String Gauge Dilemma, Different guitars & tunings, different string gauge
Wilska
Mar 22 2010, 10:10 PM
GMC:er
Hey,

I have a slight problem. At the moment I play on 2 main guitars, one ESP LTD Alexi-600 which is a 25.5 scale neck with floyd rose and the other one is a Gibson Flying V which is 24 3/4 (I believe) scale length and has a hardtail bridge.

The Gibson V is tuned to E standard and has 10-46 gauge strings. This feels pretty near perfect for me.
The ESP LTD is tuned to Eb standard and also has 10-46 gauge strings. This is feels really sloppy!

What string gauge would you recommend for the ESP LTD to get a similar tension to the Gibson setup?
I used to play with 10-52, I don't really remember why I changed to 10-46. But I have raised my action quite a bit and still when I play heavy parts on the low e string e flaps and flops all over the place. Guess I became quite a hard picker after playing for over a year with the 52s?

Maybe I should go back to the 52, i'm just afraid it will impact my lead playing. Maybe I shouldn't worry?
What do you guys think? I know the obvious answer is "just try and feel for yourself" but I don't really enjoy the work that goes into changing string gauge on a floyd guitar so I don't want to do it too many times!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:14 AM