2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Getting Myself A Strat!, Hopefully!
SonofDestiny
Nov 5 2008, 10:18 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

This Friday I'm going to Belgium to take a look at the Stratocaster of which I uploaded the picture. smile.gif The specs are the following:

Body: Alder, fender japan.
Neck: fender usa, c-shape, rosewood fredboard, vintage frets
Tuners: Kluson deluxe
Hardware: Fender usa Pickups: Steffesen vintage

What do you guys think? I talked to Kjutte about it and he said that I had to check the tremelo system. Any more of those things I might want to keep in mind?

The guy that's selling it says that the original price was waaaay over 1000 euros (about $1300+) and is selling it for 450 euros (580 dollars) now. He also mentioned that the guitar was put together by monsterrelics. What else... hmm he's selling it because he only plays gypsy now. It sounds like a really good and honest deal to me, but I would like to hear what you guys think. I want this guitar so badly that I already named it Betsie and I might not be able to see the bad things in her ohmy.gif

Thanks in advance!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Nov 5 2008, 10:35 AM
Learning Roadie
The thing I'd look for to in a second hand guitar is the neck alignment, fret wear and fingerboard damage and the machine heads. also check the area where the neck is bolted to the body for any signs of misuse / repair. Also just listen to the guitar without it plugged in to an amp and listen to how it sounds.

Check also if the pup's work and the pots and the slector switch (the pots and switch can be replaced but it will cost you)

If thats all ok and you pay for it I'll still take it to a guitar tech for a proper set up.

I bought my Jap Strat back in 95 for about £270 (roughly 320 euros) second hand (it was made about 1985) it did need some frets replacing but its my main guitar and I still love it.

Best of luck in your purchase smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Crazyfret: Nov 5 2008, 10:40 AM

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
superize
Nov 5 2008, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I dont have anything to say on what you shuld look at but the guitar looks awsome and if it plays weel and look fine i think you shulb buy it

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 5 2008, 11:08 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If you can picture yourself on stage with an orange guitar by all means go ahead and buy it wink.gif

Listen to the acoustics of it, does it sustain, is the sound full. <- with it unplugged

And make sure the neck isn't twisted. All the rest can be fixed one way or another. You could take off of the price if you find something out of order but if the neck is ok and the wood has a good tone you should be fine.

Possibly you can cut more off of the price, I don't think the color attracts that many buyers and he's had to lower it so much already he must be desperate to sell.

What's "monsterrelics" by the way?

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Nov 5 2008, 11:20 AM
@ Crazyfret: Thanks! I will put those things on my list.

@ MickeM: Picture myself with an orange guitar... hell yeah!!! biggrin.gif

Monsterrelics... I think it's this: http://www.monsterrelic.com/ smile.gif

What does a twisted neck look like by the way? That's probably a stupid question, but I'm Dutch and in the meaning of the word it would look like two snakes strangled together..!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Nov 5 2008, 11:26 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Nov 5 2008, 10:20 AM) *
What does a twisted neck look like by the way? That's probably a stupid question, but I'm Dutch and in the meaning of the word it would look like two snakes strangled together..!

Well if you look down the neck from the body end the frets should look roughly paralell to each other (they are slightly curved due to the radius of the finger board). If the neck is 'twisted' the frets will look as though they are closer on one side than the other.

I could do with finding a picture to show you. Click on the link for an example

Guitar Buying Advice

This post has been edited by Crazyfret: Nov 5 2008, 11:46 AM

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Nov 5 2008, 11:35 AM
Ooh right! As if there's been too much tension from the strings?

I get this message by the way when I click on the link:

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Nov 5 2008, 11:48 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Nov 5 2008, 10:35 AM) *
Ooh right! As if there's been too much tension from the strings?

I get this message by the way when I click on the link:

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information."

Sorry about that link updated.

The neck usually twists either if the wood is of poor quality or the neck has been close to a heat source like a radiator or not been stored properly.

This post has been edited by Crazyfret: Nov 5 2008, 11:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Nov 5 2008, 07:42 PM
Orange for a guitars color is not my thing but it's your choice ofcourse

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Nov 5 2008, 07:50 PM
Remember that, whether you like it or not, a colour like that will have a major impact on the guitars value if you ever decide to part with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Nov 5 2008, 08:08 PM
Make sure it's a legit Fender USA...

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Nov 5 2008, 08:22 PM
How will I know whether it's a legit Fender USA?

Oh and @ Moon Boots: I hope I'll never have to sell a guitar wink.gif Might that be the case though... I'd probably go for a repainting and ask more for it tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Nov 5 2008, 08:37 PM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Nov 5 2008, 08:22 PM) *
How will I know whether it's a legit Fender USA?

Ask for the serial number thats on the headstock, you should be able to check if its genuine online.

QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Nov 5 2008, 08:22 PM) *
Oh and @ Moon Boots: I hope I'll never have to sell a guitar. Might that be the case though... I'd probably go for a repainting and ask more for it

Great, hope it's a guitar for life smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
reallylongnickna...
Nov 5 2008, 10:19 PM
Don't count your chickens till the guitar is paid for. There are many good deals out there. Be patient if you don't get this one. I scored a 2008 Yngwie Malmsteen guitar with case for $1200 US this week. Not one scratch. I went there to look at an amp and he tells me he also has a guitar for sale that no one has made any offers on. So I said let's see it. I couldn't believe he sold it to me for so cheap. After tax and all that, it's a $2000 guitar. Yes it's American made. All Malmsteen models are.

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Nov 5 2008, 10:27 PM
If the guitar is from monsterrelic it's not a genuine fender strat. What monsterielic does is building vintage looking replicas or putting guitars together from vintage parts. You can chose between different necks and bodies that they aged artificially. They are basically a custom shop for vintage looking guitars. There guitars are quite expensive and I once played one that not only looked perfectly beat up vintage but also sounded like that.

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Nov 5 2008, 10:36 PM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Nov 5 2008, 12:08 PM) *
Make sure it's a legit Fender USA...

But in the first post he says the body is Fender Japan , so its not a usa Strat. For that price, I wouldn't buy that guitar, as the value will never be much considering it is not genuine American, and it was artifically reliced.

I bought my Genuine American Strat Plus off Ebay for $680 a few years back. There are alot of used American Strats in the $500-$800 range.

I also learned that you can't get too excited about one guitar when buying used - There are always good deals out there- I would imagine there will be some killer deals closer to Christmas since nobody has any money right now and will be selling things.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Nov 5 2008, 10:49 PM
As I wrote in the post above its a vintage replica. Monsterelic guitars sell new (looking old and vintage) depending on the specs for about 1300 USD.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 6 2008, 01:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Nov 5 2008, 10:18 AM) *
Hey guys,

This Friday I'm going to Belgium to take a look at the Stratocaster of which I uploaded the picture. smile.gif The specs are the following:

Body: Alder, fender japan.
Neck: fender usa, c-shape, rosewood fredboard, vintage frets
Tuners: Kluson deluxe
Hardware: Fender usa Pickups: Steffesen vintage

What do you guys think? I talked to Kjutte about it and he said that I had to check the tremelo system. Any more of those things I might want to keep in mind?

The guy that's selling it says that the original price was waaaay over 1000 euros (about $1300+) and is selling it for 450 euros (580 dollars) now. He also mentioned that the guitar was put together by monsterrelics. What else... hmm he's selling it because he only plays gypsy now. It sounds like a really good and honest deal to me, but I would like to hear what you guys think. I want this guitar so badly that I already named it Betsie and I might not be able to see the bad things in her ohmy.gif

Thanks in advance!

1300$ is 1000e man, it is not waaaay over 1000e. You can check this out on any currency list on the web.
Also for 450e you can't expect miracles. My guess frets are worn out, and the sound isn't that great. Don't expect full Strat sound definitely, it's mediocre guitar.
But if you like it and like the sound of it, I think you should get it. Just don't watch it as a real strat, it is best to look at it as a guitar that is similar to strat, and if it has a good sound and feel, than it's for you, if not, just skip it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Nov 6 2008, 10:25 AM
@ Ivan: haha yeah I know 1300 dollars = 1000 euros, but I said 1300+ wink.gif The dude said that his guitar was worth way over 1000 euros and I wanted to show how much that was in dollars nahmean:D

I'm getting a bit skeptical after these talks guys. Which is good! Don't wanna waste 450 euros as a pour student.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noangels
Nov 6 2008, 01:02 PM
Looks realy nice,got to love that coloured headstock:)

Seems to be worth that(imo)Might want to check out that body as lot of Japanese ones are
basswood(nothing wrong with that,its a softer wood so easier for them to rout)

realy like that colour,if it was local I would snap it up

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:58 AM