2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Playing Standing, A guide
Smikey2006
Aug 8 2007, 06:29 AM
GMC:er
Alright Guys firstly i CAN play standing biggrin.gif. But i thought that for some people who are new to playing standing it would be great to hear a few ideas and tips from veterens who have broke the bonds of standing and sitting. My only advice is practice, it takes a bit to re-adjust your hands and get your wrist to stretch but in time it comes. walk around and play instead of sitting down. We all know that every kid wants to be playing standing in front of a crowd 1 day and the best place to start is at home in the practice mood. Anyone else got any tips for playing standing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 8 2007, 06:43 AM
Well one unless you know what you doing dont put you strap as low as slash... find what makes playing for you fell as though you were sitting down!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
spdalton
Aug 8 2007, 06:54 AM
Yea I agree with ibanezkiller. It is much easier to play with your guitar around your belt or just above than down below your waist. A good strap also helps, as some cheap ones might rub and become uncomfortable.
If you want an intermediary between sitting and standing you can also play with one foot on your amp and the guitar resting on your thigh. That way there is still some support for the guitar but you are closer to standing.
Just my 2c.

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 8 2007, 06:56 AM
QUOTE (spdalton @ Aug 8 2007, 01:54 AM) *
A good strap also helps

Yes i have a fender leather thing ... NO SLIP makes for an enjoyable playing expearence!

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 8 2007, 07:45 AM
Instructor
The only thing to watch out for is how high/low you keep the guitar not to make your left hand wrist uncomfortable. Also it is actually better to keep it same height you practice sitting. Than you have same position of right hand and have same picking technique.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 8 2007, 07:50 AM
Only breaking of this rule is in metal.. the lower the better smile.gif stretching your wrist helps with this..

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 8 2007, 02:19 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Aug 8 2007, 02:50 AM) *
Only breaking of this rule is in metal.. the lower the better smile.gif stretching your wrist helps with this..

I never had a problem playing standing ... probably because I did the same as Pavel, and made sure that the guitar was high enough that it was a similar position to when I was sitting, even though a guitar that high up doesn;t necesarily look totally cool, it helps with the playing a lot!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 8 2007, 02:27 PM
Instructor
Yeah,high positioned guitar might look not so cool .
Sometimes I'm changing the height during gig,setting it a bit higher for harder songs and then lower it back
just to look more cool and IN. cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 8 2007, 02:38 PM
Unless yer playin funk music or a blues show the guitars gotta stay at belt level or below the belt smile.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 8 2007, 02:40 PM
Instructor
Yep,sort of cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 8 2007, 02:43 PM
Instructor
Who's gonna tell me what is IN?? How do you know it's IN? smile.gif

Petrucci and Rusty Cooley keep their guitar extremely high and they both look and play totally kick-ass! Now - you tell me - are Rusty and John IN or OUT?? smile.gif They are masters of progressive metal!! I think THEY MAKE the rules!!

This post has been edited by Pavel: Aug 8 2007, 02:44 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 8 2007, 02:48 PM
Instructor
Those are tastes for music indeed Pavel.
But chicks probably love more guys like Slash or som...
Guess that's IN...

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 8 2007, 02:52 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I wear mine high up - guitar that is. I long ago gave up on trying to look cool and accepted that I'll always just look like a scruffy geek - even my daughter tells me I do tongue.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

'Dad you can't go out dressed like that!'
'Dad you're scruffy'
'Dad that tee shirt is embarrassing me'

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 8 2007, 02:52 PM
Instructor
Tony,great as always!!!!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 8 2007, 02:57 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 8 2007, 09:43 AM) *
Who's gonna tell me what is IN?? How do you know it's IN? smile.gif

Petrucci and Rusty Cooley keep their guitar extremely high and they both look and play totally kick-ass! Now - you tell me - are Rusty and John IN or OUT?? smile.gif They are masters of progressive metal!! I think THEY MAKE the rules!!

Yep, Rusty Cooley, Pettrucci and ... Andrew Cockburn! Playing high up HAS to be cool laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 8 2007, 02:59 PM
Instructor
You know i think if Slash was playing naked without even underwear people would say it's IN!! But nobody would say that he's actually embarrassing himself to death!!!

Does it mean you have to look like a moron in order to be "cool" or "IN"?

You look like a cool guitar player at your gig Muris - knowing what you want and knowing that people are there to listen to your music and not seeing you playing fool of yourself!!

IN and COOL are too often interpreted in a TOTALLY wrong way!!

Stay cool as you are now! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 8 2007, 03:00 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Thanks Muris smile.gif .

Perhaps I should add though that sometimes I lack my daughter's sartorial elegance because I've spent half the morning helping her pick her day's wardrobe (she insist's isn't just colour co-ordinated but that the shades of purple or whatever have to match!) - leaving me with just about enough time to throw on a scruffy pair of jeans and a very old faded t-shirt tongue.gif before we go out.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 8 2007, 03:02 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
This might be off topic but i dont see how Slash or Jimmy Page play that low, i have my guitar up on my chest, like Cooley, Petrucci, or Broderick.

I gave up on trying to look "cool" or "in" the second i wore a Cannibal Corpse T-Shirt my freshman year in high school smile.gif

Then again, beofre that i never really tried...or after....or ever.

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Aug 8 2007, 03:02 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 8 2007, 03:03 PM
Instructor
That's how things work in this world we live in Pavel...
I'm talking of music bussiness,but finding the best position
for guitar regarding to comfort is the prime goal of course. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 8 2007, 03:11 PM
i just bought a strap, so tonight was first time playing practicing standing up, and I too slung it high biggrin.gif felt best for playing. And besides, I am learning guitar for the love of music, not to be cool. I couldn't be cool if i tried, except maybe when im dressed all in white for when i play lawn bowls, my outfit glows in the sun. tongue.gif

As I would like to play live one day, learning with a strap seems a must.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:11 AM