> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Adam M's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 17 2018, 03:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! Great idea sharing here everything you know about this concepts. It's a nice reference for us at the mentoring program!

By now, it seems that your theory is ahead your guitar playing so it's time to start to apply all that content into playing and real music.

On a side note, we can work on the Holiday collab here as well. It's a good excuse to practice Pentatonic major scale. So, you have two tasks here:

- Jam video over the blues backing track.
- Jam video over Holiday Collab Backing.

What do you say?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 17 2018, 05:05 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 17 2018, 03:32 PM) *
Hi Adam! Great idea sharing here everything you know about this concepts. It's a nice reference for us at the mentoring program!

By now, it seems that your theory is ahead your guitar playing so it's time to start to apply all that content into playing and real music.

On a side note, we can work on the Holiday collab here as well. It's a good excuse to practice Pentatonic major scale. So, you have two tasks here:

- Jam video over the blues backing track.
- Jam video over Holiday Collab Backing.

What do you say?

I think I nailed today's exams just fine, all that's left for now is my thesis which is less time-consuming. That means, I'll have more guitar practice time now.

I still have 3 basics lessons to turn in. About the Pentatonic practice, I'd even say we can do more: 1 track in minor and 1 track in major for each Collab. I'll also record arpeggiated version of Winter Collab. That's a lot of work, so I'm off to practice now! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 18 2018, 03:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 17 2018, 01:05 PM) *
I think I nailed today's exams just fine, all that's left for now is my thesis which is less time-consuming. That means, I'll have more guitar practice time now.

I still have 3 basics lessons to turn in. About the Pentatonic practice, I'd even say we can do more: 1 track in minor and 1 track in major for each Collab. I'll also record arpeggiated version of Winter Collab. That's a lot of work, so I'm off to practice now! smile.gif

Great!! Congrats on your exams mate!

The plan sounds good to me. Enjoy your practice and keep me updated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 22 2018, 06:14 AM
Learning Roadie
I came with another update. Much happened lately and not all of it was nice. It feels weird talking about it but I'll do my best to recover ASAP! A glass of whisky and a good sleep can work miracles. If the deadline for Collab is still 3 Jan, I could try submitting. I'll have some time in between work on 27/28, then 31th and 1st. Ideally I'll submit a take or two on the former and there'll be some time for re-take on the latter.

Edit: I took some time listening to Metallica for past 2 days. It's the best kind of therapy for me. I tried playing something my own over the backing track. I didn't check other's videos, so I wouldn't try to copy it subconsciously and then I realized I played something much similar to one of your demos from tips. Is this okay?

This post has been edited by Adam M: Dec 22 2018, 10:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 23 2018, 05:45 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam!

I'm sorry about the bad things happening. I hope that everything get better soon mate. smile.gif

Your solo over the backing track is very nice. Those are very tasty phrases and melodies. I'm happy to know that my video helped with some ideas and inspiration!

If you want to polish this one, you could put some focus on expression elements like dynamics, bending, and vibrato. But those are elements that we still have to work here. I would go for this take!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 23 2018, 07:28 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 23 2018, 05:45 PM) *
Hi Adam!

I'm sorry about the bad things happening. I hope that everything get better soon mate. smile.gif

Your solo over the backing track is very nice. Those are very tasty phrases and melodies. I'm happy to know that my video helped with some ideas and inspiration!

If you want to polish this one, you could put some focus on expression elements like dynamics, bending, and vibrato. But those are elements that we still have to work here. I would go for this take!

Thank you! It seems I needed 2 days to cool down a bit. It'll take some effort but hopefully things will work out fine soon.

I'd love to submit something more technical but I can't do it properly, so I chose to make it simple. I'm glad you like this take. I would go for this as well. I wasn't exactly in a mood for this and I'm happy I did this much at least.

It's not the last Collab, I believe, so I'll try working hard and improve until the next one is up. I'll try doing Bluesy one next.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 26 2018, 03:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 23 2018, 03:28 PM) *
Thank you! It seems I needed 2 days to cool down a bit. It'll take some effort but hopefully things will work out fine soon.

I'd love to submit something more technical but I can't do it properly, so I chose to make it simple. I'm glad you like this take. I would go for this as well. I wasn't exactly in a mood for this and I'm happy I did this much at least.

It's not the last Collab, I believe, so I'll try working hard and improve until the next one is up. I'll try doing Bluesy one next.

Wise thinking mate. Yes, this is not the last collab. You'll be proud of being part of this one and your take sounds good so why would you miss it?

Let's move forward! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 26 2018, 05:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 26 2018, 03:20 PM) *
Wise thinking mate. Yes, this is not the last collab. You'll be proud of being part of this one and your take sounds good so why would you miss it?

Let's move forward! smile.gif

I'll submit the audio files tomorrow after work. But I thought I could do something more here. I'll record arpeggios over the mix and then the lick I already posted again, twice. I was lucky to meet Andy James at GC where he was teaching home-recording basics. He said if you record a piece twice and pan one take to left and the other to right, it sounds like a wall of stacks or something like that. I want to give it a try and if it goes wrong, I still have my previous take to submit smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 27 2018, 04:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 26 2018, 01:15 PM) *
I'll submit the audio files tomorrow after work. But I thought I could do something more here. I'll record arpeggios over the mix and then the lick I already posted again, twice. I was lucky to meet Andy James at GC where he was teaching home-recording basics. He said if you record a piece twice and pan one take to left and the other to right, it sounds like a wall of stacks or something like that. I want to give it a try and if it goes wrong, I still have my previous take to submit smile.gif

That sounds good Adam! Collabs are a great opportunity to try and experiment with new things, so go for it!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 28 2018, 04:57 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 27 2018, 04:15 PM) *
That sounds good Adam! Collabs are a great opportunity to try and experiment with new things, so go for it!!

I've submitted the files in the Collab thread. I like the dual recording idea, turned out very nice. I also love the way one pattern becomes a background for another pattern. I could go on for another 5 minutes like this! I borrowed the idea from MF's Forbidden City. I want to play the whole piece one day! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 28 2018, 04:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 28 2018, 12:57 AM) *
I've submitted the files in the Collab thread. I like the dual recording idea, turned out very nice. I also love the way one pattern becomes a background for another pattern. I could go on for another 5 minutes like this! I borrowed the idea from MF's Forbidden City. I want to play the whole piece one day! biggrin.gif

Nice!! Thanks a lot Adam! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 1 2019, 07:09 PM
Learning Roadie
I thought I'd list all my equipment if we're to have lessons about finding the right tone smile.gif
2 guitars, both H-H pups. One has volume and tone for each pup, the other has master volume and tone + a varitone mod.
My amps are Kustom Arrow 16 DFX and Joyo Zombie.
As for stompboxes: Boss DS-1 with and without Keeley mods (I have 2), TS 808 based overdrive, Behringer 7-band eq which I don't use because of the hiss, Boss DD7, Artec Vintage Chorus and ISP Decimator I.

I have my guitar controls at 6-7, not 10, as most of the tutorials suggested. Kustom amp needs Treble at 6-8 or it's too muddy. I have lows at 5,5 and mids at 4-4,5. For Maiden's kind of tone I roll back lows to around 3 and mids up to 7. I also raised the amp from the floor, as Darius' suggests in his 20 Tips video. Now it's on a chair and there was a noticeable difference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 2 2019, 05:24 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! Nice set up mate! smile.gif

How do you record your guitar for videos?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 2 2019, 08:40 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 2 2019, 05:24 PM) *
Hi Adam! Nice set up mate! smile.gif

How do you record your guitar for videos?

Thank you! For GMC vids, I use my combo because Zombie is too far away - moving it and hi-fi speakers is impossible since they are big and there's not much space otherwise. The combo is on a chair that's about the same height as the tablet I use for recording. Currently I record both audio and video with it.

I ordered a custom 1x12 cab for the Zombie and it should be ready within a week. I thought this is the most important upgrade, since the current speakers could damage the amp's power section or get blown up by it. I had to use it with Phones Out, which is nice only with clean channel.
Next, I want to get the Scarlett 2i2 and maybe Shure 58 for mic'ing the stack sometime later. I still don't like the idea of digital modelling but maybe that'll change over time.

Zombie has a fx loop and Kustom has built-in modulation effects, so I should be okay with playing live too. I think I'll just have to learn to use my effects correctly, so working here to improve my signal chain and order is a great idea.
Lastly, I'll maybe get a webcam if I feel I need one. As long as my current is good enough for GMC, I'll keep it.

Audacity turned out to be really nice when I was mixing the Winter Collab. It's very easy and intuitive smile.gif

This post has been edited by Adam M: Jan 3 2019, 03:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 3 2019, 05:04 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam!

All those are great plans. I recommend you to get a SM57 since it's the standard for recording guitars. You won't regret it. I think that it's the best mix ever! (for the price).

Recording your guitar connected to a real amp and cabinet must be done with a mic. If not, you are missing a very important part of the sound. If you don't use mic, you need to use some kind of emulator. The easier way would be to use a plug in as I do in some of my lessons. I don't think that using phones output is a good idea for recording if you are planning to become serious about your guitar tone.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 3 2019, 05:04 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 3 2019, 05:17 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 3 2019, 05:04 PM) *
Hi Adam!

All those are great plans. I recommend you to get a SM57 since it's the standard for recording guitars. You won't regret it. I think that it's the best mix ever! (for the price).

Recording your guitar connected to a real amp and cabinet must be done with a mic. If not, you are missing a very important part of the sound. If you don't use mic, you need to use some kind of emulator. The easier way would be to use a plug in as I do in some of my lessons. I don't think that using phones output is a good idea for recording if you are planning to become serious about your guitar tone.

I'm a bit confused, I keep mistaking these two. Both 57 and 58 are recommended but I guess there's a lot of time before I even save up for that.

I meant to say I'll use the Scarlett only until I get a proper mic. But for practice and jamming I'll probably use the amps. I keep using Phones Out in Zombie for listening only.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 3 2019, 05:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Jan 3 2019, 01:17 PM) *
I'm a bit confused, I keep mistaking these two. Both 57 and 58 are recommended but I guess there's a lot of time before I even save up for that.

I meant to say I'll use the Scarlett only until I get a proper mic. But for practice and jamming I'll probably use the amps. I keep using Phones Out in Zombie for listening only.

When using Scarlett.. what amp do you use?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 3 2019, 05:46 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 3 2019, 05:37 PM) *
When using Scarlett.. what amp do you use?

When I get both Scarlett and a mic, I think I'll be using the Zombie with a 112 cab. That way I'll use the amp's fx loop and probably get better results than stacking all effects before the pre-amp section.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 4 2019, 02:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Jan 3 2019, 01:46 PM) *
When I get both Scarlett and a mic, I think I'll be using the Zombie with a 112 cab. That way I'll use the amp's fx loop and probably get better results than stacking all effects before the pre-amp section.

Yes, that's clear, but my question is... How do you record your guitar for videos and collab? what are you using now?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 4 2019, 04:10 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 4 2019, 02:34 PM) *
Yes, that's clear, but my question is... How do you record your guitar for videos and collab? what are you using now?

Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood your question. Currently I'm using my tablet for both audio and video. The quality isn't the best but I don't have anything better right now.

Edit: Hi! Just a quick update. I've got a lot of work to do over the weekend but I wanted to tell you I've been playing over the Blues Collab backing track today as a part of practice and it doesn't sound so bad. I had no way of recording though, but I'll probably bring in some takes on Monday evening smile.gif

Edit 2: I was wondering if you had a chance to try out Unidyne 545 mic or its model via some interface. As I discovered, Unidyne was being used by Iron Maiden in their earliest years. After some reading I found out it was a predecessor to SM57. Could you share your opinion on it, please?

This post has been edited by Adam M: Jan 5 2019, 07:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:34 PM