My String Bending Journey
Opossum
Aug 16 2012, 06:43 PM
GMC:er
I know this is a little long winded, but what can I say... it's my style. Just thought I'd add my seventh or eighth post on string bending because yes I've have another major breakthrough. Not like the breakthrough I had a couple of months ago, or the one before that, or the one before that, no... this one's different. It's different because strength and leverage aren't an issue anymore. And the secret is... it's all in your grip.
Before I go any further I'd like to say that my father was a professional golf instructor for 33 years, and he used to say "you can grip the club in many different ways, but a good grip makes the game a whole lot easier." He also said the ability to mimic is a great way to get better. Now he's gone, and I don't play much golf anymore, but I do play a lot of guitar. And I'm here to tell you that those two pieces of advice can make you a better string bender.
Okay so here's the proof... reference the following lessons
Pavel Denisjuk - Bending Heaven
Lale Nikic - AC/DC Riff Lickin
Jonathan Burgos - Stevie Ray Vaughn inspired phrasing
Lucio Antolini - 70's Latin Rock
Ivan Milenkovic - Santana Style Lesson

Pay attention to the over-the-top of the neck camera angle shots and notice how each one of these players tucks his finger's knuckles (especially the ring finger) almost under the neck when he bends the string. (I actually heard Guthrie Govan mention the importance of this in an interview once) And how the finger tips are slightly angled. This proved to be very difficult for me to copy, because it didn't feel natural. But once I made up my mind to mimic this movement, things have gotten a whole lot easier. Now I feel like the string is actually
gliding up the fretwire, as opposed to being pressed into it.

Another benefit to this grip is leverage. Now that your fingers aren't so arched, it becomes easier for them to support the opposing tension on the string as it's trying to go back down.

Hope this helps someone.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Marcus Siepen
Aug 17 2012, 05:39 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Your father was a wise man, and even though he played golf, what he said definitely makes sense i guitar playing as well, the grip can make a huge difference. Cool that you made another breakthrough :-)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 17 2012, 07:16 AM
Instructor
I agree with Marcus! You need to have a good grip your whole tone and technique depends on it!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 17 2012, 08:45 AM
Instructor
This is great to hear that you had a breakthrough. I love it when these things happen. But they only happen when you just keep pushing, keep searching and asking questions of yourself.

The more work you put in, the more answers are revealed. Some of them you may discard along the way but it gets you even closer to the right answers for you smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:49 PM