How Long Were U Playing?, (before u knew it was time to be in a band )
slash85
Apr 23 2007, 07:53 AM
GMC:er
Gday mates,

ive been playing guitar for just over a year now and can play a few songs....ive noticed a lot of people here on gmc had started to be in a band at around this time little bit more little bit less....my questions are to all who want to answer are:

1. How long were u playing (seriously or not) before u joined a band?
2. How did u know it was time to join a band?
3. Did u know many songs before u joined a band?
4. Could u play them songs perfectly before u joined a band?
5. When u did gigs did u make mistakes or any little stuff ups?

Im just asking these questions because ive been playing for a year now and i dont actually feel confident to be able to perform well in a band....... its quite funny actually coz i have these dreams some nights where im in a band in front of this massive crowd and not even knowing a song and getting booed off stage fair dinkum its actually incredibly scary for me i wake up thinkn shit that was just a dream blink.gif .......... , when it comes to guitar im pretty patient because i know one day im going to be good, im paranoid that everything has to be perfect when u start out in a group and i guess i kinda feel im bein left behind sometimes when people join bands only after a year of playing and it makes me wonder about how good they must be to be able to do that, or is it just that they arent that good but they are taking another step to further their experience and learn more even though they arent playing perfectly...i dont know...the main question for me is how do u know when to join a band because i have no idea how good i have to be to start a band and that is my goal one day .....im very interested to hear everyones story because it may just give me the confidence i need to start one in the near future.

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spdalton
Apr 23 2007, 10:03 AM

Short answer:
1. 1 and a half years
2. Friend asked me if I was interested. He couldn't play drums and so started learning as soon as the band started and now he is pretty good.
3. No
4. No
5. Yes

Long answer:
Getting into a band at any time is great! You answered you're own question a bit in that post,
or is it just that they arent that good but they are taking another step to further their experience and learn more even though they arent playing perfectly

That's pretty much exactly what I did.
After a being in a band for a while my skills have greatly improved, not just in technically ability but especially in improvising.
Besides getting better it is also heaps of fun.

If you have any friends (or know anyone) that plays another instrument then just ask them if they want to start a band and you might be suprised at the results.

After playing covers for a few months we got to know how each other played a bit better (we were already friends so that wasn't a problem) and then we started coming up with our own songs and now thats pretty much all we do.

As far as screwing up while performing, it's not actually that bad. Most people wouldn't notice if you just keep on playing. And generally once you've screwed up a part of a song once, you won't do it again (hopefully because you've practiced that bit til it's perfect).

Short answer again:
You can't start a band whenever you want so go for it! You won't regret it.
As for screwing up, the hard part is the anxiety before you start. Once you get going then its smooth sailing.

Hope this helped.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by spdalton: Apr 24 2007, 01:52 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 23 2007, 10:53 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I joined my first (and still active) of coincidence in -96. Some ppl happened to know I was playing the guitar and they needed a guitarist. Today we listen to a song once, nail it and have enough time to rehearse an entire set list.
My second band started -06, that music is a bit more complicated. Last rehearsal we spent the entire session on one song, to get all tiny little details in the right places.

QUOTE (slash85 @ Apr 23 2007, 08:53 AM) *

I first picked up the guitar at -90 and joined my first band in -96.

Never though of it like that, it just seemd like a lot of fun.

A few, but I don't think I ever played an entire song from start to end before. I just picked out the cherries like cool intros and stuff. I mostly was improvising, goofing around with scales doing my own stuff (which if I look back today wasn't very good). And lots of blues. I always favoured the cherries, I made a long mix on a cassett tape with only the guitar intro from Neon Knights (from album Live Evil), where the distorted guitar set in, and I made it like 10 minutes weith the same 5 seconds of heavy guitars repeating over and over again. Corny but sooo cool :-)

No. Everyone had different musical preferences but we all met somehere in the 70's rock era.

I've always had a few beers before a gig and that makes my playing flawless. rolleyes.gif
At the end of a gig I can just cross my fingers hoping the audience is more drunk than I am cool.gif
I make mistakes, less today than in the beginning, and what it's about it to be secure enough with the song and confident about your playing and just pick up from where it went wrong and continue to play.

It is rather important to know the song and to be confident in playing. No hesitation or "hiding" behind the others. One band member will be depending on your tone. Bass and drums work together, guitar rests on their beat and one might think that the guitar can just noodle around but the vocalist is actually counting on you to deliver a tone that he/she can take support from to find his/her tone.

And I think you should join a band, I'm positive there are lots of ppl out there in your situation - have been playing for a year, knows a little bit here and there but definitly lacks some skill.
Being in a band is the best school you can think of! Sure backing tracks and metronomes are useful but a band is the real deal. You'd become twice as good a player in no time.

Just go for it!

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 23 2007, 03:59 PM
-About 1 month.
I had a friend that played bass that asked me to join with him and a drummer.
I only knew a couple of iron maiden intros and some other stuff.
NO!
Of course, I still do today. Not big mistakes though, maybe I hit an extra strings here and there, no big deal.

+Quote Post
Bitey
Apr 23 2007, 05:10 PM
1. How long were u playing (seriously or not) before u joined a band? About half a year.

2. How did u know it was time to join a band? Well that is a good question. I suppose I got sick of just hearing me play and no background music to go with it.

3. Did u know many songs before u joined a band? One or two, I don't really try to learn songs from other people just certain parts that help me with improvising, or they help improve my finger skills.

4. Could u play them songs perfectly before u joined a band? lol oh no way.

5. When u did gigs did u make mistakes or any little stuff ups? Yeah who doesn't? I mean look at dragonforce lol. Not to make them seem horrible but everyone does were all humans.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 24 2007, 11:39 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (slash85 @ Apr 23 2007, 02:53 AM) *

1. 4 years total, 2 years seriously
2. I started to write stuff i thought was pretty cool + me and my friends wanted to kill some time
3. Dont mean to boast or anything, but yeah...
4. about 3/4 of them i knew really really well, including solos and stuff, the other 1/4 i knew tidbits of
5. of course

The again, i know people who join bands after playing for only a year and can only play a few songs, i think mine just came later cause i dont know many people who listen to the same music i do.

+Quote Post
Bitey
Apr 25 2007, 05:49 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 24 2007, 05:39 PM) *
1. 4 years total, 2 years seriously
2. I started to write stuff i thought was pretty cool + me and my friends wanted to kill some time
3. Dont mean to boast or anything, but yeah...
4. about 3/4 of them i knew really really well, including solos and stuff, the other 1/4 i knew tidbits of
5. of course

The again, i know people who join bands after playing for only a year and can only play a few songs, i think mine just came later cause i dont know many people who listen to the same music i do.

I am having the same problem right now. Most people I know don't have any exprience and the ones who do that I jam with sometimes are already in a band, I can't stand them, or we have different taste in music.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 25 2007, 07:27 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Yeah just recently i met some kids who like the same music, and have more than a few years experience, we usually jam out and what not, and if they need me to, i play guitar for them at a gig if a second guitar is needed.

Just go to some local shows and check out the people there, never know who you will meet.

+Quote Post
Iscariott
Apr 27 2007, 11:09 PM
I have an inverse question. Has anyone here been in a band and felt they really werent ready?

(going through a personal music crisis at the moment i guess, figured i'd ask)

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 27 2007, 11:48 PM
We decided to start a band and then bought the instruments. We literally couldn't play squat. We went on to do alright and sell a little vinyl back in the day. So, I guess my answer is that it is never too early.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:14 AM