ps. I still want to achieve a drier take by end of the month. It's difficult for me as I don't relate well to dry tone so it's a personal challenge.

This post has been edited by OzRob: Mar 26 2010, 12:17 AM

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:59 PM