Octaves Can Not Be Adjusted
petr
Jul 28 2014, 01:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys,
I have reached the end point with the nut for octave adjustment but the tone is still too high. How this can be solved, would new strings help?
tx Petr

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 28 2014, 06:25 PM
GMC:er
I'm assuming you mean that the intonation is still 'sharp' on the strings where the bridge saddles are adjusted all the way back(?).

New strings may help.
What's the make and model of the guitar?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
petr
Jul 28 2014, 09:55 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 28 2014, 06:25 PM) *
I'm assuming you mean that the intonation is still 'sharp' on the strings where the bridge saddles are adjusted all the way back(?).

New strings may help.
What's the make and model of the guitar?

Yes exactly, it is still sharp. It is Gibson LP

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 29 2014, 12:27 PM
Hi Petr,
Can you take a closer picture of the saddle that you're talking about please? From that picture I'm guessing that you're talking about your 'G' string?
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
petr
Jul 31 2014, 10:24 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Jones,
yes you are right, it is the G string. Also the E string is on the end but this one has the correct pitch.
I will change the strings and will see.
tx Petr

Attached Image

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 29 2014, 12:27 PM) *
Hi Petr,
Can you take a closer picture of the saddle that you're talking about please? From that picture I'm guessing that you're talking about your 'G' string?
smile.gif

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Jul 31 2014, 12:31 PM
my advice is to take it to a licensed luthier, ask him to adjust your intonation, and ask him to let you watch. adjusting the saddles can be tricky without enough experience. by watching him do it, you'll have a better understanding of the component parts of your guitar. good luck to you.

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 31 2014, 03:51 PM
QUOTE (petr @ Jul 31 2014, 10:24 AM) *
Hi Jones,
yes you are right, it is the G string. Also the E string is on the end but this one has the correct pitch.
I will change the strings and will see.
tx Petr

Hi Petr, I'd definitely recommend changing the strings first and make sure they are well stretched in!
Whilst you have the strings off screw the saddle back to the other side of the Bridge and use that as your starting point. When adjusting the intonation on these types of bridges a small 1/4 - 1/2 a turn can make a big difference as you have a shorter scale neck. Keep checking with a Tuner, your open string, then fretted at the 12th fret and then the 12th fret Harmonic, all three should ring a true G. If you're not too confident of doing it then I'd suggest taking it to your local repair guy/Tech.
If you take your time and move the saddle by small increments each time you should be fine!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:26 PM