Tosin Abasi - Egad!
Todd Simpson
Oct 11 2012, 10:29 PM
GMC:er
For anyone who hasn't yet heard the blistering force of nature named Tosin Abasi ( I'd be shocked though if you hadn't) here is a quick vid to share some spiff. His band (Animals as Leaders) is borderline Mental/Funk/Djent/Djazz.

Observe not only the stunning composition, but staggering execution. Egad!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
vonhotch
Oct 12 2012, 03:32 AM
I'm not really into animals as leaders much, but I really do like to watch him play. He just throws in those jazz chords and the goes back to shreding so effortlessly. He's got such a great style.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
wollace03
Oct 12 2012, 07:30 AM
its amazing what he does with his 8 strings.... i am usually hardly able to control 6 of them.....

animals as leaders is to hectic for me

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Oct 12 2012, 08:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 11 2012, 11:29 PM) *
Egad!

Yeah, that's definetly the right word to use to describe this!
May have to check out more of him

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 12 2012, 09:39 AM
Instructor
Oh yeah, this guy has got nuts technique !!! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2012, 02:37 AM
QUOTE (wollace03 @ Oct 12 2012, 02:30 AM) *
its amazing what he does with his 8 strings.... i am usually hardly able to control 6 of them.....

animals as leaders is to hectic for me

It's pretty amazing I gotta say smile.gif The way he combines so many styles with so little apparent effort is pretty staggering. The blending of jazz/metal/funk/prog just nuts.

I"m not a HUGE fan of his band yet but I can seriously appreciate the guys ability. They music is so frenetic that i'm still trying to get my head around it. I love bits of it, some bits I honestly just don't get yet. But I"m gonna keep at it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 14 2012, 09:51 PM
Instructor
Everything is amazing, not only his technique also his tone and the overall mix. Maybe I'm a bit "closed minded" (in this way) but I always prefer 6 strings guitar, however, I love how this guy uses all those strings! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
BTrian
Oct 15 2012, 03:04 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 14 2012, 01:37 AM) *
It's pretty amazing I gotta say smile.gif The way he combines so many styles with so little apparent effort is pretty staggering. The blending of jazz/metal/funk/prog just nuts.

I"m not a HUGE fan of his band yet but I can seriously appreciate the guys ability. They music is so frenetic that i'm still trying to get my head around it. I love bits of it, some bits I honestly just don't get yet. But I"m gonna keep at it wink.gif

Feel quite similar bout this, technically top notch stuff, but I still can't enjoy the whole thing on repeat as I could with other records.
Quite strange problem I tend to have with many technical bands, most of the stuff is mindblowing on the first listens, but as soon as you figured out what's going on some parts only sound technical to me and it's harder to actually squeeze out music of that.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 15 2012, 03:50 AM
Bingo! smile.gif We are on the same page. The first pass is often the best pass it seems at this point for me. There is so much happening that sometimes is seems to overwhelm anything close to a melodic/thematic through line. I do hope that, as they continue, they will find a way to weave all this madness/technical prowess more closely with melodic elements to maybe create a more emotional connection between the listener and the music.

Todd

QUOTE (BTrian @ Oct 14 2012, 10:04 PM) *
Feel quite similar bout this, technically top notch stuff, but I still can't enjoy the whole thing on repeat as I could with other records.
Quite strange problem I tend to have with many technical bands, most of the stuff is mindblowing on the first listens, but as soon as you figured out what's going on some parts only sound technical to me and it's harder to actually squeeze out music of that.

+Quote Post
korblitz
Oct 15 2012, 09:57 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 14 2012, 08:51 PM) *
Everything is amazing, not only his technique also his tone and the overall mix. Maybe I'm a bit "closed minded" (in this way) but I always prefer 6 strings guitar, however, I love how this guy uses all those strings! smile.gif

No wonder then when you hear that Animal as Leaders has no bass player. Why would they? With an eight string guitar, there's no need for a bass player.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 15 2012, 02:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (korblitz @ Oct 15 2012, 05:57 AM) *
No wonder then when you hear that Animal as Leaders has no bass player. Why would they? With an eight string guitar, there's no need for a bass player.

Ah, I didn't knew that.... I have a similar feeling than the other guys about that band... I get bored soon...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 15 2012, 03:22 PM
Instructor
Great player indeed! But it's too much sometimes smile.gif Am I getting old?? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 16 2012, 06:25 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I can really appreciated his innovation. Its far more enjoyable for me to watch him perform the song than to hear on CD. I'm not always in the mood to hear his music but when I do I become hypnotized by it. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 17 2012, 09:37 PM
Bingo again smile.gif I really like to watch him play in vids and such. On Spotify, they are far less interesting to me as a band than they are on youtube where you can actually see their fingers moving.

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 16 2012, 01:25 PM) *
I can really appreciated his innovation. Its far more enjoyable for me to watch him perform the song than to hear on CD. I'm not always in the mood to hear his music but when I do I become hypnotized by it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 18 2012, 10:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 15 2012, 03:22 PM) *
Great player indeed! But it's too much sometimes smile.gif Am I getting old?? laugh.gif

I can see us having tea together at your house one day, surrounded by suits of Samurai armour and swords.. we're saying 'It's not like it was back in our day..' laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:02 AM